PDA

View Full Version : Custom intake manifold

spetz
19-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey guys,

I am thinking about having a custom intake manifold made up.

I have a 6A12 MIVEC engine (FTO MIVEC) in a lancer and I was thinking of using the standard runners (they have a dual length intake) but of course porting, polishing and honing this plus adding a large custom plenum mated to a Magna V6 Throttle body which is 65mm (mine is 60mm standard)

What sort of gains would I get? Benefits? And at what RPM range?
Is this a hard job and is there a chance of "stuffing" it? Or does it basically follow the bigger is better rule where if I increase air flow it will increase power?

Other mods on the car are race tuned length extractors, high flow cat, mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, apexi power intake filter relocated to the front bar, Greddy emanage with ignition/injector harness.

garett
22-03-2005, 02:58 PM
im not too sure what website you think you are on
the reason that no one has answered your question is because this site is about honda tuning so most members are about tuning hondas, id be happy to help if i had any idea :honda:

spetz
23-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah I realise I am on a honda website.

But seeing as MIVEC and VTEC are based on the same technology I am just looking for answers from a "Hona point of view" and just use that as information.

Because I know a lot of VTEC engines have a aftermarket intake manifold, maybe people can explain to me what gains there are from this, in what range, any losses? Smoothness? ie bad idling anything like that?
Just any info would be great!

garett
23-03-2005, 12:52 PM
well you were right about the bigger is better idea
so if the ports leading to the head are better then thoeretically the power will increase however if they are too big you will find driving a real task as your lancer will no longer be a smooth little go getter but a fuel hungry biatch which only likes to be revved
i think if you are going to spend the money on upgrading it do some inner head work or just update the throttle body is a good start
a lot of members on here use the standard oem intake manifolds or ones of other honda engines as a lot of parts are interchangeable i think the only honda i know who has a custom made inlet manifold is a turbo engine

possible get your original inlet manifold polished and upgrade your throttle body because you only are going up 5mm you could possibly mat the magna v6 body to the inlet with some engineering

hope to be of help :honda: