PDA

View Full Version : NSW B20/B16 on P-Plates

Aaron1259
20-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Might be buying my cousins B20/B16 ek civic (vtir) and was wondering if it is legal to drive them on your p's.

Thanks

duzy
20-03-2013, 06:05 PM
It states it is illegal to drive a vehicle with any modifications made. But how many cars do you see on the road with mods, slammed etc?

Just make sure the car has no bad history with police and that it is engineered for the b20, meaning you'll need a mod plate since the displacement increase is over 15% (1.6l to 2.0l)
If you do get it, just be sensible with the mods and the way you drive it and you should be fine.

dCn
20-03-2013, 06:12 PM
ozhonda moite, everyone has engine swaps on P's :P

amant02
21-03-2013, 02:17 AM
b20 inside an ek big no no for p platers. These days everything is electronic cops have everything histroy/mods/engine number/vin number. If anything dont match they have the power compound ur car based on stolen engine, then good luck proving that one in court. Max you can have is a b18 in a ek. B20 would require a engineers cert. Which RTA states requires a engineers cert to be legal on road. P Platers cant drive anything that requires an engineers cert lol. If you want fun and descent fast, buy an eg b18c7 and do your usual I H E with a lighter fly wheel and 4.7 final drive and your sweet.

tripleuse
21-03-2013, 04:54 PM
These days everything is electronic cops have everything histroy/mods/engine number/vin number. If anything dont match they have the power compound ur car based on stolen engine, then good luck proving that one in court.

They wont impound your car if you simply prove that you own the engine. You will cop a fine however. 99% of police wouldnt have a clue what a b20 is, it looks the same as any b series engine. Unless your driving to hot spots like la perouse,Or acting like a retard with vtak you will be fine.But it is illegal, if you really are set on a 2L but want it to be legal. id buy a cheap teg and build a b20, that way engineering is not a problem, no engineering cert, thus p plate friendly :)

ceekay101
22-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Pretty sure your allowed to have an engineering certificate on your p's. Engineering certificate doesn't mean its modified I had to get an engineering very for my ef8 in nsw to register it due to it being complied many years ago but not having a compliance plate.

amant02
23-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Pretty sure your allowed to have an engineering certificate on your p's. Engineering certificate doesn't mean its modified I had to get an engineering very for my ef8 in nsw to register it due to it being complied many years ago but not having a compliance plate.

That's a different engineers cert lol. That is for compliance of an import. B20 requires a mod plate engineers cert, technically a blue slip is also considered an engineers cert. I remember there was a stage where b20's even freshly built ones were going dirt cheap cos P platers didnt know. I would say risk it but keep the car looking stock. That way you also have a sleeper.

tripleuse
23-03-2013, 10:08 AM
technically a blue slip is also considered an engineers cert.

a blue slip is not considered a engineers cert in any means.

amant02
24-03-2013, 11:56 PM
a blue slip is not considered a engineers cert in any means.

Have you seen the paper work? Its not even called a blueslip anymore. Its called a Engineers Cert. I just re rego my eg4 after canceling it for 1 year. It CLEARLY SAYS Engineers Report required in big bold large font. I got scared so i called RTA or what its called now days NSW Roads and Marine Time services? they told me its what blueslip used to be.

Edit: My civic is re rego'd I just went through the process. And yes i can understand where your coming from. Apparently things have changed these days, not any Joe Blow hold a permit to issue a blueey anymore.

Stanley
28-03-2013, 03:36 PM
P platers are allowed to drive engineered vehicles as long as they are not mechanical engineering modifications.

My Eg is engineered for cage,brakes, sussy and i'm on my p's and can legally drive it.