PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Can

toE
02-09-2003, 01:16 AM
can anyone explain the function of this??

i c chrome ones for sell online and was wondering if i can change mine just for looks.. :)

vti-2
02-09-2003, 01:23 AM
AFAIK they are used on turbo engine's, not N/A... :roll:

Correct me if i'm wrong guys...

K20AR
02-09-2003, 01:12 PM
AFAIK they are used on turbo engine's, not N/A... :roll:

Correct me if i'm wrong guys...

they can be used for NA engines...all the excess oil from the rocker is caught and distributed through the catch can.

It's useful for track racing as well....

cheers

Hadean
02-09-2003, 03:13 PM
The oil catch can is used to catch 'blow by', oil vapours from the engine's crankcase build up in the combustion process and needs to go somewhere. Environmental authorities consider this an emission so it needs to be dealt with.

In the case of modern Honda engines, this 'blow-by' vapour is directed back into the intake manifold for re-combustion. The emission is 'consumed' and you eliminate it completely.

In the case of the K series engine, there is a PCV (Positive crankcase ventilation) valve that allows the passage of air FROM the air box into the ROCKER-COVER and travels down into the crankcase where the oil vapour is mixed with air. It is then directed FROM the CRANKCASE into the intake manifold where it is consumed in the combustion process.

So if you need to use a oil catch-can, you would connect it to the 'blow-by' tube located in the crankcase, NOT the rocker cover. This is true for K series engines. Older engines (and I don't know which ones) that only have crankcase ventilation at the rocker cover, which in that case is the only place to put a catch can.

When you're racing, you don't really care about emissions and you don't want to burn oil crap with your fue/air charge so you collect it in a can for later sniffing :lol:

You can use it for either NA or FI engines.

wynode
02-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

crx_16x
03-09-2003, 05:35 AM
The main purpose of a catch can on a turbo car is to remove the blow by gas from the intake air so the engine doesnt detonate.

In NA cars the main purpose is to reduce the crankcase pressure.

There is a good article on www.theoldone.com about catch cans.

Regards,
James.

A'PEXi
04-09-2003, 11:35 PM
lol "for later sniffing"... nice explanation :)

ALLMTR
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM
There is a good article on www.theoldone.com about catch cans.

Regards,
James.

Definately a good article. I've done mine similar to that