PDA

View Full Version : brake problems

dorikin
21-03-2005, 08:17 PM
ok guys have some issues with the brakes
car is a 94 civic vti sedan

sometimes when i brake and come to a stop the pedal just sinks almost all the way to the floor.
i just bled the brakes yesterday and seems to have made the problem worse.
i'm pretty sure the problem lies in the master cylinder
because i dont think there are any air bubbles or leaks in the system.. the reservoir is still full
does anyone have any other suggestions..
can you get the m/c rebuilt and how much will it cost
or would it be better to buy a new one
and do you have to replace the brake booster aswell?

also is this the right sequence to bleeding the brakes.
rear right > rear left > front left > front right

thanks

aimre
21-03-2005, 08:22 PM
ummm... go see someone who know what their doing.... before u become a statistic

prefebly tow it

CIV73C
21-03-2005, 08:33 PM
heyy man..
its the master cylinder thatz causin the problem

its happenin wif my ride too..
just havnt been botherd to change it yet

wynode
21-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Probably your master cyl seals

ECU-MAN
21-03-2005, 09:49 PM
you need to overhaul or replace your master cylinder

dorikin
21-03-2005, 09:50 PM
are there aftermarket master cylinders available for the civic?
and does anyone know the prices

ECU-MAN
21-03-2005, 09:51 PM
just get your master cylinder overhauled, it would be your cheapest option. shop around

dorikin
21-03-2005, 09:54 PM
okay thanks ecu-man
do you know if that is the correct sequence to bleeding the brakes?

in the service manual it says rear right>front left>rear left>front right. but thats an american manual where there mc is on the left
would it be the same for our rhd cars.

ECU-MAN
21-03-2005, 09:58 PM
start from leftr rear, right front, right rear left front,

Steer^Gimic
21-03-2005, 10:01 PM
the sequence is
rear left >> rear right >> front left >> front right

rear left and front right share the same line
rear right and front left share the same line

not sure if that's of any help
but good luck

dorikin
21-03-2005, 10:12 PM
thats what i thought steer^gimic. which is the same as one of the diy tech articles.
but then the service manual just confused me even more.

ECU-MAN
21-03-2005, 10:18 PM
its always best to start from the furthest caliper from the master cylinder, then its coresponding caliper on its same line channel, the the opposite channel.

garett
22-03-2005, 08:41 AM
it sounds to me like there could either be broken diaphragm (think thats how to spell it) in the master cylinder if so the master cylindar will have to be overhauled or replaced which ever is cheaper mate because you will be getting the same results

also im not sure whether the vti has abs but if so there could be an air lock in there, it happened with my ludes abs system which is a corresponding system to the original system, so after i spent about a grand on the brakes they told me that i had to go to honda to fix it (the abs leak) that is

4thgeneCivic
22-03-2005, 10:33 AM
get a new master cylinder....this has happen to me tooo and it fixed the problem

dorikin
22-03-2005, 06:53 PM
car has no ABS

4thgenCivic how much did the new bmc set you back?

dorikin
23-03-2005, 03:14 PM
is it difficult to rebuild the master cylinder.
i have bought the part
now im thinking of doing the job myself.
does anyone have a diagram of how the parts fit into the mc
i have the service manual but it doesnt show you how to rebuild them, only replace.

ECU-MAN
23-03-2005, 08:08 PM
it would be best to take it someware like a brake place or a mechanic, if your unsure you probably shouldnt be doing it yourself. brakes are to imortant to get wrong

dorikin
23-03-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah i figured i better give it to someone that knows what they're doing.
anyway found a place that will do it for $40
does that sound reasonable?

ECU-MAN
23-03-2005, 08:14 PM
bargain

as long as they bleed the brakes as well

dorikin
23-03-2005, 08:18 PM
oops i should have mentioned im gunna be pulling it out
and supplying them with the bmc and kit.. so im paying just for them to overhaul/rebuild it
i can put it back in and bleed the brakes easy..

i got quotes between $80-90 to drop my car off and let them do everything

ECU-MAN
23-03-2005, 08:22 PM
still good

still bleed the master cylinder 1st then connect the brake lines. then bleed the rest of the system

dorikin
23-03-2005, 08:36 PM
when u say bleed the master cylinder first
do you mean just top it up and pump the brakes to get the fluid flowing through and clean the crap out

btw thanks for all your help mate

ECU-MAN
23-03-2005, 08:50 PM
yes that is one reson but the main reson is to get the air out of it, or you will be bleeding brakes for a while.

use a plastic bag to catch the fluid, fill the resivor , get some one push the pedal down, then plug both holes with your fingers, then get them to lift there foot up. then unplug the holes. and down again. do this until you get a steady stream of brake fluid coming out from both holes. know what I mean.

dorikin
23-03-2005, 09:07 PM
yeah i get it now

cheers!

4thgeneCivic
23-03-2005, 10:11 PM
car has no ABS

4thgenCivic how much did the new bmc set you back?

$150

berniebern
31-03-2005, 01:58 PM
A known problem with EG Civics. About $200 to fix. This problem for me has stopped because the weather is cooler but in warm temperatures and with the air con on my brakes did exactly the same thing.

A little scary !!!

MrPlow
31-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I have a similar problem, maybe the same... I had the MC changed, but still the problem is there...

I almost had too accidents due to having no pedal at all... going to do a huge brake inspection this week, and even change my lines with braided ones...

edw-R
31-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I think some air in your brake system. If you don't know the right method to bleed your brake fluid, try to honda to fix it. I had the same experience before, but i fix now.

dorikin
31-03-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah all fixed now
65 for the master cylinder rebuild kit.. genunine honda part
45 for labour to get rebuilt
10 bucks for honda brake fluid
and about half an hour of my time to bleed the brakes

Zimp13
05-01-2006, 03:48 AM
yes that is one reson but the main reson is to get the air out of it, or you will be bleeding brakes for a while.

use a plastic bag to catch the fluid, fill the resivor , get some one push the pedal down, then plug both holes with your fingers, then get them to lift there foot up. then unplug the holes. and down again. do this until you get a steady stream of brake fluid coming out from both holes. know what I mean.

wat u mean by both holes? which 2? rear ones?

ECU-MAN
05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
no the holes on the master cylinder where the two brake lines screw into.

when you install a new or rebuilt master cylinder you must bleed it 1st. with out the brake lines connected. use a plasic bag to cover the master cylinder and catch the fluid coming out of it.