PDA

View Full Version : Need the spotlight on a 97 Prelude Si

Statikflow
18-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Hey guys, im thinking of getting a 97 Prelude Si, manual and not sure wether i should or not. I had a BB6 VTiR before and it gave me nothing but headaches... Im not so sure on the F series. Are they reliable and etc?

curtis265
18-03-2013, 11:15 AM
PM renzokuukenj. He's got a really healthy engine. Had no issues in 200000k's

What issues did u have with your bb6..? I've had smooth sailling in the 2.25 years i;ve owned mine..

RenzokukenJ
18-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Scarnon

I bought mine as a lemon to be honest, one problem after another. But after fixing all the problems mine had in particular, I have driven 40,000kms with no problems at all. Mines at 205,000kms and still get 600kms a tank... Filled up yesterday, light was not on at all, 47.2L, 562kms... And that's with also thrashing it on the cruise we had lmao

curtis265
18-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Scarnon

I bought mine as a lemon to be honest, one problem after another. But after fixing all the problems mine had in particular, I have driven 40,000kms with no problems at all. Mines at 205,000kms and still get 600kms a tank... Filled up yesterday, light was not on at all, 47.2L, 562kms... And that's with also thrashing it on the cruise we had lmao

you're getting better fuel efficiency than my missus' D series (although it sits in traffic)

I find that i get better fuel efficiency after cruises, even if i do drive hard lol

RenzokukenJ
18-03-2013, 12:42 PM
you're getting better fuel efficiency than my missus' D series (although it sits in traffic)

I find that i get better fuel efficiency after cruises, even if i do drive hard lol

I sit in traffic as well mun dont get me wrong, the car is just in fantastic condition.

F series engines are quite nice to be honest, very easy to work on but not a lot of after market parts to get for it

How many kms does this one that you are looking at have on it?

Statikflow
18-03-2013, 12:50 PM
PM renzokuukenj. He's got a really healthy engine. Had no issues in 200000k's

What issues did u have with your bb6..? I've had smooth sailling in the 2.25 years i;ve owned mine..

It was always runing rich, leaking, poor fuel milage, auto trans was slipping and super laggy, aircon belt was a problem more the once, VTEC solinoid, left passanger side strut was blown some how, starter motor.. The list kept going lol...

Statikflow
18-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I sit in traffic as well mun dont get me wrong, the car is just in fantastic condition.

F series engines are quite nice to be honest, very easy to work on but not a lot of after market parts to get for it

How many kms does this one that you are looking at have on it?

Its done 226ks? Including logbooks..

RenzokukenJ
18-03-2013, 01:07 PM
It was always runing rich, leaking, poor fuel milage, auto trans was slipping and super laggy, aircon belt was a problem more the once, VTEC solinoid, left passanger side strut was blown some how, starter motor.. The list kept going lol...

I cant help with this because I also have a BB6 lmao

Runs rich, but you show me a sports car that doesnt run rich..
Depends on your mods on your car, I have a 2.5in catback on the bb6, and I get 500kms to a tank
auto trans can last and actually be a good transmission if you look after it
never heard of the aircon belt doing anything
vtak solinoid just needs a clean
lolwut at strut?
starter motors in all cars will die one day

Its done 226ks? Including logbooks..

ah nat bad...

to be honest if its done that many kms it might not be worth it, i expect my car to last until 300,000kms... but I do drive quite a bit.

though I will soon do a h22 conversion, i want that vtakz

curtis265
18-03-2013, 01:18 PM
sounds like you were just unlucky with your bb6.

-they all run rich
-auto trans is prone to failure - avoid.
- ac belt is unlucky..

sounds like old age catching up

wastingtime
15-04-2013, 04:12 PM
They've got a few common problems but they're getting old now. Ive had mine a year and a half and its been pretty solid apart from a bit of oil consumption, have a slight oil pan leak (h22a) and the rear tail lights were leaking. You Just have to get a well looked after one, mine at 170k still is on original shocks which aren't blown and I only just changed brake pads!

I say go for a VTI-R too, 43kw extra and they get equally as good fuel consumption, I've got over 550km to a tank many times.