PDA

View Full Version : Engine feels stronger after lots of revs?

redseven
09-03-2013, 02:55 PM
This is weird. Previously I'd been doing mainly town driving so the engine hasn't been revved much into VTEC territory, especially as it's so easy to break the town speed limit in first gear at 6800 rpm :(

Recently I got the chance to stretch the CU2's legs on long highway drives at high speed, so I revved it to the redline any chance I got. The engine now feels a lot smoother and sounds better past 5000 rpm. It also feels more powerful (so says the butt dyno).

The thing is I haven't changed the oil or serviced the car for the past five months. I'm wondering if regular VTEC activation cleans out the crap in the engine or if the engine needs regular revving to keep things working properly. Next oil change I'm gonna try the new Honda 0W-20 oil to see if the engine revs even smoother.

chuboy
09-03-2013, 03:30 PM
More likely, the ECU remapped itself to your new behaviour when you started driving aggressively, and now responds as such around town too. I suspect nothing has changed except throttle response.

eren
09-03-2013, 03:37 PM
More likely, the ECU remapped itself to your new behaviour when you started driving aggressively, and now responds as such around town too. I suspect nothing has changed except throttle response.
this & maybe if you had some blockage in cat , or something and going hard cleand her out .

EKVTIR-T
09-03-2013, 03:39 PM
the CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet pre-sets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone

PHO
09-03-2013, 03:39 PM
the CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet pre-sets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar2484_208.gif

eren
09-03-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar2484_208.gif

philip_pc
09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
just wondering, if revving can help clear out crap from the internals.
Would revving from a stand still have the same effect as redlining it on the road
this is safer (without breaking speed limit)
will it give the same effect, this way it can be done in just the driveway/

Fredoops
09-03-2013, 10:41 PM
just wondering, if revving can help clear out crap from the internals.
Would revving from a stand still have the same effect as redlining it on the road
this is safer (without breaking speed limit)
will it give the same effect, this way it can be done in just the driveway/

Revving at neutral is limited to 4000 RPM IIRC, the VTEC doesnt engage till 6800 RPM.

So it doesn't really work the same way.

redseven
10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
First my car gives me more power, then it grows a new brain and wants to take over its human owner :) I don't know if the ECU changed its throttle behaviour because I'm still seeing the same fuel consumption as before. Could be crap in the engine or even the cat... anyway I'm definitely going to try the new 0W-20 at the next oil change.

ChaosMaster
10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Revving at neutral is limited to 4000 RPM IIRC, the VTEC doesnt engage till 6800 RPM.

So it doesn't really work the same way.

Peak power arrives at 6800RPM. VTEC engages at 6000RPM. Would be pretty bad if it did engage at 6800RPM as red line is at 7200RPM.

As for revving being good for the engine, well, I was taught that when servicing your car, you should rev it, cos then the pumps work at higher pressure, forcing out any possible clogs in the oil paths. However, having said that, considering the age of the car, if oil is already clogging up........

ExpressCoffee
10-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I just want an excuse to fang my CU2 right now and I'm getting it serviced on Wednesday.. should I give it a few nice runs?

Jasemas
10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I just want an excuse to fang my CU2 right now and I'm getting it serviced on Wednesday.. should I give it a few nice runs?

Why not?

chuboy
10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
It's your car. Why do you need an excuse?

ExpressCoffee
11-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Say no more.. hahah :p

redseven
17-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Sent the car in for a service and filled 'er up with Honda Ultra LEO SN 0W-20, after previously using Honda Gold SM 5W-40. The engine revvs a lot smoother now and that metallic bark after VTEC kicks in at 5000 rpm sounds glorious. It's also a lot cheaper than the old oil.

Damn I love this engine... there really is nothing better than a high revving engine with decent torque, the throttle response and noise is a lot better than with turbo fours. I don't bother using the auto's S-mode for highways because the normal D-mode kicks down a lot faster. Dropping two gears to scoot from 5000 rpm hides the engine's low torque but it sure as hell is fun :)

I haven't had pinging issues probably because the old Spirior/CU2 had the K24Z5 Accord engine which was tuned to run on RON93 fuel. New Spiriors get the full power TSX motor (weird K24Y5 code) but these need RON97, a bit pricy and hard to find in these parts. New Spiriors also get LED rear lights and these look like a straight drop-in to the old model... might give this a try soon.

All the 2.0 and 2.4 liter Honda cars in China - CRV, Civic, Accord, CU2, Elysion - have the option of using the new 0W-20 oil, the US has been using it for a few years too, so I assume Honda has OK'd its use worldwide.

ExpressCoffee
17-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Just had a service but still using old 5W-40, has anyone else changed to the 0w- 20?

richard_k
27-03-2013, 03:55 PM

yolo brah

BigBen
27-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Yeah,I'm running Amsoil 0w-20 signature series and loving it.