PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar Removal

V23
14-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand Accord Euro which came with a tow bar (fitted by Honda I presume) and I would like to remove it. I managed to undo a couple of bolts on the very bottom but there are seemingly more bolts underneath the car, which can't be easily accessible.

Here are a couple of photos of the tow bar:
http://i.imgur.com/zM3s4AP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tLHcHnU.jpg

So, my questions are:

1. How do I gain access to those bolts/remove the tow bar? Do I need to remove the bumper/rear panel in order to do this?

2. Am I able to remove it at home by myself or would it be best to get a professional to do it for me? Roughly how much do you think it would cost to get it professionally removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

-[NoS]-
14-02-2013, 07:04 PM
i went through the same thing....

i removed the rear bumper... took bolts off... then realised i had 4-6 bolts i had to remove which are located above the two exhaust...

i took it to a mechanic.... they hoist it up... remove exhaust.... undid bolts... put the exhaust back...

and yeah... took under an hour... charged me $95 ... charge was for labour...

BigBen
14-02-2013, 11:05 PM
As NOS said, you need to remove the whole bumper and exhaust, plus you need to plug up the gapping big hole in the bumper!!!

Jasemas
14-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Good luck

kera_1
15-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, if i wanted to FIT one instead… can it be done? would I need to rewire?

BigBen
16-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, if i wanted to FIT one instead… can it be done? would I need to rewire?

The bumper has to be completely removed, and yes you need to take the signals from the brake lights to the external connections.

The bumper will still need to be cut. I've fitted a Honda towbar as I need to tow my bikes to the track and back.

kera_1
17-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Hey BigBen, did u retro fit urs? as in not from factory? if so can you pm me or post a pic please I would like to see if I can do that… but i cant see any guide holes in my bumper…

BigBen
17-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I purchase a Hayman Reese towbar which apparently also makes the OEM Honda ones. Removing the bumper is dead easy BUT cutting a 1 week old brand new bumper /car is nerve wreaking as you said there is no guides on the back side of the bumper!! You only get one chance to do it right or fu(k it up completely.

The hole is as big as a close fist.

I'll take a picture of it this arvo for you.