PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare/stressful EP3 purchase. Help! :(

LittleDragon^^
02-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone!

First things first, let me tell you the story so far. Read in a Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough voice to dull the stress, contempt, anger you might feel via my projection of this tale...

So I bought a 2005 EP3 in CW from a reputable dealership in Syd late Dec 2012. The car was put on a truck on the 2nd Jan to begin it's trip up to Darwin - This transport company charged $2000. It arrived in Bris the following day then sat there for 3 weeks.

After waiting for 2 weeks I called the transport company to ask why it was sitting there and was told "there's no trucks going up to Darwin at the moment". "OK", I said and continued to wait. The due date for arrival was 23rd Jan and when I noticed the tracking information hadn't updated to "in transit" (from Bris to Darwin) on 21st (it takes around 3 days to drive to Darwin) I called again - this time I was a bit firmer with my words while remaining calm, polite and friendly. This time I was told "there are too many cars going up to Darwin and we don't have enough trucks". So I've been told 2 difference stories by the transport company. A few hours later I get a call saying the car is on a truck and heading up to Darwin - co-incidental after my phone call?

23rd Jan arrives and no car - I call again and I'm told "the driver has had difficulties with the trailer unloaded cars. Updated ETA is 26th - Australia Day long weekend.....sigh...

I call on Tuesday 29th Jan in the morning and I'm told "your car is here and will be ready for pick-up at 2pm". HOORAY!....nek minit...I get a call at 130pm "I'm very sorry but we've just noticed that the rear window has been smashed. It's completely destroyed and in pieces". So my car arrived there over the weekend, the rear window had been smashed during transport and no one reported it to be forwarded onto me? They're going to pay for it to be fixed, as they should.

I grew up in Darwin and know how pathetic the customer service is up here. It's the result of no competition. I was constantly on the phone with the TC to get results. Things were moving so slow, "we're waiting on windscreens O'Brien to find a window", "Windscreens O'Brien can't source a window and are now waiting for Honda Australia to get back to them"...waiting for Honda Australia!??!?! I had to take action!!! I called the dealership and they sourced a window within hours. I passed on the info and the window has been ordered and on it's way to Darwin as of yesterday - Friday 1st Feb.

THEN I take the car to the MVR to get it rego'd. The pit inspectors fail the car for HID globes. Sigh... I call the dealer and they've sent a kit to convert to Halogen. They've given me 1 month rego - the time frame I have to get everything fixed.

At this point, do you think my frustration is warranted?

I drive the car home and the aircon cuts in and out! - "are you kidding me"?!?!? If you know anything about Darwin it's HOT and HUMID this time of year. I pretty much begin to cook in the car! Now I have to take the car to an auto-electrician at the dealer's expense. I NEED air-conditioning in the car.

End rant.

Now - Can anyone please help me with the aircon? What I've noticed so far about the cutting in and out problem:

The aircon sometimes runs fine as soon as I start the car
I had the gas checked. It was low so was topped up. Can rule out a gas issue???
The compressor works but cuts in and out - usually a rev can get it going again but not every time. Also, sometimes when it works it works very poorly and the air is only slightly cool...nowhere near cold.

Please, please, please...has someone had this problem with their EP3? I'm hoping it's just a minor electrical problem and nothing needs replacing...but knowing my luck with this experience so far, that won't be the case.

So, as a pre-emptive - is the aircon compressor from a DC5R compatible with the EP3R?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

kenc77
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
If your revs drop too low ie under about 500rpms the compressor will be disengaged by the ac clutch switch to stop the engine stalling, if this is what's happening I'd suggest investigating why the revs are dropping. Might be spark plugs. Or else might be a dodgey ac clutch relay.

Winter
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
it cuts because the system maybe overheating pls check that your condenser fan is working (as its a built in mechanism to protect the system)

also there could possibly too much or too little gas ( also a safeguard to protect system)

also your condenser could be on its way out

Jasemas
02-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Damn man read the first half in a morgan freeman voice... but then the fustration took over
I recon if you want to buy a car and have it shipped - you might as well fly up and drive it back home
Sorry to hear about the problems with your EP3
Do as the others have said and report back
How's your A/C belt going?

LittleDragon^^
02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
If your revs drop too low ie under about 500rpms the compressor will be disengaged by the ac clutch switch to stop the engine stalling, if this is what's happening I'd suggest investigating why the revs are dropping. Might be spark plugs. Or else might be a dodgey ac clutch relay.

I just took the car for a 30 minute drive and the engine idles at around 1000rpm. Never drops lower.

it cuts because the system maybe overheating pls check that your condenser fan is working (as its a built in mechanism to protect the system)

also there could possibly too much or too little gas ( also a safeguard to protect system)

also your condenser could be on its way out

All fans were working when my mechanic and an aircon mechanic had a quick look. The compressor wasn't performing as it should when at my mechanic but was fine when the aircon mechanic had a quick look/test.
Gas was checked and appeared to be low so my mechanic filled it up, then the compressor started working and the gauges shot up! I don't think there's too much gas in the aircon system now cause the aircon worked fine when I took it for a drive a few minutes ago.

I'll mention it could be the condenser to the auto-electrician next week.

Damn man read the first half in a morgan freeman voice... but then the fustration took over
I recon if you want to buy a car and have it shipped - you might as well fly up and drive it back home
Sorry to hear about the problems with your EP3
Do as the others have said and report back
How's your A/C belt going?

I'd considered driving it back up it chose not to - extra 3 days off work wasn't viable (I'm a personal trainer and run as a sole trader), putting an extra crapload of k's on the car, driving through the desert would mean a service as soon as it arrived in Darwin, hitting large animals, etc.

Haven't checked the AC belt. I'm assuming my mechanic would have had a look??? He's very thorough but I'll mention it to the sparky.

Thanks for the help guys! Keep the suggestions coming! :)

LittleDragon^^
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Received my HID to Halogen kit today. Is there any way of getting to the back of the headlight to change out the HID globe without removing the front bumper?

Grayfox
04-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Doesn't the car come with HID from factory?

And since when does having HID=fail unless it is in the older reflector housing which means after market job is an easy fix since you replace the HID bulb with a halogen.
If it came with HIDs tell the RTA to shut it since the car came with HIDs it is a pass.

LittleDragon^^
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately the MVR here are very by-the-book. The inspector even explained the ADR to me: HIDs must have self levelling function and high pressure water sprayers (for the lenses) to be road legal. Even if it's legal in Japan, this should have been converted to halogen before being passed. sigh...

xenonkuraz
05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
half way through the story i thought the car was gonna be lost in transit :/

starocean01
05-02-2013, 12:39 AM
oh man i dont know what to say...but
GOOD LUCK!! hope everything goes well after

LittleDragon^^
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
UPDATE!

Took it into a workshop today and they diagnosed the aircon problem - faulty TX valve...whatever that is.

I need to get a TX Valve, Receiver Dryer and O-Rings. Can you guys recommend a reliable/FAST Honda parts supplier?

Grayfox
06-02-2013, 04:56 PM
The car comes from swindon UK, they have same rules as we do here re guarding HIDs.

Must have auto levelers and washers.
So if it came into the country like that and got complied like that that means it followed all australian road laws.

If it was an after market job it is another matter.

LittleDragon^^
06-02-2013, 07:33 PM
The car comes from swindon UK, they have same rules as we do here re guarding HIDs.

Must have auto levelers and washers.
So if it came into the country like that and got complied like that that means it followed all australian road laws.

If it was an after market job it is another matter.

I agree with you completely Grayfox. I had a look at the ADRs they quoted (ADR13, 46 and 47) but I can't make sense of it and not patient enough to go over it at the moment. Can anyone decipher the legal wording?

androo
06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
It may be built in the UK, however the cars destined for the Japanese market were different to those for the UK market. Japan does not require the auto levelers or washers.

Grayfox
07-02-2013, 12:04 AM
If it came with factory installed HID AND IT was directly shipped here(like the FN2) it would have had to comply with our ADR(unless it was a gray import from japan)

EKVTIR-T
07-02-2013, 12:06 AM
If it came with factory installed HID AND IT was directly shipped here(like the FN2) it would have had to comply with our ADR(unless it was a gray import from japan)
Its an ep3 which is jdm import,not locally available hence his issues

LittleDragon^^
08-02-2013, 01:12 PM
UPDATE 08/02/13

Halogens passed the pits at the MVR and aircon parts are being arranged by the dealership. Top quality service. Never been treated so well in my life.

CEVA on the other hand...useless. I was told last week that they were going to pick up a new window from a place in Sydney and delivered today. Called them this morning to see if it was arriving and they said they'd call me back. Nothing after 4 hours. I call them back and I get told it hasn't been picked up from Sydney yet! Their excuses/reasons? - The spare parts shop doesn't take AMEX so they had to arrange cash payment, TNT (parent company to CEVA) hasn't been back to the shop to pick up the window because "we're so far away (Darwin) from everything so they don't bother hurrying up the shipping jobs to us".
The window is being picked up today and should be here by next Wednesday latest...I won't hold my breath.

This is beyond a joke. I can't/won't take the risk of driving my new EP3 to the shops or to work because I don't have a rear window. This lazy service is interfering with my life!!!! I'm sure the manager of the Darwin CEVA branch wouldn't be happy with the level of service he's given me if it was him in my shoes...

Has anyone had any issues like this?? Any advice on making a complaint and getting some sort of compensation!??! I feel I should get at least a partial refund for this "service"! Am I being unreasonable???

Sorry for the complaining...Just so frustrating.

lolmclol
08-02-2013, 07:56 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?47794-Vent-Little-things-that-bother-you.....

Grayfox
08-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Get compo.

I'd be steaming.

MassiEk4
09-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your EP3.

Here's what I can contribute.
I haven't dealt with CEVA but I did sell my S14 and the buyer was also in Darwin. First impression of CEVA Melbourne Staff when I dropped the car off, Typical Hot Blond Secretary ignoring everyone while she talks to her girl friends, Waited 30min until someone noticed I was in the waiting room; I could of robbed the place and no one would of noticed!!
Anyway the owner received the S14 2 weeks late, the same drama as yours. But as for the window they should do their best to replace it asap to keep you as a customer for the future, rule #1 in business.

Also the air-con, on EGs' especially in the US it is bad connectors that get rusted/come lose.

Hope this nightmare turns into a dream come true.

LittleDragon^^
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Get compo.

I'd be steaming.

I'm going to try. Have been talking to a lawyer friend of mine. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear about your EP3.

Here's what I can contribute.
I haven't dealt with CEVA but I did sell my S14 and the buyer was also in Darwin. First impression of CEVA Melbourne Staff when I dropped the car off, Typical Hot Blond Secretary ignoring everyone while she talks to her girl friends, Waited 30min until someone noticed I was in the waiting room; I could of robbed the place and no one would of noticed!!
Anyway the owner received the S14 2 weeks late, the same drama as yours. But as for the window they should do their best to replace it asap to keep you as a customer for the future, rule #1 in business.

Also the air-con, on EGs' especially in the US it is bad connectors that get rusted/come lose.

Hope this nightmare turns into a dream come true.

I expected it to take a bit longer to arrive in Darwin but 4 weeks is a bit of a stretch. Being given 2 different reasons as to why is also annoying since they don't know what is going on and just choose to make stuff up (lie).

Parts for the aircon have been located by IMG and will make their way up to me on Monday. I have faith this will happen on time - Gavin's customer service is above and beyond!