PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Pinging and Valve Clearance Issue

haitim01
06-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2009 accord euro and it has the pinging issue but Honda have nicely agreed to replace some parts and flash the ECU for free even though its out of warranty...

My question is... its due to have the valve clearances checked so i asked the dealer if while they are doing the repair work on my car that Honda is paying for if they could also check the valve clearances and ill pay them the time to do that. They will have the head off anyway so they said sure no worries.

So what would i reasonably expect to pay for them to check and adjust the valve clearances themselves? Honda is paying for the tear down to fix the pinging and i am just paying for the clearances. I'm just paying them for the time to fix something else while they are "in there"

Would 1 hour be sufficient time to do this work?

Any advice much appreciated.

SPQR
06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Why would they have the head off? None of the supposed fixes for the pinging issue involved that extreme measure.

I would have asked them for a quote first.

Jasemas
07-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Usually running on 98 will solve the pinging
As SPQR stated - removing the head is MAJOR work, even for pinging
Be careful man

haitim01
07-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Why would they have the head off? None of the supposed fixes for the pinging issue involved that extreme measure.

I would have asked them for a quote first.

Well they told me that they have to replace the knock sensor, is that near the head? (Sorry I'm mechanically uneducated)

haitim01
07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Usually running on 98 will solve the pinging

It doesnt , ive tried that for 5 tanks in a row.

SPQR
07-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Surely they wouldn't have to remove the head to remove the knock sensor. You shouldn't have to buy 98 RON petrol as the car is sold as only requiring 95 RON petrol. If it does need 98 RON because of a defect in the engine, then they have misrepresented the car. That is illegal. I wouldn't buy 98 RON petrol: Where I live it costs about $2.00 per litre.

fillit
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
It doesnt , ive tried that for 5 tanks in a row.

Which 98 are you using? Are you using BP? I found that my car pings when I use BP and runs better on Shell, so I try to use V power when I can.

psykotech
07-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Surely they wouldn't have to remove the head to remove the knock sensor. You shouldn't have to buy 98 RON petrol as the car is sold as only requiring 95 RON petrol. If it does need 98 RON because of a defect in the engine, then they have misrepresented the car. That is illegal.

Honda Australia's official position is that pinging is normal under certain operating conditions.

tknova
08-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda Australia's official position is that pinging is normal under certain operating conditions.

If that's the case, I'd be asking Honda to provide me with a list of the 'Certain Operating Conditions' that the pinging will occur.

Total rubbish.....

jay2
08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Sorry guys but Honda really screws up big time with the ping issue on the CU2.

Don't get me wrong, the CU2 is a fantastic car for the money but let down by a problematic engine and powertrain.

AFAIK, there is no fix for the pinging in the CU2.

Anyhow, let us know how you go.

curtis265
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
ouch... that sounds like you're being misled

ChaosMaster
08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure what Ping is exactly, as the youtube videos don't really help. I mean I can hear a clatter clatter at idle, but I assume that is just the sound of the value/rockers going up and down.

VIDSEURO
10-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Ping is a sound similar to having metallic ballbearings in a tin cup, you hear it when the car is accelerating hard.
You shouldnt hear it at idle, my car has had this issue since new a 2009 Lux, dealer has done all the neccassry
required fixes.. I now only use Caltex 98 RON and this has rectified the problem 98 % I no longer worry about it.
If you have to have your head removed to get to the knock sensor you should be asking how much will this cost you..:eek:..
My car has 45,000kms and love driving it pity the Japs didnt round the kilowatts to 150
Anyhow this car works a treat when you give it a good flog every now and then..
The mumbo begins at 4000rpm :honda::cool:

fillit
10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Ping is a sound similar to having metallic ballbearings in a tin cup, you hear it when the car is accelerating hard.
You shouldnt hear it at idle, my car has had this issue since new a 2009 Lux, dealer has done all the neccassry
required fixes.. I now only use Caltex 98 RON and this has rectified the problem 98 % I no longer worry about it.
If you have to have your head removed to get to the knock sensor you should be asking how much will this cost you..:eek:..
My car has 45,000kms and love driving it pity the Japs didnt round the kilowatts to 150
Anyhow this car works a treat when you give it a good flog every now and then..
The mumbo begins at 4000rpm :honda::cool:

Power is indicative anyway, too many variables to consider, I highly doubt you would feel the difference of 2kw on the euro :P

BigBen
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Sorry guys but Honda really screws up big time with the ping issue on the CU2.

Don't get me wrong, the CU2 is a fantastic car for the money but let down by a problematic engine and powertrain.

AFAIK, there is no fix for the pinging in the CU2.

Anyhow, let us know how you go.

My CU2 ping from new and drove me nuts. This is how I solve my pinging issue (see URL below). My feeling is that Honda has been reading my post and has just release a 0w-20 just for the CU2 - coincidence!!

Now I'm really enjoying the CU2. Took the CU2 for a blast up the Putty Road to Singleton and back on Saturday. The CU2 is a capable car once you keep the revs in the happy zone.

Call my mate Johnny on 0423-131-170 as he stock the Amsoil and give great service and pricing.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?99566-NEW-2009-Euro-Luxury-Auto-Pinging/page109

haitim01
13-02-2013, 12:35 PM
UPDATE:
PINGING HAS BEEN FIXED YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have attached a copy of the work report incase it helps anyone else get teh job done for free.

I was extra happy that Honda agreed to do this work even though my car was out of warranrty for over 16 months!

The car seems to drive much smoother now and is a real pleasure!

I paid them to check the valve clearences whil they were in there so that job only cost me $115.50 so i was very happy with that price too. They said that some 'definitley needed adjusting" so im happy i got that done too.

THANKS HONDA

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3756/hondareceipt.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/hondareceipt.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)