PDA

View Full Version : That civic bluetooth accesory!

stevo1210
04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been browsing through the forum about the Honda bluetooth accessory that you can get with your car at the dealer. It mounts to the A-pillar and has three buttons if I remember correctly. So gathering what I could see on other threads here on ozhonda, everyone says to get a parrot bluetooth device because it's cheaper. I do realise that the parrot is probably cheaper... but has any had a good experience with the factory bluetooth add-on? If so, would you recommend this accessory as an add-on (disregarding the price)?
Why am I asking? I went to the dealer and the parts advisor told me it was $699 installed (on my 2010 Civic FD1 VTI) and I'd be better off with an aftermarket unit because that can stream music where as this can't? (awkward moment when a Honda person tells you to go elsewhere).

So what do you guys think about $699 on the bluetooth? yay or nay. If it's decent and really good then I'll be happy to put $699 down for it.

$699 on the other hand can probably get me fog lights from the dealer... or a new iPhone 5.

Thanks.

chow_tofu
04-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Ive got one in my Jazz but not sure if its the same as civic. The bluetooth unit itself isnt bad, but definately isnt worth $699.

Has a cool feature(not sure if its my phone or the bluetooth itself) where you press the button and itll ask for a name to call. People can actually hear what Im saying and I can hear what their saying. (I have to yell when I use the Sony Bluetooth headunit in my other car)

Its not bad I guess, but I wouldnt pay $699 for it. Just get a aftermarket DIN unit.

stevo1210
04-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Ive got one in my Jazz but not sure if its the same as civic. The bluetooth unit itself isnt bad, but definately isnt worth $699.

Has a cool feature(not sure if its my phone or the bluetooth itself) where you press the button and itll ask for a name to call. People can actually hear what Im saying and I can hear what their saying. (I have to yell when I use the Sony Bluetooth headunit in my other car)

Its not bad I guess, but I wouldnt pay $699 for it. Just get a aftermarket DIN unit.

I have a bluetrip AUX from Griffin atm. I bought it mainly to stream A2DP music... but just like your Sony one... I have to yell for people to hear me! Pressing the answer button activates Siri instead which is annoying. Answering a call still makes me select "bluetrip" every time on the iPhone menu which is annoying.

Got another quote this morning from another dealer and we're looking at around $600 to $650. I like the voice control feature though... heard a few people tell about that too!

I'll probably save up $1500... get the fog lights, bluetooth and accent lighting all in one go. :)

chow_tofu
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah I found it annoying when I have to yell when making a call in the other car. But tbh if you ever do plan on changing your headunit in the future, you will never get back anywhere near $500.

At the same time, ive seen that bluetooth module on ebay for $100. Afaik its pretty much plug and play into your headunit and mount it on your A pillar.

I wanted the LED door sills as well but it was $300-400. The cheaper solution I found was to order 30cm LED strips on ebay and wire them into your door lights. Put it under the footwell and thats done for less than $50. Theres a nice DIY aswell

lolmclol
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I have it but I haven't used it but seriously if you're considering blowing $700 on it ... you would be better off looking at upgrading the head unit to something which will have more features.

stevo1210
05-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I have it but I haven't used it but seriously if you're considering blowing $700 on it ... you would be better off looking at upgrading the head unit to something which will have more features.

$580 as of today... through a different dealer. I did consider replacing the head unit... but I quite like the simple design of the stock HU. Plus, not sure if my $650 factory bass works amp in the boot which I installed last week can take the power of a new head unit or not. :-/

lolmclol
06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
$580 as of today... through a different dealer. I did consider replacing the head unit... but I quite like the simple design of the stock HU. Plus, not sure if my $650 factory bass works amp in the boot which I installed last week can take the power of a new head unit or not. :-/

If you can find the technical details of the bassworks kit I really can't see why it one couldn't be lined up to a new compatible head unit and two, with it being speakers and a sub and amp, it should technically have no issues, unless the factory head unit is upgraded with bassworks equalizers?

I can't really give any answers, as its not really an area I have a lot of information to offer about :-b.

All I can say is, is that $600~ for the OEM Bluetooth kit is a little steep.