PDA

View Full Version : lowering my car

clubby88
04-03-2013, 02:32 PM
hello all
my car seems to be low in the rear end and very unstable when i drive it so i was wanting to put new suspension in it and while i was at it i was wanting to lower my car i was wondering if D2 racing coilovers are good ? and is that what i need for my car coilovers ? to lower it ? im very unsure with the suspension sides of things so i dont know anything

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36-WAY-ADJUSTABLE-D2-RACING-RS-COILOVERS-SUSPENSION-SET-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EK-/230865099384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda|Model%3ACivic&hash=item35c0a1da78

are these any good and what else will i need to lower the car i would really appreciate some help thanks guys :honda::honda::)

stndrd
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I have used D2 previously and have not been very happy with them on melbourne roads (im not sure where you are located).

I found that the damper adjustment went from hard to spine breaking.

If you are looking for something sourced locally with a 12 month warranty, check out the H.Drive Racing coilovers I have available. Prices start at $1050 delivered to your door

clubby88
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Hey mate they look like a good product I'm located in sydney is that all I need to lower my car or are there other parts I need to finish the job ?

stndrd
04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
The coilovers are the main thing that will dictate your height. You may need to consider camber arms and guard rolling depending on what rim specs you have

clubby88
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
i dont wanna go overly low were ill need gaurd rolling i just want the wheels to be a inch of the guard or so have you got a website where i can view all your products

stndrd
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
check out my facebook page (link is in my signature)

integraR
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
pm senna

d2 coilovers are horrible sure you get height but ride quality is bad

DreadAngel
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
hello all
my car seems to be low in the rear end and very unstable when i drive it so i was wanting to put new suspension in it and while i was at it i was wanting to lower my car i was wondering if D2 racing coilovers are good ? and is that what i need for my car coilovers ? to lower it ? im very unsure with the suspension sides of things so i dont know anything

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36-WAY-ADJUSTABLE-D2-RACING-RS-COILOVERS-SUSPENSION-SET-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EK-/230865099384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda|Model%3ACivic&hash=item35c0a1da78

are these any good and what else will i need to lower the car i would really appreciate some help thanks guys :honda::honda::)

For the love of god and your own life man don't...

D2 are in general run too stiff springs and the damper valving are completely undervalved [If you think JDM coilovers are undervalved, you haven't seen anything yet]. To the point its dangerous, you either bounce and have no control OR you go the opposite end [3X Step Adjustment lolz] and have a N1 Racer where you spine like stndrd said breaks, pelvis crushed, neck strained just by going over a pebble...

Check out stndrd's product or alternatively check out other brands too =)

clubby88
04-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Yeh well that's why I'm asking what coilovers are good for a reasonable price like I said I don't want to go scraping all over the place I just wanna drop my ride height a bit so the coilovers (h drive racing ones) are adjustable obviously at what heights ? I don't want the highest setting to be really low ? :) like I said I really am not familier with coilovers etc

DreadAngel
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
All good hahaha =)

From stndrd's FB page:

S Spec - $1050

H.Drive have designed the structure of the new S Spec Damper with durability and strength in mind, along with spring pre load and height adjustment as well as the stylish finished anodized red and matte black colouring. Spring rates have been pre-set by the H.Drive engineers and cannot be changed. H.Drive have used the material STKM13C and SAE9245 for strength and increased durability.

- Single Cylinder Type
- 32 stage adjustment method
- Practical use for street circuit and wide range of events
- Designed with large diameter piston at 44mm (some vehicles)
- Forged aluminum upper mount
- Forged aluminum sheet for reduced weight and increased durability and strength
- Rigid bracket coated with special pain to achieve durability
- Aluminium bracket coated in black anodized paint to improve corrosion resistance
- Included height adjustment wrench

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/421191_181444911965320_1475539836_n.jpg

Using H.Drive as the example, if you check out the photo, below the red springs you can see a ring with cut out edges? This usually means that you can use a C-Spanner/Height Adjustment Wrench to loosen then adjust the height along the threaded body of the shocks so the height is whatever you desire within the threaded body's allowance =)

EDIT:

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/66nexus/TEIN1.jpg

You can see it clearer on this Tein photo =)

tripleuse
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
i actually find the d2 to have a smoother ride then other coilovers i have used.

clubby88
04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
And what would be the price comparison between the $1050 coilovers and OEM replacement set ? Roughly ?

DreadAngel
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
i actually find the d2 to have a smoother ride then other coilovers i have used.

Kinda strange, what other coilovers you used? Cause my D2R coilovers can't even come close to my Koni + KG/mm Springs, JIC Coilovers, TRD Coilovers, etc... Same roads and everything too...

And what would be the price comparison between the $1050 coilovers and OEM replacement set ? Roughly ?

Cheap OEM replacement maybe ~$500+ for shocks and ~$200+ for springs? Unsure, rarely remember the new OEM prices lol

EKVTIR-T
04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
tripleuse is selling his d2 thats why

PHO
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar2484_208.gif

integraR
04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?168608-D2-coilovers-bc-coilovers-ek4-brakes-cheap-dc2-parts.ts2k-exhaust-K20-LSD-k20-parts

someone selling for 500$

tripleuse
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM

useless.

Kinda strange, what other coilovers you used? Cause my D2R coilovers can't even come close to my Koni + KG/mm Springs, JIC Coilovers, TRD Coilovers, etc... Same roads and everything too...

i can only compare them with other cheap coilovers that i have, such as the BCs and buddy clubs. I have also read a few reviews with the same problem, but i dont find the ride as bad as what people are saying.

senna
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
I find that response is due to someone not having the chance to compare properly engineered and developed suspension with budget "one size fits all" coilovers...

Try something like Koni yellow shocks matched with Ground Control coils and sleeves.

You will get the height you want and still have plenty of compliance for our average roads.

Think of it this way, would you rather say "this drives really well" or "this isn't as bad as I thought"?

clubby88
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I was wondering if skunk2 coilovers where a good brand ?

DreadAngel
05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
They felt 'ok' in my friend's car I guess...

mattsrea
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
skunk2 is a bad brand according to most people here but if you dont drive like a maniac and you dont mind the stiffness then go for it, a mate of mine been rolling on skunk2 coilovers for 2 years and still going strong. But yeah it is stiff compared to other coilovers but hey its all about personal preference.

clubby88
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Look at this on eBay:

Skunk2 Pro S Full Coilover Coilovers 92-00 Honda Civic/Si/Del Sol V2

http://bit.ly/165p8bu

Was wondering if these were good coilovers ?

clubby88
05-03-2013, 09:10 PM
What if I got koni struts and skunk2 springs ?

mattsrea
05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Thats ok setup (seen some people from ej8squad run them) but why get skunk2 springs when you can get ground control coilover sleeves for abit more? Gives you ride height adjustment and the springs can be custom too

DreadAngel
05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
^

Do this if you're thinking about the Koni Struts & Springs, well walked path with very high satisfaction from most as long as you're sensible ;)

hoaanguyen
05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
im running koni with ground control sleeves in my ek, theyre awesome

mattsrea
05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah heaps of people from US run them and they are heaps good! I made a mistake and bought the wrong set of konis back in those days -sighh- i'm going to get the conversion kit and koni yellows sometime this year =D

clubby88
05-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Look at this on eBay:

KONI YELLOW SPORT SHOCK STRUT KIT HONDA CIVIC EK 96-00

http://bit.ly/165reZ2

Look at this on eBay:

4530.02 Ground Control Coilover Springs 92-00 Civic (Koni)

http://bit.ly/165rmrC

So a combo like that is good ??

mattsrea
05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a perfect combo mate :)

clubby88
05-03-2013, 09:34 PM
No worris so I basically just see if they are compatible with my car and if the springs are compatible with the struts and ill have my self a smooth side hopefully

They are pretty adjustable right ? Like I said I'm no familier with coilovers so if I need to with that setup I can get it close to factory height or let's his say a decent height if I ever need to ?

mattsrea
05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Yep you will have a smooth ride man no worries about that, and with that combo they are height adjustable and damper adjustable so you can raise it up/down and/or set the damper to soft/stiff. So you can have it abit lowered and get a close to oem ride or stiffen it up a little up to you

DreadAngel
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Some help here what we mean by coilovers [Coilovers in the sense its a matched shock & spring set that's height adjustable (via a perch + threaded body) and can also be damper-adjustable, camber-adjustable,etc]

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/senna_T/0017-2-12-AMYELLOWSPEEDFlyer.jpg
NB: Shamelessly taken from Senna cause I couldn't find the old Tein pic I wanted... Thx Senna =P

Height [#6 on the picture] is usually adjusted via the perch the spring sits on [or against if its an inverted design] and the threaded section on the shock's body.

Damper is usually adjusted via a knob located on either top of the hat [like on #1 of the picture], bottom of the shock body or on the lower portion of the shock body depending how they designed.

clubby88
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the picture DreadAngel

So by me buying koni struts and buying ground control sleeves together they obviously make a coilover correct ? And installing coilovers is it something I can do at home ( I do have knowledge with removing stock and re installing stock suspension) and will I need to replace any other parts or components when I install the coilovers

DreadAngel
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Nope, you're all good man =D

But as soon as you alter suspension components or wheels/tires... Wheel alignment ;)