PDA

View Full Version : trading my 180sx for an integra advise pls

mattpj
31-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Hi All,
Im a newbie to Hondas . My current ride is a 92 180SX which I have had for 5 years.
Im looking at getting something that is cheaper to run and insure so I was thinking about an integra.
I dont know alot about these cars but Im guessing the gsi is just you run of the mill 1.8 and the vti-r is the vtec version.
What difference is the type R ?
Also from reading the other forums I have seen that some vtec motors are only SOHC is the integra DOCH vtec ?
Im looking at getting between a 95- 98 , dont want to spend any more than 20Gs .
Or is it better to get a VTI civic
What is the reliability like with these engines , as I will most likely get something that has anywhere from 40-80K on the clock , is there anything special to look out for ?
Its going to be hard getting used to a non turbo front wheel drive car but as I said before , the 180 does cost alot to run and insure

Sorry for the long post

Cheers

Matt

tofu R
31-12-2003, 08:51 AM
hey there matt ...

first of all civic or integra? the VTi that you mentioned only comes in sedan form .. and has a SOHC engine with no more power than the GLi engine but a few more nm of torque. I think if u want performance .. u should steer clear of the SOHC variants in the honda range .. as the true performance of honda is from a DOHC vtec engine.

Having said that . a few engines have that the B16A and the B18C ..
The b16a comes in a few honda vehicles .. crx,the first integras, and civic .. but in the case for this engine u should be looking for a B16A2.. which is the latest and greatest in the evolution of this engine .. which comes in the later civic VTiR hatchbacks and coupes.. im not too sure about pricing .. but i think that the coupe will be selling for a little more than 20Gs .. which is not worth IMO
hatch looks sexier =p

i think ... stepping over from a 92 model 180sx.. 1.8L - 2L turbo ( not sure if u got the ca18 or a sr20) ... the most power that u can get for your money .. is in the form of a B18C ( barr the k20a dc5 type R, k24a, c30b blah blah blah ) which is definitely out of your price range..

the difference between an itr and a vtir ?
apart from the styling differences
- front + rear lip
- different front bar
- higher spoiler
- shaved door protectors
- the addition of type R decals

the engine differences between an itr and a vtir ..

the b18c7 (type R) red valve cover variant of the b18c ..
- factory balanced and blueprinted engine from honda.. raised rev limit of 200rpm .. from 8200 - 8400
- hand polished intake
- twin coil valve springs for higher lift
- lightweight intake valves.
- whole lot of engine strengthening ( ie high strength conrods)
- higher comp ratio than vtir .
- a factory cai setup ..
- higher flow exhaust..

more on the topic ..
u can sort of note that the itr was made to be more efficient at high revs.. not just make more power .. it was designed to be tracked .. and hence u can see that a lot of vtirs can keep up with type Rs on the straights ..
but on the track.. the ITR's handling + overall packages is hard to beat..

- its got bars all over the place.. making the car much more rigid ..
- bigger brakes - 5 stud conversion ..
- Aluminum oil cooler
- LSD

there are also some "luxuries" that each car has that the other car does not have..
vtir - cd player ..
- sunroof
- sound deadening + or - depending on your view..

type R - recaros
- light weight enkeis
- the sound of a b18c7 revving to 8.4k
- carbon fibre door inserts and interior trimming.

so depending on what u want .. if u want to drag / the occasional run on the corners..get the vtir .. cheaper option..

or u like to hang in the corners a lot more .. get the type R .. its very cheap for what u r getting.. even fitting an aftermarket lsd to the vtir .. will probably cost as much as an ITR

hope this helps .. =P

eric

A'PEXi
31-12-2003, 10:43 AM
as tofu said... the civic vti also came out in coupe form if you were interested... but the single overhead cam engine with vtec produces factory claimed bout 96kw at the fly??...

i think the vti-r teg would be your best buy, considering its b18c engine and the price range will be bout 15-20k... the type r variant is obviously better but will be closer to the 30k region for the dc2 version.... if your going to spend money in modding the vti-r, i'd say save up a bit more and get a dc2r, will be worth it in the long run :D

mattpj
31-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys, its a great help.
Yes My 180sx is an SR20det with T28 Large front mount IC , It is running 14PSI
I think I would be pretty happy with a teg vtir as I dont really plan on too many mods .

Cheers,

Matt

mo
31-12-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm pretty sure tofu R has summed it up nicely (hahah didn't read it) but with $20k will get you a nice teg vti-r easily!
95 vti-r are like 15-16k private sale, so you could easily get a more recent model

mattpj
31-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah it all depends on what I can get for my 180sx.
Im hoping for $14K private sale , would be less for a trade-in

The trouble is trying to find a decent teg, with low Ks

guard-rail
31-12-2003, 01:13 PM
another one bites the dust...sad to see another person giving up the glories of an s13 for a teg...you're gonna hate the lack of power at first, but takes a little while to get used to it i guess...i havent been able to step down off the turbo to an NA...hope you'll like it though...wanna swap you t28 with me:) since you aint gonna get anymore for it if you have it or not :)

guard-rail
31-12-2003, 01:14 PM
anything else master eric?

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 02:32 PM
integras aren't too good where insurance is concerned.
as charming as the b18c is, it doesn't provide anywhere near the grunt of the sr20det ;)

just something to keep in mind.

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 02:38 PM
tofu r : hehe i can beat stockers s13s =P
no problems ..

bends are where the honda was born to be ..

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 02:56 PM
s13's can be equaly at home in bends... plus the steering feels so much nicer

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 03:26 PM

that comes down to the driver.. as to how cofident they are etcetc..

but im on Eric's side on this one... Type R's were built for a reason... sweet sweet handling.. ;)

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 03:35 PM

but im on Eric's side on this one... Type R's were built for a reason... sweet sweet handling.. ;)

ah yes, but then, it always comes down to the driver.
as much as i love the integras, there is much quicker machinery around, for less money i might add. still, at least the integras sit at the top of the fwd food chain in terms of overall performance...

mattpj
31-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I didnt want to get into a debate about S13 Vs tegs.
The s13 was born for corners too, just different , power oversteer and drift.
the s13 is one of the easiest cars to drift , something that is harder to do in a front wheel drive car but still possible.
Im not looking for a car that will beat a turbo s13 or I wouldnt be choosing a teg
Face it both the sr20det and the ca18det are both turbo , I find it very hard to beleive that an na teg could beat a s13 turb it would require some hell modifications thay might have a chance with a na s13

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 04:06 PM

ah yes, but then, it always comes down to the driver.
as much as i love the integras, there is much quicker machinery around, for less money i might add. still, at least the integras sit at the top of the fwd food chain in terms of overall performance...

quicker? straight line for sure.. plenty of cars are faster ITR in straight line, but thats because ITR's purpose is not to be quick off the line, but to be quick after a line.. :arrow:

now, lets leave mods out of this.. place a stock DC2R VS stock S13 (Q's just to be fair.. NA VS NA) on track, there is just no competition..

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 04:11 PM
may i add, out of factory, ITR's are pretty much set for twisties from day 1.. so IMO, if u want handling and a decent powered car, u cant go wrong with an ITR.. if u dont like handling and only wanna drag, u might as well look elsewhere.. possibly a V8 or something.. power is nothing if u cant get it to the ground.. it only looks good on paper.. http://members.iinet.net.au/~jonlau/emoticons/thumbsup.gif

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 04:25 PM
quicker? straight line for sure.. plenty of cars are faster ITR in straight line, but thats because ITR's purpose is not to be quick off the line, but to be quick after a line.. :arrow:

now, lets leave mods out of this.. place a stock DC2R VS stock S13 (Q's just to be fair.. NA VS NA) on track, there is just no competition..

man, the way people talk about itr's, it's like they think it is some magic vehicle, capable of defying the laws of physics. :P
what makes the type-r so popular people such as you and i, is that it is very easy to drive quickly *for an amateur/beginner*.

sure, if you leave the cars bone stock, the ITR might be a little quicker- depending on the track. to be fair though, you are comparing a $14k to a $28k car. i could equally argue that putting a few -of the saved- dollars into the s13 would yield a much more capable track vehicle. i don't know why you would you would bring up a q's in this discussion as it was not intended to be a competitor to the itr... or should i say, the ITR was never meant to be a competitor to the q's.

the type-r is one of those cars that are very effective stock, yes you can improve on them, but it's already quite close to the maximum potential (for the street) of the civic/integra platform. a stock silvia k's or 180sx is nowhere near what the platform can be when taken straight from the factory. yet it is still quite close to the type-r.

back to the topic though, have you done much insurance shopping for the vti-r? provided you are over 25 it's obviously not quite as bad... but still crap :)
fun car to punt around when you fix it up a little... stock suspension is crap, as is the header/exhaust system.

there are a whole little bunch of niggles that seem to reveal themselves as you approach 100k km-
ratiator top tank, ignitor module, ignition coil, cv joints (depending on the level of abuse), clutch is likely to be on it's way out. trying to resolve my airconditioning problem now. fk'ing compressor won't kick in. got the usual old car rattles and squeaks too.

from what i've read, these problems, excluding the aircon, seem to be fairly common. so be preparied hey ;) don't forget that it isn't a new car.

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 04:58 PM
to be fair though, you are comparing a $14k to a $28k car. i could equally argue that putting a few -of the saved- dollars into the s13 would yield a much more capable track vehicle.

maybe so, only reason why ITR costs more is because its newer? i doubt u could pick up a good condition late model [97/98] 180SX for under $20000.

the type-r is one of those cars that are very effective stock, yes you can improve on them, but it's already quite close to the maximum potential (for the street) of the civic/integra platform. a stock silvia k's or 180sx is nowhere near what the platform can be when taken straight from the factory. yet it is still quite close to the type-r.

maximum? for DC2R i agree, but not for DC5R.. DC5R responds unbelievably well to basic mods and easy power gains.. for a NA car anyways.. (not bringing in DC5R's for discussion, but just making sure that generalising wont put a wrong perspective on different cars..)

as mattpj said, he only wants to spend $20000 +-... so mods wont be taken into account..

back to the topic though, have you done much insurance shopping for the vti-r? provided you are over 25 it's obviously not quite as bad... but still crap :)

crap in what sense? my DC5R costs $12xx full comprehensive.. over 25..
i find that price to be quite decent..

there are a whole little bunch of niggles that seem to reveal themselves as you approach 100k km-
ratiator top tank, ignitor module, ignition coil, cv joints (depending on the level of abuse), clutch is likely to be on it's way out. trying to resolve my airconditioning problem now. fk'ing compressor won't kick in. got the usual old car rattles and squeaks too.

agreed on that.. buying a second hand car doesnt usually come 'cheap' as people tend to think.. little things just add up and ends up costing an arm and a leg.. but i suppose thats the risks u gotta take when buying second hand..

BTW no war intended slim... =p

tofu R
31-12-2003, 05:01 PM
haha its not that they defy the laws of physics
just seems to make more sense to buy an ITR over a vtir if u r going to modify .. that is if u can afford it ..because of the standard stuff u get with the car ..

i respect vtir drivers.. how much have U spent on your vtir mr grey teg? :)

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 05:18 PM
to be fair though, you are comparing a $14k to a $28k car. i could equally argue that putting a few -of the saved- dollars into the s13 would yield a much more capable track vehicle.

maybe so, only reason why ITR costs more is because its newer? i doubt u could pick up a good condition late model [97/98] 180SX for under $20000.

maximum? for DC2R i agree, but not for DC5R.. DC5R responds unbelievably well to basic mods and easy power gains.. for a NA car anyways.. (not bringing in DC5R's for discussion, but just making sure that generalising wont put a wrong perspective on different cars..)

as mattpj said, he only wants to spend $20000 +-... so mods wont be taken into account..

crap in what sense? my DC5R costs $12xx full comprehensive.. over 25..
i find that price to be quite decent..

agreed on that.. buying a second hand car doesnt usually come 'cheap' as people tend to think.. little things just add up and ends up costing an arm and a leg.. but i suppose thats the risks u gotta take when buying second hand..

BTW no war intended slim... =p

no no, it's good, debate and discussion, with no name calling!
fwiw, i'm just trying to be a devil's advocate, i drive a vti-r, i wish it was a type-r, hence i'm in the process of turning it into my rendition of a type-r :P

anyway, i assumed we were talking about the dc2r... dc5r is another kettle of fish, but then, so is an s15 :D

by "crap", i mean $1800 for a 48 y/o male with no claims and 60% NCB. thats GIO. nrma was around $2500. pretty bad when the market value is around 13k-18k. (under my name nrma wanted $6500, GIO wouldn't touch it- no record either)
to be honest, i'm scared of using the smaller insurers, just in case they decide to deny a theft claim or something. so there you have it.

you know me as slim?!? do i know you?

eric- buying a type-r does make sense over a vti-r (provided you can afford it- i couldn't at the time). it's way newer for a start, and it does have quite a bit more in the way of cool stuff- seats, transmission, lsd. that said, you can bring the vti-r to just slightly past itr pace for relatively reasonable money. it'll never be as new, as cool (to most people), or have the same street cred, but handling and power are all there :)
i haven't spent much in terms of what i have on the car... i have spent a bit when you consider the amount of chopping and changing i did to try and find the right compromise for my tastes.
it'd be safe to say i've spent approximately 3k on performance mods. about 5-6k if you include the grief of changing mutliple mufflers, exhaust systems and suspension bits to find the right mix for myself.
bearing in mind, at the time, i was the only person i knew of with a vti-r, and i was stupid and let workshops do jobs that i should have been taking care of myself. oh, and i didn't know about hanny's:)

JAP88R
31-12-2003, 05:22 PM
its Jonnie... TRD22L... =p

ginganggooly
31-12-2003, 05:28 PM
woops! :D

mattpj
31-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Sh*t I pay around $1200 full comp for my 180sx.
I thought the teg would be cheaper
BTW Im over 30

tofu R
01-01-2004, 11:07 AM
haha
umm stick with the 180sx ?
or just do some quotes on insurance first?

guard-rail
02-01-2004, 02:58 PM
johnnie mate...going from camry to Type R and suddenly a new found passion for honda's hammer head...you cant really compare a DC2R agains an NA s13....the type R is the best of the bunch, so you should compare it to the top of the chain S13...try a 98 type X with less than 30000km against a 98 DC2R similar specs and both completly stock...S13 would be in front in a straight line, and as for corners, dont think there'll be much of a difference at all dude, driving style is very different, and car reaction to driver input is very different...take the best drivers to pillot these 2 cars around a track, i think you'll find the S13 out front in every aspect...

where did you beat S13s in your R :) was it turbo bro?

tofu R
03-01-2004, 02:18 AM
haha are u questioning me bro
it was a ks s13 silvia ..
hehe ..
ill run u one day mate =P

civicboy
03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Yeah let us watch u guys dragg! =p
we'll c whos gonna win hehehehe

ginganggooly
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
i've run and beat k's too, but i think the cars must have been in terrible condition, or the drivers weren't really trying...

olda
05-01-2004, 01:48 PM
as tofu said... the civic vti also came out in coupe form if you were interested... but the single overhead cam engine with vtec produces factory claimed bout 96kw at the fly??...

i think the vti-r teg would be your best buy, considering its b18c engine and the price range will be bout 15-20k... the type r variant is obviously better but will be closer to the 30k region for the dc2 version.... if your going to spend money in modding the vti-r, i'd say save up a bit more and get a dc2r, will be worth it in the long run :D

DANGER!!!!!!!
BTW if u get the VTiR TEG now, in a few month, u will feel sorry for not waiting a little longer or borrowing some xtra dough for a TYPE R.
Every time u see a TYPE R on the road u will regret buying too soon.
I know, been there, done that! :x :x :x

JAP88R
05-01-2004, 03:34 PM
johnnie mate...going from camry to Type R and suddenly a new found passion for honda's hammer head...you cant really compare a DC2R agains an NA s13....the type R is the best of the bunch, so you should compare it to the top of the chain S13...try a 98 type X with less than 30000km against a 98 DC2R similar specs and both completly stock...S13 would be in front in a straight line, and as for corners, dont think there'll be much of a difference at all dude, driving style is very different, and car reaction to driver input is very different...take the best drivers to pillot these 2 cars around a track, i think you'll find the S13 out front in every aspect...

where did you beat S13s in your R :) was it turbo bro?

sorry man, i was just being a bitch.. =p

nothing against nissan's.. they are just as good as each other in some ways..but in others i dunno.. hehe..

ginganggooly
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM

DANGER!!!!!!!
BTW if u get the VTiR TEG now, in a few month, u will feel sorry for not waiting a little longer or borrowing some xtra dough for a TYPE R.
Every time u see a TYPE R on the road u will regret buying too soon.
I know, been there, done that! :x :x :x

i don't get that feeling :P

Boost
06-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Which insurance company are you with, too insure a 180sx for $1200 full comprehensive.?? please tell.. THanks

XXpl0Sive
06-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Well worded gigangooly about the s13/180 vs ITR
Couldn't agree more...If would have said the same, if my engrish was a bit better :P

Spunkymonkey
06-01-2004, 01:39 PM
bearing in mind, at the time, i was the only person i knew of with a vti-r, quote]

oh really ;)

yes Insurance can be a killer for the vtir teg....Don't ask me about the quotes I was getting 3 years ago when I bought my car....

I currently pay $1800 (covered for mods)...however that's including 60% NCB and agreed value of 25K. (My insurance is through a underwriter who specialises in modified or unique vehicles) so if your car is stock you won't be able to insure with them.

guard-rail
11-01-2004, 06:14 PM
ok eric i'll run you any day mate...

pornstar
12-01-2004, 12:59 AM
erm not to get any debates or fire going, but if ur itr catn beat an s13 turbo, then u cant drive. stock s13/s14 catn beat itr, not sure about s15, but every stock s13/s14 i raced in my stock R lost to me.

[[d a n n y]]
13-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Well worded gigangooly about the s13/180 vs ITR
Couldn't agree more...If would have said the same, if my engrish was a bit better :P

BEN shoosh..... :x

ur s14's gonna get smacked by the mighty civic... :P

kraftycuts
15-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Look here mate and everyone else

Your 180sx cost just as much to insure as would your intergra vtir or type r
i know because i had both cars .......

AND why in the world would you go and buy an Integra anyway ......... when you have a 180sx ........

I have never beaten an SR20det S13 in my integra vtir ...... and to be honest i never came close..............

Even in the corners the S13 pulls out quicker because the power is already generated through the turbo.. and by the time the teg hits vtec the s13 is gone.

Fuel consumption ...... both cars uses almost the same amount ...

in parts the s13 is cheaper and is easier to locate spares these days.

so do yourself a favour stay with the s13 mateyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Unless your softening up and want to start a family by all means get the teg(all show no go)!!!

olda
17-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Look here mate and everyone else

Your 180sx cost just as much to insure as would your intergra vtir or type r
i know because i had both cars .......

AND why in the world would you go and buy an Integra anyway ......... when you have a 180sx ........

I have never beaten an SR20det S13 in my integra vtir ...... and to be honest i never came close..............

Even in the corners the S13 pulls out quicker because the power is already generated through the turbo.. and by the time the teg hits vtec the s13 is gone.

Fuel consumption ...... both cars uses almost the same amount ...

in parts the s13 is cheaper and is easier to locate spares these days.

so do yourself a favour stay with the s13 mateyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Unless your softening up and want to start a family by all means get the teg(all show no go)!!!

Grey imports are generally more difficult to insure. :)
The re-sale value of the Teg is generally higher. :)
Spare parts are a lot easier to obtain (not that you would need that many). :)
The Teg will be a lot easier to sell, when time comes. :)
And yes S13 is quicker than Teg. :(

coladuna
17-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Integra looks way better than 180SX.
I hate the way 180SX looks

civicboy
18-01-2004, 10:07 PM
180 still looks alrite...& its got more power

guard-rail
19-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Integra looks way better than 180SX.
I hate the way 180SX looks

180sx looks shit?...ok then....well each to their own....but judging by the fact that it was designed in the mid 80s....and was still in production along side the s14 untill 98...i think the majority of ppl would think the 180sx was rather good looking....

when my 180sx had only a muffler and shittiest of shit tyres....i was ripping 33gtsts and tegs both the R and Vtir both DC5 and DC2....so.....go figure.....

180sx are getting old though....but for the age of the damn thing...you gotta give it some credit :).....nissan 180sx parts will always be cheaper than honda original parts, pretty much everyone knows that

if you can get insurance for a 180sx for under 2G then stick with it....

cruskii
26-05-2005, 02:42 PM
i got quoted by justcars for my dc2R $67## for full comprehensive insurance.

other places dont insure type R's for drivers under the age of 25....

just cars for my old r33 gtst quoted $56##.

i was surprised considering that skyline was an import and type R wasnt.
however, they just said to me that parts for dc2 are more expensive :'(

10KRPM
26-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Ive owned an S15, wrx and now a type R....all i will say is....im selling the type r if i get a good price for it. lol.

Its all very well to have great handling but really how often do you drive on a race track every day? Next car for me will be another S15 or a supra...

If i had enough money i would keep the type R and use it as just a track car...but as an everyday car ...nah its just too annoying.

DC2108
26-05-2005, 11:10 PM
far man
yeh silvia rang is better n wrx r the coolest
but the type Rz have more style and it goz good of a n/a
pplz u saving money on pete wif honda z
all mi friends got turboz but its alright coz they alway complane on the pete too so its ok

kOncept
27-05-2005, 06:03 AM
I had an S14 with a few mods and now have a TypeR (wasn't by choice), In MY Opinion:

the SR20DET is a very strong motor and with a few mods you could smoke anything out there in a straight line the TypeR wont give you that satisfaction but then if you're putting it up against NA cars that's a different story,

i had track ZEAL coilovers on the 200 and it handled well in the twisties but found the power a lil too full on for track, but still didnt handle as well as the R with coilovers,

My friend owns a Vti-R and yes he wishes it was an R sometimes too except for the sunroof thing, considering you're not gonna mod this car to start with the R will be the best package obviously.

If you're gonna tune this car later down the track the note of the b18c7 is like music but i found with my s14 that the sound was mostly exhaust noise, i prefer the high revvvv N/A note personally

Get tEh :honda: R mAte...

where are you located ? i've seen some going for 25-26k in QLD.

One thing to look out for is tyres on the R the handling is so great you'll wanna pin every corner hard which will lead to faster tyre wear :rolleyes: ;)

kenshin
27-05-2005, 07:21 AM
insurance for a ITR/VTIR should be cheaper than insurance for a turbo s13...

HVL
27-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Lets put this comparison to an end. There was a comparison done by "Motor"
DC2R vs WRX(bug eye) vs S15 200sx. DCR2 was the fastest car from point A to point B, second fastest 0-400m(0.4 sec slower than s15). personally i have beaten a stock s15 down the quater mile by 1 car length in a ITR.

the above are on s15s, so with the age of the s13 and s14, they reallly should be comparing to the civic vtir. i have seen stock 180sx lost to stock civic vtir on staright line (not by much 1/2 car length), on the mountain and track the stock 189sx doesn't even come close to the stock Civic vtir.

If anyone have seen Best Motoring should know JDM ITR beats JDM s14 down the quater mile. lets not forget staight line performace is exactly ITR's strength. Around tsukaba circuit it was very competitive against older STIs.

Okay let's put it this way, in term of power and sratight line performnce stock ITR dc2 is around the same as a stock s15. in term of overall performace, as the ITR is a much more purpose built car for racing, it is faster than a s15. However s15 can be fast too, but not in its stock form. also as we all know s15 have huge poteintial for drag and drit, which ITR can never dream of doing.

Honda performace cars is about balance, not muscle (Bruce lee vs mark tayson :) )

bluebird
27-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I went from a SR20DET equipped car. I lasted 7 months in the Integra VTiR, and went back to RB25DET power. I simply couldn't adjust to the lack of power & torque (low / mid range power) - if I purchased a Type R, that might have been different, but they are more expensive. :(

You'll be disappointed by a STOCK VTiR - you can make them into a great car, but in stock form they are very over-rated by Honda fanatics.

You'll be going backwards in terms of a "drivers car", unless you put money in on mods ;)

My opinion, anyway.

Cheers,
Tommo.

Benji
27-05-2005, 02:45 PM
i disagree, i used to drive a 2L turbo and i was very surprised and impressed when i test drove a VTIR, for a 1.8L it has decent power, i loved it.

DHOCHKG
27-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi all,
i am now too..and i used to own a 90 integra LS but then i sold it..cos the KM scared me it done almost 300,000 so i got myself a 180sx....after a few month found tubro is too much for me...!too much?yeah too much to care of,too much money spend on it..!
So now i am SURE that Integra :honda: is my type of car...!
the power output etc...is just WOW....!

so atm im selling my 180sx and aiming for a 94+integra Vti...
wat price range im looking for..?
and wat should i check before purchase?

THank.... :D

vti-r teg
27-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I may consider selling my 97 vti-r if I am offered a resonable price :)

CONAN
27-05-2005, 05:09 PM
ahhh them turbo cars, to much hot air!

Benji
28-05-2005, 09:48 AM
DHOCHKG: my brother got a stock 97 vtir with 110,000km and full honda service history for $15k a few weeks ago, so you should be able to get one for around that price.

GSI-PSI
29-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I may consider selling my 97 vti-r if I am offered a resonable price :)

whats a reasonable price because im after 1?

Speeder
29-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Okay let's put it this way, in term of power and sratight line performnce stock ITR dc2 is around the same as a stock s15. in term of overall performace, as the ITR is a much more purpose built car for racing, it is faster than a s15. However s15 can be fast too, but not in its stock form. also as we all know s15 have huge poteintial for drag and drit, which ITR can never dream of doing.

Honda performace cars is about balance, not muscle (Bruce lee vs mark tayson :) )

Its funny how you say the 2cars have similar power...yes they have similar hp, but what effectiviely makes a difference is the torque, all hondas lack bottom-mid end torque, and thats a more of a factor when it comes down to speed. I agree that ITR is very concentrated car, ready to be tracked from the factory, but you said purpose build for racing....yes the ITR is a racey car, but what about a RWD turbo??? I believe true sports cars are rwd, but the ITR is a very good package especially for an FF. I have been and driven a few nissan rwds and it takes more skills to drive them quicker then our FWD, and that is why some people on here says they can beat a s13-s14 from the lights etc because some-majority of drivers with high powered rwd cars can't drive or don't want to risk destroying their ride.

Back to topic:
Hey I reckon keep your S13, it sounds very nice, but then again integras are more fuel friendly and most likely cheaper to run in overall expenses.
either way good luck!

10KRPM
30-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Its the torque that is the difference. As much as we want to, most of us cannot afford to have 2 performance cars in the same garage. To me the Type R...when fully modded as mine is, is too focused in its use and therefore useless to me due to the fact that i cannot drive at the track every weekend and 2..you cant drive like your on the track on the street ;).

I could change a few things on the type R and make it "softer" but then thats a band aid solution. No i think i will go back to turbos when i have the chance...turbo 6 that is :D

Also..i drive on the highway allot...so thats what makes it more worse owning a type R....didnt use to but new gf lives an hour away and so ....

Also with regards to the performance...yes it is reasonably close to the other cars but it does so by working harder (reving higher).

jaeyon
01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi all,
i am now too..and i used to own a 90 integra LS but then i sold it..cos the KM scared me it done almost 300,000 so i got myself a 180sx....after a few month found tubro is too much for me...!too much?yeah too much to care of,too much money spend on it..!
So now i am SURE that Integra :honda: is my type of car...!
the power output etc...is just WOW....!

so atm im selling my 180sx and aiming for a 94+integra Vti...
wat price range im looking for..?
and wat should i check before purchase?

THank.... :D

i pity the fool who'd much rather a vtir over a 180. if it aint type r, theres no point getting it,you obviously do not own a 180, and i also assume you do not have your licence and have never actually sat in a real car. you should read what you have posted, then smack your head against the wall as you are wasting our air. IMHO youd be so much faster then a vtir in a straight line you woulnd't have to worry about corners. that or you dont know how to drive.

bennjamin
01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
FYI a 180 is a boat with a turbo. Altho it needs less mods to make it quick , it Needs much more work to make it handle good.

Let this thread die - and open up your perspective. There are many far better cars than 180s :)

Closed