PDA

View Full Version : MSD dissy

d-train
05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Im going to replace the distributor/coil over in my DA9 integra, and was wondering a) should I stick with the stock oem parts? b) use an MSD external coil upgrade kit from ebay (and will a USDM distributor cap fit a AUDM dissy)

Thanks heaps!

Snoop_gee
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv76AIEw26s

its pretty useless upgrading the dissy if there hasnt been much work done to the motor.
OEM honda ignition paired up with good ngk wires and plugs is all that might be needed.
The flipside to that is it can get rid of the bogginess when upgrading the dissy.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/skspeed/WiringDiagram6425.jpg

Besides find the dissy being available on ebay.?
Whats teh reason for the upgrade?

EKVTIR-T
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Snoop_dag is correct,unless youre pushing big HP turbo or built allmotor then the oem is fine :thumbsup:

Chr1s
05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
OEM is fine on most built motors anyway.

trism
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
oem dizzy good for 500hp anyways

stndrd
06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
It is only when you go to F/I or extra high compression with big cams that you will need to look at modifying the ignition curve in the distributor.

Chr1s
06-02-2013, 08:53 PM
What does a camshaft have to do with the type of ignition system you have?......

stndrd
06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I am not saying that the camshaft itself effects what ignition system you run, but how the ignition curve and advance/retardation will be effected by altering camshaft timing.

The ignition system is the most overlooked by the majority of people out there, but modifying the ignition curve or when the advance or retardation happens within the distributor to a persons specific set up creates a much more accurate and stronger spark.

Imagine what would happen if on a turbocharged car you had to set initial timing to +25 deg and then instead of it retarding back to +15 deg when you hit boost the standard distributor advanced it even further?

This is one of many reasons why the modern ignition system has individual coil packs controlled by the ecu over a distributor

Chr1s
06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
What?....

You tune the ignition map (or curve that you talk about) via the ECU. There is nothing in the distributor that has a curve associated with timing, you might be able to run a characteristic on the output of the ignitor and regulator and what are you going to do with this? Nothing.

The camshaft has no say in the selection of your ignition system, unless the cause and effect of it making you have to run engine speeds extremely high that the standard ignitor physically can't keep up. But this is NOT a camshaft issue.

Tuning of a COP and distributor system are identical once dwell settings and other factors have been accounted for.

In regards to tuning the turbo/NA - the distributor is meant to have a base timing set, this is not to be touched after being tuned, if you want to slap a turbo kit on with an aspirated tune and go for some thrashies, that's your own money you can waste on stupidity. If you think COP are superior to avoiding any sort of adjustment, what if I retarded your reference trigger for your COP system?! Same thing. No system is fool proof.

cbauto
07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
wut?

pm cbauto, can solve all your issues.