PDA

View Full Version : Licensing in NSW and overseas question

cibber
17-03-2013, 02:31 PM
I currently have a full unrestricted NSW driver's license and P1 for the motorbike, I am also over 25 which means I am exempt from the P2 phase.

I am currently riding my friend's 250RR until around October or so when I have to return it at which point I will be vehicle-less. I am going overseas in June to a country where I'm a citizen of as well (I hold dual citizenship) so I can get a full license there for a motorbike fairly easily.

My dilemma is that my full year for the P1 phase ends in February next year rendering me around 4 months of which I will be without a vehicle, and as I want to get a 600RR, I do not feel like spending several grand on a LAMS bike for such a short period of time.

I am a mature age student as well as working part-time, public transport is out of the question as I travel ~ 120km a day. I don't have the funds to dish out at will. So my plan was to get an overseas license and seeing as I already hold a P1 license here would I be able to transfer to a full license?

I'd rather get other rider's thoughts rather than call the RTA and tell them a sob story of my woes and my plan to cut my time from P1 to full short by several months.

Will it work, won't it work?

bennjamin
17-03-2013, 04:01 PM
it won't work. You will have no vehicle to use until your fulls. Oh well lol.

Btw there are a few decent LAMS bikes that are decent enough to carry over into your full license riding. Also the second hand market you can grab some bargains out there.

Hayday91
17-03-2013, 07:54 PM
it won't work. You will have no vehicle to use until your fulls. Oh well lol.

Btw there are a few decent LAMS bikes that are decent enough to carry over into your full license riding. Also the second hand market you can grab some bargains out there.

LAMS and bargain should never be used in the same sentence.
OP, just get yourself a little shitbox bike to commute on when you get back.
A postie from the auctions can be had for about a grand last time I checked.
Not the most stylish or the quickest, but I've seen a dude ride one of those through macquarie pass and overtake some dudes on 600cc+ bikes.