PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen CRV model guide? (2002 - 2006)

dorikin
28-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a 2nd gen CRV as a daily. From my little research I've found that the facelift model was released in 2005-2006.

Is the facelift model worth the extra coin. What were the major differences compared to pre-facelift?

and what are the difference in models (RD, RD Sport)? I think RD is the lower spec and Sport has the colour coded bumpers and moulds..?

Anything I should look out for or stay away from, etc

Thanks

JDM DC2R
28-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Check 4wd system works when you buy it! And no clunking from transfer case or diff!

brett2372
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I have a 2005 standard since new.
Things to look out for are Cons:

Contaminated differential lock fluid - vehicle will make a grinding knocking noise as it transitions out of 4WD into 2WD for normal driving. This will set you back about $340.00 a pop.

Airconditioning - any air coming through warm when set to cold or just blowing warm on start then blowing cold. Indicates a failed condenser. Big dollars between $1500.00 and 4000.00 to get fixed.

Generally is a thirsty vehicle for good performance. 11 - 12 litres around town, averages around 9 litres on the highway.

Very expensive parts even at this age.

Pro's:

Gallons of space

Fairly reliable , above malfunctions the only ones in our 7 and a bit years of ownership.

Has quite a few additions to the previous model such as:

Rear center lap sah seatbelt

Elctro lumniscent gauges and what you could call a trip computer with fuel consumption and ambient outside air temperature display.

cruise control and radio switches on steering wheel.

16 inch wheels

bolder looking front end.

I think that is about it.

Hope this helps.

Dogchaser
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
We have owned a 2006 sport since new....
Fabulous and reliable.
Smooth and refined.
Why...i have owned european cars before...build quality in the crv after 7 years is superior to bmw new...
Think i am joking....driven a 7yr old bmw?...mmmmm no thanks after our Aussie roads
The higher profile tyres give a far nicer ride than fancy low profile
Other family members own x trails and subarus....the crv is a class above in ride and general smoothness
The 5 spd auto is great both in town and the highway...combined with cruise control and trips are a breeze
It will kick down quickly and get into Honda rev zone easily..will cruise all day @ 120 (just not up hills)
Both the xtrail and forester idle like tractors in comparison..don't get me started on their auto pieces of crap..would rather a 70's holden 'traumatic'
We took the crv to the snow last year...drove on ice without chains no problem at all
It has more room inside than my mates x5 which cost 2.5 times the price
The sport has a sunroof and higher finishing inside...cruise, stereo with MP3 (the only issue with my 06 euro lux), air con, armrest on front seats
The real big one that women love is the high driving position..and ease of access into/out of vehicle....
For a used car of its age...fantastic choice
I would get the Sport....with a 2nd hand car why get the poverty pack?

Limbo
12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
4 speed auto vs 5 speed auto
5 speed manual vs 6 speed manual
118kw vs 125kw

other than that they are similar.
btw,,, i brought 2 CRVs 2003 models as run abouts also.
Needed the space, sold the civics now.

They are a fun car to drive, good power and room

btw sports is the way to go, better interior, sunroof and cruise control.