PDA

View Full Version : Oil for a Turbo honda?

Weq
29-12-2003, 10:04 PM
What kind of oil have you guys used for ur turbo setups?
Everyone always recommends mobile one, but what about hi end castrol? Honda recomends 30w10 type oil, and castrol makes a 'spec R - good for hi revving fours' 30w5 type oil? Would this be bettter/same as mobil one for our honda's, anyone had experience? Its only $10 cheaper and i'm going to be changing every 5000.

ps.
The turbo will be totally oil cooled.

-Weq

KnfUzn
29-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Mobil 1

diu le lo mo
29-12-2003, 11:34 PM
use Trust(5w30) or HKS(5w50) if u have money..... or if money is all right, use Motul(5w30) or (10w40).....Mobile 1 is not worth to buy....it s not worth what its cost now......if u want economical, use Shell helix (5w40).........But I recommend u use Motul(10w40)....U WILL LOVE IT

Weq
30-12-2003, 02:06 AM
where do u grab the motul from? approx pirce?

BLKCRX
30-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Only use Motul, i use a 15w50 full easter oil let me know if u need some oil i have a good contract in qld for oil, only thing is u will need to buy 20L at a time or more, its still more expensive than mobil1

You also will / SHOULD / DO need a oil cooler iv pulled down many honda b engines which have been running turbo and every one shows signs of overheating oil on the bearings on the big ends / caps.

Use Motul oil and use a oil cooler period.

PS Make sure u use high quality earl ss hoses / earls fittings for your oil cooler setup last thing you want is oil 2 spill leak out, one leak on a main oil line could leave you with no oil in your engine within seconds.

Regards James

integra97
30-12-2003, 01:50 PM
As James says use a 15w 50, or 20w 50. A 5w 30 or 10w 40 might be a bit to thin for a turbo honda. I tested my car with a 5w 40 and my car smoked like crazy.
Not a good look

Weq
30-12-2003, 05:08 PM
i'm currently using a 15w40, its been pretty good but definatly needs a change every 5000. Has anyone has experience with castrol? Can i buy this motul stuf off the shelf, i really dont feel like floogging out for a years supply of oil in 1 go (read: no money).

SleeperCivicEX
15-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I recommend Castrol Syntec synthetic. Sythetic oils will coat the parts longer under heat than conventional oil will. I used to run Mobil 1 but only run Castrol now.

incoming
09-03-2004, 11:15 AM
You also will / SHOULD / DO need a oil cooler iv pulled down many honda b engines which have been running turbo and every one shows signs of overheating oil on the bearings on the big ends / caps.

Use Motul oil and use a oil cooler period.

im using pennzoil synthetic (cant rem the ratings)
how do u know when its time to use the oil cooler?... atm my dc2r-t is only running 4-9psi and my mechanic said when u notice oil coming out of the blow off valve get a oil catch can.. should i be getting a oil cooler then too?..

Weq
09-03-2004, 12:50 PM
You need an oil cooler when u start to notice the Oil getting heat damanged. Search google for what heat damaged oil is like :) I know James defaintly recommends a cooler for all his setups.

Regarding the thickness of the 5w30 Castrol Synth R- ive been using it for around 3000k's in my 140,000 turbo d16y1. Have no smoke at all and the texture is still very good and clear. Oil level is perfect also, cant say ive used more then a MM or 3 on the dipstick.

vti-2
09-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda recomends 30w10 type oil, and castrol makes a 'spec R - good for hi revving fours' 30w5 type oil?

Weq - I think you have the ratings the wrong way around.

To answer your question though, if you only have a mild->moderate turbo setup most leading oils will do the job, i.e. Mobil, Castrol etc. I personally recommend Mobil over the others. Shell Helix is ok.

And yes, Motul is pretty good stuff. You pay for it though. Let us know what you end up using and how it goes.

Weq
09-03-2004, 09:37 PM
lol, yup they are.

You need an oil cooler when u start to notice the Oil getting heat damanged. Search google for what heat damaged oil is like :) I know James defaintly recommends a cooler for all his setups.

Regarding the thickness of the 5w30 Castrol Synth R- ive been using it for around 3000k's in my 140,000 turbo d16y1. Have no smoke at all and the texture is still very good and clear. Oil level is perfect also, cant say ive used more then a MM or 3 on the dipstick.

thats what im using