PDA

View Full Version : Jazz X-Force header Review

Tony
21-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I have posted this in the Articles/Review section but for some reason it doesn't show up?? Anyway, here's the review:-

The following review is purely my personal view on this product.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Trav (egSi) for sending me the header. The header came in perfect condition and it took less than a week to get here. I'd strongly recommend this seller to everyone.

Welding: 7.5 (10 being perfect, <5 is not acceptable)
The welding on the outside of the exhaust manifold is very nice, however if you look from the inside, some joints hasn't been filled completely by the welds. I've seen this happened to other big name brand headers as well, so I guess it's not too bad. Carbon deposit will probably fill up these gaps very quickly anyway..
The welding on the front pipe is very nice, both inside and outside.

Fitting: 7
The position for the header reinforcing bracket is out by alot, I'll need to get someone to custom make another bracket for me. Personally I don't think the bracket is very important coz our Jazz engines are not going to shake very badly anyway. Also, part of the front pipe is touching the underside of the car, which resulted in a bit of unwanted noise. Again, I don't think it bothers me at all, I can only hear the noise when driving at slow speed with air-conditioning/stereo both turned off.

Sound: 10
I'm still using my stock exhaust for cat-back so what I hear is what's been changed by the header only. I've noticed a slight difference in exhaust note after I had the header installed. It's only very subtle difference and I can only hear it from outside the car. It sounds deeper, it's not loud. hmm.. I reckon it sounds similar to a stock M3. lol

Installation: 6
Get a mechanic to do it, don't do it yourself unless you have the proper tools and a hydro lift. You'll need to access the back of the engine from above and below the engine bay and you'll need to remove the airbox and intake manifold to reach the back of the engine. Also fitment of the header isn't the best so you'll need to force it a bit to tight up some of the screws. Listen to me, get a mechanic.

Overall satisfaction: 9
Ok, I had the header installed and took it for a test drive. I noticed a significant difference at higher rpms. The rpm needles went up a little bit quicker than before. Overall very happy.

MRFIT
21-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the review Tony, I am considering getting the header , b-pipe myself too, this is what I've been waiting for......

$470 is certainly a good price.... I mean a spoon header alone cost over $1K.....

cheers

TypeG
21-03-2005, 10:13 PM
what a good write up
clear and nice
any one want the header only?
i want that bpipe

also for aftermarket cat, do you have to cut up the bpipe and weld it on?

Zimp13
21-03-2005, 10:19 PM
The position for the header reinforcing bracket is out. Its the same as mine but i dont think i am gonna do anything to it. its not gonna go anywhere i think. too much of a hassle to take the header out again.

As part of the front pipe is touching the underside of the car, mine is ok...

The thing that puzzle me now is the catalic converter. where is it actually? its a part of the bpipe rite? does the xforce bpipe has a cat? the shape of the bpipe seems like there is a pre-cat attached to it. cos after the bpipe there is no cat, only resonator.

Lastly, y did u (Tony) use SAFC instead of a VAFC? i wanna fit a VAFC. Do u know how to tune it Tony? Maybe u can gimme some advice or i have to get it dynoed (costs an arm and a leg).

As wat i have been telling some people, it is 100% worth getting xforce header.... Oh... by the way, u dont have to take out the manifold to fit the header....

Hey Tony, does ur exhaust fume become more smelly after u put the header? wat did u do to the extra oxy sensor hole?

Tony
21-03-2005, 11:15 PM
The thing that puzzle me now is the catalic converter. where is it actually? its a part of the bpipe rite? does the xforce bpipe has a cat? the shape of the bpipe seems like there is a pre-cat attached to it. cos after the bpipe there is no cat, only resonator.

Oops, I forgot to put this into the review. Basically there is no catalic converter at all. It's been replaced by a resonator.

Lastly, y did u (Tony) use SAFC instead of a VAFC? i wanna fit a VAFC. Do u know how to tune it Tony? Maybe u can gimme some advice or i have to get it dynoed (costs an arm and a leg).

I got the S-AFC II simply because they didn't have V-AFC II in stock at that time :P I don't need to change the VTEC engagement point anyway so it doesn't make any difference at all.
I don't know how to tune it but I know something is wrong if the knock number goes too high.

Hey Tony, does ur exhaust fume become more smelly after u put the header? wat did u do to the extra oxy sensor hole?

The exhaust fume is smelly after I install the header. I think it's normal because it happens to other stainless steel headers as well. I think it is the smell of burning stainless steel pipes.
I put a bolt in the extra oxygen sensor hole.

petrovski
21-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Awesome write up! :thumbsup: well done :cool:

VERY useful info.

Pete :)

Tony
21-03-2005, 11:43 PM
also for aftermarket cat, do you have to cut up the bpipe and weld it on?

Yes you'll have to cut it.

Zimp13
21-03-2005, 11:56 PM
i wont cut the bpipe to put the aftermarket cat. i will put the cat at the resonator spot rite now. So there will be no resonator anymore.....

TypeG
22-03-2005, 12:17 AM
no resonator?
will it be too LOUD if u got aftermarket exhuast like N1?

Zimp13
22-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Trav said that the small 2 inch thing attached on the xforce bpipe is a small resonator.... and typeG, N1 is already loud anyway, with our without the resonator..... heheh....

TypeG
22-03-2005, 09:44 AM
nope
some N1 is not really loud but with a normal size resonator, it help a lot on my ITR with spoon N1

Zimp13
22-03-2005, 10:23 AM
nope
some N1 is not really loud but with a normal size resonator, it help a lot on my ITR with spoon N1

u use N1 typeG????

muli
22-03-2005, 10:42 AM
who did you get to install it tony?

TypeG
22-03-2005, 10:49 AM
he install himself I think

TypeG
22-03-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17327

some of your may be pissed by the price

Tony
22-03-2005, 11:29 AM
who did you get to install it tony?

I got Centrax to do it for me, too much hassles. :P
I was there to watch them do it though, took almost 2 hours.

Tony
22-03-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17327

some of your may be pissed by the price

Well.. it's only $90 difference anyway. I'm still happy :)

TypeG
22-03-2005, 11:42 AM
ask someone to do it? how much they charge?

Zrimp, i love u so much for install my header for me

man $90 can already do so much thing for yr car and it is like one week thing which is a BIG different FOR ME maybe

Tony
22-03-2005, 01:16 PM
man $90 can already do so much thing for yr car and it is like one week thing which is a BIG different FOR ME maybe

Well, that Toda guy hasn't got any Trade rating so..

TypeG
22-03-2005, 02:07 PM
oh u dunno him? he even got a shop in sdyney
top guy in RSM forum but anyway u got exhuast as well?
coz he got xforce exhuast too and I really want to see how much gain XForce can pull out...

baboo
22-03-2005, 02:17 PM
go crack that 64sec at QR

Tony
22-03-2005, 07:03 PM
go crack that 64sec at QR

When are you going to the track again? I'll start again once I've got some good tyres and brake pads :P yeah, hopefully I'll break into the 64 seconds zone :D

Tony
22-03-2005, 07:07 PM
oh u dunno him? he even got a shop in sdyney
top guy in RSM forum but anyway u got exhuast as well?
coz he got xforce exhuast too and I really want to see how much gain XForce can pull out...

I think I'll have to skip the cat-back for now, I've just ordered some Endless/Zeal suspension today. My wife is going to kill me soon if I keep spending like this, lol

TypeG
22-03-2005, 08:47 PM
LOL
woman always complain on us

endless coilover?
is it too hard for yr wife?

Zimp13
22-03-2005, 09:38 PM
can adjust the stiffness ..... ;)