PDA

View Full Version : FW to RWD..

nxx
22-03-2005, 02:40 PM
K this might sound really stupid but is there any chance of converting a 3rd gen prelude into rear wheel drive?

out of all the prelude's i like the older 3rd gens, the 4ws, the nice cumfy racy kinda feel when you sit in em, But i dont fancy fwd to much..

i dunno much about these cars and about the only valid reason i have for not liking fwd is because it just seems weird having the front wheels do the pushing, and i heard it was hard to drift in fwd.

i might get a 3rd gen, and aside from the question above i was wondering if they worthy of doing up?

i serached and it kept coming up with completley different stuff so if its already been discussed plz redirect me to the thread.

civ_sik
22-03-2005, 02:45 PM
it is clearly harder to drift in a fwd as the pull the car so its more a slide than a drift when a fwd car is sideways. as far as the conversion goes i think it is a waste of money go buy a silvia or something.

THRUST
22-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Its going to cost you a sickly amount of cash to do it.

nxx
22-03-2005, 02:53 PM
but like i said above i like the feel of them, so your saying its possible to do this ? i think it would be a cool conversions if you had a tonne of cash that you wanted to put into your car.

any ideas on what kinda $$ this would need?

91'lude
22-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I have never seen it done.

As for cash. $10-20,000 would be my guess. You would have to rebuild the entire chasis, it would also throw of all the weight distribution, handling ability, and 4ws... So, no, u cant do it :P

nxx
22-03-2005, 03:23 PM
ooh damn that is bad lol.

ok well i guess i will throw that idea out the window, Ok so what about doing them up? can these be powered nicely?

also i am considering buying a 3rd gen for 3 to 3.5k, seems like a decent price and its from a friend, does that price range sound about right for it? its fully stock and seems ot have no engine problems, although i think at one time the engine was smoking and we though there was something up with the rings but now we dont know, if the rings were stuffed would that set me back alot to fix?

one more chance
22-03-2005, 03:28 PM
u have to ask yourself why you would want to do such a thing. 10-20K will cover it if you had your own workshop and could do it afterhours. if the seriously want to convert to RWD, the cheapest option is to rear-mount the engine.. that'll save alot of money and hassle (relatively).
buttom line, dont do it... too much of a headache!!

bigteethygrin
22-03-2005, 03:37 PM
you could always mould a drop over frame around a s2000 *shrug*

Civ_97
22-03-2005, 04:55 PM
yeah that aint a bad price for one man. from what i hear though they are very hard engines to tune. i know u lke that shape but just save and get a 4th gen you will be far happier with the car and the modding potential of it will be a hell of a lot better

Civ_97
22-03-2005, 04:56 PM
oh and as for the hole RWD thing, it has been done in the states to an integra so it is possible. your gonna loose the 4WS though which has already been stated. if u really want both a drift car and a 3rd gen lude, just buy the cheap lude off your mate then get yourself a cheap S13 and off u shoot.

91'lude
22-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, well, just cos the 4th gen has better tuning, doesnt mean he will want it.

Um as for portentual, if you stay N/A, there isnt much, exaust, headers, extractors, suspension, good tires etc... You will be able to pull a high 15 second pass.

Boost will get you into the 13's, but prepare to spend up to $10,000 for a reliable system.

Sorry to bring ur hopes down, but im just tellin the truth, doesnt mean there not great cars tho.

nxx
22-03-2005, 05:35 PM
hmm ok so bassically you can beef em up nicely but its gonna cost alot more to beef it up then most other cars?

10k seems kinda high lol.

First i was actually going to buy an s13 but i cant find any cheap s13's, ive been looking for one around 5k since thats kinda my budget right now, i dont even care if its stock but anyone who owns an s13 these days doesnt keep it stock so its hard to find em cheap.

i dont really mind to much about the drifting and stuff, i cant see my self drifting around corners in the streets of perth lol.

hmm, so if i get this lude of my friend for 3k, and have 2k left, what can i do to make it a little quicker, of course a turbo but that will obviously come later in time.

edit : btw, do the 4th's look like the 3rd's? is the price alot higher?

panda[cRx]
22-03-2005, 06:23 PM
just get a lude and forget about drifting. its ghey, slow and expensive (tires cost money ;))

nxx
22-03-2005, 06:36 PM
yup i most likely will get a lud now, ive been browsing the cardomain site for all the 89 preludes, they are sexy, i dunno why i never used to like em now i want to get one so bad.

im just a little worried about the condition of the motor in my friends one, can someone tell me like how to check it for problems?

or should i just take it to a petrol station ( the ones with the service garage ) and ask em to take a look at the engine ?

Usual Suspect
22-03-2005, 08:05 PM
They are a dman sexy car, damn sexy.

Best thing to do with about 2k is get a 2.25" zorst with a decent muffler, headers and get some shocks n springs or coilovers (but ill doubt ull get coilovers if u buy the other stuff).

Get an RAC inspection done on it and yeh take it to a garage and ask them if they can take a look at it, it will cost you (dont know how much) but at least u will know if its a lemon or not.

WHere abouts r u in perth, i live in the hills, but go to school in bayswater.

Usual Suspect
22-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Oh yeh if ur looking for a garage to take it too, take it to Honda North, my dad used to be the service manager their and one of his mates and old technicians works there now, good bloke, his name is Greg.

bennjamin
22-03-2005, 10:04 PM
or jsut buy a s2000 , and put on a 4th gen lude bodykit.
Instant RWD lude.

nxx
22-03-2005, 10:07 PM
how much do s2000's go for ??

what year model s2000?

simpdogg
22-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Save ya money and go overseas on a holiday, or choose another ride and s2k go from 25k-48k i was contemplating:o, but if ya buy my accord you can make my dream come true!!!!:D

nxx
22-03-2005, 10:18 PM
how much for your accord :confused:

got pics? live in wa?

edit : btw, im only 18, i dont need a holiday yet hehe.

civ_sik
22-03-2005, 10:30 PM
s2000 are upwards of 45,000 so i dont think you'd get one for 5,000 as they only started making them in 99

nxx
22-03-2005, 10:48 PM
oh yeah, im sure i can pull 45k out my cheecks to put a prelude body on it lol thanks guys :p

ludecrs
22-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Cheapest one on the Trading post is $11,500, but my mate bought one for $9,000.

They look like the 97-2004 Lancer at the rear with the triangle style tail lights.

nxx
23-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Cheapest one on the Trading post is $11,500, but my mate bought one for $9,000.

They look like the 97-2004 Lancer at the rear with the triangle style tail lights.

what car are you refering to?

ludecrs
23-03-2005, 12:41 AM
ah shit, sorry, didnt realise there was a second page

I was referring to a 4th gen Prelude.

nxx
23-03-2005, 12:43 AM
hmm well if i was gonna pay above 5k ide just stick with gettin the s13 i want.

91'lude
23-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Sub 5k wont get u a nice 3rd gen

For good condition expect to pay 6-8,000 reasonably.

WHy would u get a s13 over a 3rd gen ???

nxx
23-03-2005, 03:22 PM
because i like s13's and that was the car i wanted. and if your right and saying i will be paying 8k for a decent 3rd gen ill just stick to my initial plan and get an s13 :)

spiller
23-03-2005, 03:24 PM
DONT get an S13!!!!! unless they are modded crazy they handle shity, look shitty, feel shitty and arent that fast. Sure they are faster in a straight line than the 3rd gen but IMO the 3rd gen has much more classy looks, interior etc and a nicer car to drive. Amnd yeah what 91 lude said, under 5k and you will end up with an average one that could bing many problems. I know we are kinda bursting your bubble but it is the harsh, harsh truth.

nxx
23-03-2005, 03:25 PM
your not bursting my bubble, i arleady know s13's are great cars so i dont mind lol

91'lude
23-03-2005, 04:05 PM
I think he ment the sub 5k bubble.

But hey, a sub 5k lude is much nicer than a s13:P

man.exe
23-03-2005, 09:33 PM
There's a lot of cheap S13's, but don't ever get an automatic!
With the S13 you will perhaps have problems with insurance, body parts are hard to find if you crash it (it's an import)

Any car can be a great car it just depends on how much money you spend on it.

Usual Suspect
23-03-2005, 10:14 PM
well our friend nxx may think the S13 looks better than the lude, or maybe on par with looks, but its certainly easier and cheaper to make big power gains with the s13, whether using a ca18det or a sr20det.

nxx
23-03-2005, 10:48 PM
dont worry i hate automatic cars, i cant drive them, everytime i drive my mums auto skyline it feels retarded, feels wrong and ive always got my left hand near the shifter, when slowing down i try find a clutch lol.

once i placed an ad for a manual s13, and this dumbass came in posting saying im an idiot and i should just get an auto and its not much different. seriously whats wrong with people.

anyways, i like the look of both the s13 and the 3rd gens. If the 3rd gen was rwd it would be my perfect car heh, but so far the s13 would be my fav car.

alot of people also seem to think that you cant pick up an s13 for under 5k, i dunno where these guys get there info from but a stocker s13 would go for 5k easily, i know someone who payed only 3.8k for his manual s13, had no probs with it.

anyways, its like i said, if i cant get the s13 ill probably get my friends 3rd gen, that is if he hasnt sold it by the time i save up enough $$

Civ_97
24-03-2005, 12:19 PM
what since when are body parts hard to come by for S13s??? a mate of a mate had one and he had no problems at all finding parts. it mite be a different story in NSW but in QLD bodyparts are pretty easy and with tuning shopps such as CRed in perth i dont think he will have too much of a problem gettin parts

THRUST
24-03-2005, 02:25 PM
This is hilarious, at first you wanted to do a RWD conversion to a 3rd gen lude which would cost atleast $10,000, and we find out you wont even pay $8,000 for the lude.
This thread is pretty pointless, just go get your s13 if you want to, this is a Honda site you know.

Your first 6 words say it all

K this might sound really stupid but is there any chance of converting a 3rd gen prelude into rear wheel drive?

nxx
25-03-2005, 05:03 PM
i didnt want to i was asking if it can be done maybe you should learn to read you know.

91'lude
25-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Anything can be done, depends how much money u have...

THRUST
25-03-2005, 06:30 PM
i didnt want to i was asking if it can be done maybe you should learn to read you know.
So you never had the intention of doing if it? If it was cheap enough I bet you would. You might not have said that you would have but you implied enough.

And your answer was answered on the 1st page, yes but u got no cash too do it:wave:
And here is someone that has already done it.
http://www.pistonvsrotor.com/proyectos/usa/001/

panda[cRx]
25-03-2005, 09:57 PM
alot of people also seem to think that you cant pick up an s13 for under 5k, i dunno where these guys get there info from but a stocker s13 would go for 5k easily, i know someone who payed only 3.8k for his manual s13, had no probs with it

3800 for an s13?:rolleyes:

nxx
25-03-2005, 10:13 PM
So you never had the intention of doing if it? If it was cheap enough I bet you would. You might not have said that you would have but you implied enough.

And your answer was answered on the 1st page, yes but u got no cash too do it:wave:
And here is someone that has already done it.
http://www.pistonvsrotor.com/proyectos/usa/001/

i asked about a 3rd gen :rolleyes:

Bludger
25-03-2005, 10:35 PM
its always these young under 20's that want crazy things done.
anything can be done if you put enough money into the job.
you're 18, prolly JUST got your licence, have minimal driving experience, have no cash.......... blah, blah, blah..........
just buy a shit box to drive until you get your full licence......... because!!!
you'll have an accident in your 1st year of driving or b4 you get your full licence (garanteed)
you'll have no cash for repairs or to reimburse the guy you smashed into
balh, blah, blah
its pointless replying to this thread, you don't have cash to do anything so stop dreaming

you said you dunno much about cars so how do you know the difference in feeling between a fwd and rwd?

|N|
25-03-2005, 11:11 PM
get a AE86... they r like 3000-5000

u get wat u want...

VTC-8OY
26-03-2005, 01:33 AM
this thread reminds me of dirty deeds in HOT4s mags hehe..
Bludger: It's NOT GUARANTEED that you'll have an accident in your 1st year of driving or b4 you get your full licence!.. Not every1 mate. u could b on your p's for yrs n not have a single accident or get your full license first day n get into an accident.. P platers have a higher risk but its not guaranteed that they gona get into an accident lol.

VTC-8OY
26-03-2005, 01:41 AM
if u wana drift then get a s13 if its a turbo or if your certain on planning to turbo it! if ur planning leaving it n/a then no point. otherwise get a prelude!...

nxx
26-03-2005, 02:57 AM
ya that is what i said im gonna do....get a s13, if i cant get an s13, get a prelude..i said that somewhere back on one of the pages lol.

nxx
26-03-2005, 03:00 AM
eh and Bludger, just cause you sucked at driving at 18 doesnt mean we all did mate. being 18, or just gettin your license doesnt mean anything, you can crash 5 years after getting your license, or 1 month before gettin it, you can be 18 or 30, it means nothing and what you said bassically has no relevance.

its not pointless replying to this thread, ive been asking tonnes of just general questions in here, some not even related to the RWD/FWD thing. If you think its stupid then just go away and reply to threads wich have a "POINT".

get a AE86... they r like 3000-5000

u get wat u want...

Eh no thanks, these cars where shit untill initial D came out and everyone starting jerkin off over em.

ae86's are not cheap cars.

91'lude
26-03-2005, 01:30 PM
AE86 Trueno's have always been legondary cars, they just wernt mainstream.

Its the stock ae86 that people have been lickin at lately. Want more ae86 info... www.twincam.org. Btw, drifting is stupid on the street.

Dam this thread is full of keyboard warriors!!!
Bludger, iv had my P's for a year, and havnt had a crash, there is nothing wrong with a nice car on your P's..

Pritty much everyone that has said anything can be done for a certain amount of money is true... cos it is.

I dont see what ur big deal about RWD is? Why would u make a car thats been tuned for a FWD chasis to RWD... its kinda pointless. You lose every charactoristic of the car. Whats so important about RWD? Unless your over 200kw its not gunna matter, and if ur gunna be a hero burnout and drifting hoon on the street, go get ur s13, one less in the world...

Get which one you prefer better... its ur decision. We cant make it for you. As if anyone here is gunna recomend the s13.