PDA

View Full Version : Integra HU Install... Help?!

dc2r
02-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Can anyone with a DC2 Integra help me out here? When taking out the stock Honda radio, I noticed that there was only one bracket at the back that was holding the radio in. There was no cage that actually carried the OEM head unit. Am I missing something? How did you install your aftermarket head unit and keep it in place? Any help will be good. Thanks!

Cino
02-09-2003, 11:52 AM
you should have gotten a bracket with head unit thats fits straight into the factory hole

vti-2
02-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah, all decent aftermarket HU's come with some sort of casing and brackets.

Cino
02-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah, all decent aftermarket HU's come with some sort of casing and brackets.

Further to that if you didnt get one take it back and they should give you one with it, if not you should be able to get one from any decent car audio place

dc2r
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I did get a bracket with my aftermarket HU, but the thing I'm talking about is, the space where the HU goes into has no side mountings or anything, which means that I can't even use this bracket that came with my HU as I have nowhere to attach it to. The only thing holding the OEM HU is the bracket at the back (it's L-shaped and only has 1 or 2 screws to the back of the HU). Do you guys have DC2's and have you installed aftermarket units in them?

Cino
02-09-2003, 03:22 PM
I dont own a dc2, nor have i installed into one. But the bracket shouldnt move around once you pop it in there, it should be a tight fit therefore it shoudlnt move around, plus once the head unit is in there the weight in the head unit holds it down as well

vti-2
02-09-2003, 04:07 PM
I have a DC2 at the moment, and have an Alpine HU. The HU basically slid into the casing that came with it and that went into the factory hole. We also used the supplied bracket so that the HU could be mounted securely to the rear so that it didn't slide further in (if that makes sense).

We then secured it down the side with 2 screws per side from memory and then bolted it from the rear as well. Mine has a few extra screws in place for security but basically if you have two per side and one from the rear the HU won't go anywhere.

Give us some more info. What HU do you have?

dc2r
02-09-2003, 06:14 PM
I have a Pioneer. From what we saw (my cousin helped me install it), there was nothing to screw the bracket that came with the HU to the side of the pocket. We also had to tape the extra compartment under the OEM HU to my aftermarket one as there was no way screwing it in.

vti-2
02-09-2003, 07:15 PM
:?:

You should have rails (bracket) along the side to bolt the HU into. Isn't that what the factory unit was secured to?

Calvo
02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
on my aftermarket HU, i didnt screw my brackets as there is no where to screw it. but if u look on the side of the bracket, once u slide it in, u bend the metal inserts/cut outs into the side mountings and it should sit nice and tight. shouldnt move at all if u do it properly.

dc2r
02-09-2003, 11:37 PM
on my aftermarket HU, i didnt screw my brackets as there is no where to screw it. but if u look on the side of the bracket, once u slide it in, u bend the metal inserts/cut outs into the side mountings and it should sit nice and tight. shouldnt move at all if u do it properly.

yes, this is what i'm talking about. nothing to screw in the rails of the aftermarket hu. the oem radio was only held by that one bracket at the back. i'll see what i can do with the aftermarket brackets...

Cino
03-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Calvo is right simply bend the metal cut outs so it holds it firmly in

dc2r
03-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey Calvo, do you have an Integra or an Accord? The DC2 has a space for a double din radio. But from factory, there is the plastic pocket that sits under the OEM radio which holds sunnies or whatever. How do I hold this in and also mount my aftermarket HU onto it? I don't think we saw any screws and my cousin was the one who took it out, so I can't remember how it was stuck onto the OEM unit.

XXpl0Sive
03-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I have an Alpine HU as well in my DC2.
When it was first installed at the place (Lifestyles), the thing slid out whenever I was going up hill or accelerating fast.

I took it back to the garage and they removed the HU. I saw it was only held by one bolt because the Alpine didn't fit onto the other 2.

He took the 'sunnies holder' and put the HU in its place. He also got another bracket so that three bolts could be used to secure the HU. Next, he bolted the HU to the coin holder thing as well.

I think it's going to be a bitch to remove when I sell the car :cry:

Conclusion: Alpine and Honda don't like each other.

dc2r
03-09-2003, 12:16 PM
When you say it was only held by one bolt because it didn't fit onto the other two?? What other two? From what I know, there is only one backet at the back with one bolt....

And what do you mean when you sell your car? Don't you want to keep it? What car are you planning on getting? I wouldn't sell my car for anything except a trade for a newer one or maybe an S2000. Or NSX :P

XXpl0Sive
03-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh sorry, I meant, the Alpine should of been held in with 3 bolts instead of just one. (that's what the guy told me) And because it was a Honda, it didn't fit so that's why it's loose.

And what do you mean when you sell your car? I have been bitten by the boost bug :shock: hehehehe

Calvo
03-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Hey Calvo, do you have an Integra or an Accord? The DC2 has a space for a double din radio. But from factory, there is the plastic pocket that sits under the OEM radio which holds sunnies or whatever. How do I hold this in and also mount my aftermarket HU onto it? I don't think we saw any screws and my cousin was the one who took it out, so I can't remember how it was stuck onto the OEM unit.
i have an accord, but it also has the plastic thing. wat i done was mounted my HU into that bit, and placed the plastic thing on top. get some fat two way tape sorta stuff, and only peel one side to stick in onto the plastic thing, then just insert it above the HU, not sticking it on, but just wedging it in place so it stays. u dont really need to secure it becoz nuthin heavy really goes into it.

XXpl0Sive
04-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Is that method good enough to give theives a good workout when they break into your car?

vti-2
04-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Xpl05ive:
Is that method good enough to give theives a good workout when they break into your car?

Not really, if they really want the HU not much will stop them. Best thing to do is bolt the HU in using security screws and bolting it not only from the sides but back as well. If you use custom brackets as well, generally the theives will realise it will take too long to remove it and will leave your car and go to the next...

poid
04-09-2003, 02:33 PM
After smashing the dash to pieces of course :x

From memory (and its been a few months since i last took my HU out) the pocket underneath screwed into the HU bracket thing. There was only the one bolt to hold the HU in at the back, and it was a bit fiddly getting the HU and pocket aligned but it went in OK and is quite solid.

This is in an Accord not a Teggy but should be similar. Nothing moves at all but to do it i did have to take out pretty much the entire centre console including the metal bracket bit.

Calvo
04-09-2003, 05:11 PM
yeh its quite tedious rippin out ur front console to do all this. its pretty hard to steal it wen u do it, but if a thief really wants it, he'll get it no matter wat if he's that determined. i duno wat he's gonna do wen he has no face to use the HU, unless he goes and finds a replacement face, but yeh. i'd rather him just take my HU, rather than his fck up my whole interior and break everything else and prob still take the HU.

XXpl0Sive
04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
If it's in tight, hopefully it will delay him enough time for you to come back and tap him on the shoulder ...hehehe

Calvo
04-09-2003, 08:38 PM
hehe a tap on the shoulder, followed by some "taps" to the head :D

MaGR
09-12-2003, 10:21 AM
I did get a bracket with my aftermarket HU, but the thing I'm talking about is, the space where the HU goes into has no side mountings or anything, which means that I can't even use this bracket that came with my HU as I have nowhere to attach it to.

I feel for you brotha :D
I had this problem about a year ago......

What I ended up doing was making my own bracket to hold the bracket you get with the unit in place... I have the console out of my car at the moment so I might be able to get a pic for you so you can get an idea..

From what I can remember the stock unit had some weird way of securing itself in, it had arms that connected it to the side of the below "sunglasses holder" So when you put in the bracket you get with the unit, it can't grab onto it the same way because it dosen't have the same arm things...

eerr yeah, I'm not too helpful at the moment, but I'll try and get that pic for you :D

BlakTegra
09-12-2003, 03:42 PM
dc2r:
How is ur install going?
I'm getting my Alpine to be put into my DC2 too very soon. Yay!
I'm waiting for it so in the mean time, I've removed the factory HU and from looking inside, I can tell its gonna be quiet difficult getting it in and secured.
It dosen't look like a simple process like other cars I've done in the past.

MaGR:
Posting up pics would be really helpful for those in the same situation. Hope to see them soon! :)

MaGR
09-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Here is the picture of the bracket... sorry for it's crapness, but as you probably know, there isn't much room down there...

You can see where the bracket is connected to atleast. I am pretty sure that it is the only spot connected directly to the car (had to drill the hole).
Where you see the Blue T, is where it (the bracket) goes above the "sunglasses holder" thing. At the two ends of the T, it is welded (can't remember what kind, I didn't do it) to the bottom side of the HU cage (had to do that because it I used screws or rivets ect, I wouldn;t be able to slide the unit into the cage).
The is all that is keepting it in place, I think I also bent out some of the "tabs" in the cage to secure it better..

It is very secure and is very sturdy... probably too study infact because it gets all the road bumps, but I haven't had a single skip so thats allright..

I think thats all...
Probably better ways to do it, but thats the best I could think of......
http://home.iprimus.com.au/markrayner/share/hu-bracket.jpg

dc2r
09-12-2003, 10:18 PM
that's interesting... right now my head unit is still how it was when first installed. still moves around and is held by a cable tie! when i get free time i will take it out and see if i can make a bracket. thanks for the ideas.

Phorte
10-12-2003, 05:35 AM
im in the same bolt.
did my install my self a few months ago with an Alpine HU..

there was no bracket inside which would hold my HU in so that i could screw it in on either side.. atm its just held in by sheer luck and the plastic holder underneath kinda holds it in to a certain extent.. the bracket which comes with the HU, i pushed the lil metal tabs out on all sides too but that just stops it from falling forwards (to a certain extent) but it doesnt stop it from falling INWARDS.. usually there's a small metal bracket at the very rear of it all but my doesnt even have that as the previous owner had taken that out as he had a tv in there and needed all the room in the back as he could have so he could fit all the cables in...... im thinking of just fabricating my own bracket inside so that it can hold the HU in..

i wouldnt want to really put my HU on the bottom DIN and bolt it into the coin tray.. prefer to keep it on top with the plastic holder on the bottom DIN..........

BlakTegra
11-12-2003, 10:25 AM
I swear this sounds bad for us Integra people :(

Just hope no thieves know about this! Why cant Integras be simple like other cars....shesssh

I'm thinking of an easier way to do this....lemme see....

Phorte
11-12-2003, 10:56 AM
http://home.iprimus.com.au/markrayner/share/hu-bracket.jpg

im still trying to work out that pic and which direction you took the photo from lol :D

BlakTegra
11-12-2003, 11:25 AM
LOL
same here!!!!!

MaGR, where are ya mate?!!?
We too dumb to see where you're coming from!

Can someone help me install it?

MaGR
11-12-2003, 01:39 PM
It's taken from directly underneath the unit... (I know it's not easy to tell, but thats the only angle I can take a pic from..)

I'll try and draw a diagram of what the bracket looks like when I get home from work.. It's not really much of a bracket, just a flat T shape piece of metal with a hole in it at the end and welded at the other end.

It's mainly to stop it sliding forward and back (and to keep is straight), it is a pretty tight fit apart from that as it is...

BlakTegra
11-12-2003, 09:40 PM
I see it! I see it!
Now I'm ready to do the electrical work.
Where did u connect your power lead? Directly to ur battery or to the harness?

MaGR
12-12-2003, 09:42 AM
I see it! I see it!
Where did u connect your power lead? Directly to ur battery or to the harness?

Yeah directly from the battery, then to a fuse...
I've got a pic allready of where the cable goes and where the fuse is, the holes were allready there, made it real easy.... I'll post it tonight..

What kind of setup are you going to have??

Javed
06-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, I know this is sorta bringing back a dead thread but I seem to be in the same boat now. There was an aftermarket head unit already installed but it was dodgey as the bracket was just supported by the tabs and the pocket (which doesnt even securely attach to anywhere) to an extent. I got a back strap with my head unit and am trying to figure out what it does or how to utilise it. The factory bracket at the back might inspire me to create something but how the hell do you bolt your head unit from the back if you cant get behind there. Is it required for me to remove my centre console? Anybody got steps how to do this? Any help is much appreciated, Cheers guys!!! :D

XXpl0Sive
06-01-2004, 04:06 PM
I think to do it properly, you have to remove the centre console. There are screws to undo and then lift! And don't forget to remove your gear knob..

Yspool
06-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah once agian ill say its a pain in the arse when it comes to install HU's in integra's! But after bout 2 hours and a lot of swearing i got mine in! 8)

Anyone thats going to install a HU in there teg should read the other thread like this with a link to another website which has step by step instructions on how to do it!

Thanks for all the helps guys it makes it alot easy for us and the future teg onwers! :)

deceivin
24-05-2004, 11:19 PM
happy to see other teg owners out there with the same problem i experienced today, fought i was the only one!!

i have no idea how im guna bolt the back of the headunit like the standard one. and my plastic pouch thing is loose, it was sitting ontop of some rubberish thing, but mine was all worn and wasnt sticky anymore so i threw it out.

i hope the h/u doesnt fall forward, or even backwards ?

Redteg
25-05-2004, 09:30 AM
What I did in my G2 was remove the center console trim, and then drill 2 holes into the metal support, directly in line with the holes on either side of the empty tray under the stereo. I then used 2 screws to hold that in securely. It annoyed me that it used to wobble and was not perfectly aligned.

I installed the stereo's cage, and then drilled 2 more holes so as to attatch two little bits of strapping from the console support to the sides of the deck.

That keeps the deck still, and it has been like this for quite some time. There's a few more details in regards to theft protection but u know...

deceivin
25-05-2004, 09:20 PM
my deck seems pretty secured from just bending the lil metals pieces of the cage in, so it holds on.

my lil pocket sits in the whole, but as RedTeg has mentioned it doesnt sit in properly. i dont think its guna fall out or anything, its just not aligned and wobbles abit.
might do what you did RedTeg, if i have some free time.

dudeling7
30-03-2006, 07:18 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread! but im having this problem.....

I pulled the center console out and took the stock head unit out and everything. Now i just have to wire up and install. The wiring will be easy, but as others have said i dont see anywhere i can actually mount the head unit. The bracket that comes with it doesnt actually bolt onto the console frame of the teg. I dont know how to secure it. Anyone have any ideas?

rookie_gsi_act
29-04-2009, 06:12 PM
hey, bringin back 4 yr old thread... but im trying to remove my after market (pioneer) head deck and put in a new pioneer dvd screen deck.... i took off the console and what not following this link : http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=128

but, i just cant seem to be able to take out the head deck? cant find bolts or anything? thanks, quick help would be appreciated since my consoles out :(