PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid spoiler installation

stevo1210
21-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to get the hybrid "ducktail" spoiler for my 2010 FD1 Civic. The dealer asked for $575 (fitted as well with GST). I'm kinda okay with the price, it's a genuine part so I can understand why it's so inflated for pricing.
But the parts salesman was unable to answer a question I had about the spoiler... IMO it's a pretty simple question. All I wanted to know was how the spoiler was held onto the car? Is it held on by screws or double sided tape like the duck tail spoiler on our Corolla.
This is the same spoiler that is installed on the Honda Civic hybrid. It's the flat one that looks like a marge door moulding but on the boot lid.

Thanks.

DuffyFD
21-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Why would you pay $575 when the exact same made thing is on eBay, painted in your colour for under $150.

They're mounted using double sided tape, which is another $10 for a roll for the good quality stuff.

curtis265
21-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to get the hybrid "ducktail" spoiler for my 2010 FD1 Civic. The dealer asked for $575 (fitted as well with GST). I'm kinda okay with the price, it's a genuine part so I can understand why it's so inflated for pricing.
But the parts salesman was unable to answer a question I had about the spoiler... IMO it's a pretty simple question. All I wanted to know was how the spoiler was held onto the car? Is it held on by screws or double sided tape like the duck tail spoiler on our Corolla.
This is the same spoiler that is installed on the Honda Civic hybrid. It's the flat one that looks like a marge door moulding but on the boot lid.

Thanks.

It's a genuine part with no function whatsoever, to go on a cheap, mass produced car which will not add to it's value significantly. I personally wouldn't.

To answer your question, yes, double sided tape.

lolmclol
21-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Lol dafuq ... $500 seriously man, what ever dealership you approached has to be trolling hard, theres more plastic and material in the side skirts I bought and without installation I think it was $50 more.

But it should be applied by 3M double sided tape, couldn't see any other application method. If I get time before saturday I'll wander down to the dealership near me and find out how much it is on its own.

davek
21-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I am shocked at that price. There is one for sale on ebay, painted and delivered to your door for just under $50.

stevo1210
21-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I am shocked at that price. There is one for sale on ebay, painted and delivered to your door for just under $50.

LOL I'd have to agree there. This time however, I'm not the one asking for it... my partner is! Yeah, I asked for ambient lighting ($250) and got a no... but it's okay to spend $575 on a useless spoiler... or as my partner says "a boot handle". :-/

Is the eBay one similar? or is it that M3 looking thing which I hate?

DuffyFD
21-03-2013, 03:47 PM
LOL I'd have to agree there. This time however, I'm not the one asking for it... my partner is! Yeah, I asked for ambient lighting ($250) and got a no... but it's okay to spend $575 on a useless spoiler... or as my partner says "a boot handle". :-/

Is the eBay one similar? or is it that M3 looking thing which I hate?

There's different types on eBay mate. Go have a look.

This whole thread is ridiculous

curtis265
21-03-2013, 08:49 PM
or is it that M3 looking thing which I hate?

are they not more or less the same thing o.0?

stevo1210
21-03-2013, 09:50 PM
This whole thread is ridiculous

You mean the PRICES in this thread are ridiculous.

Reason I started the thread was because I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTeUEPoN2M

It is the US version of the Civic but to install that duck tail you have to drill a few holes. Not really cool with the drilling of holes on the boot lid of the car.

stevo1210
21-03-2013, 09:51 PM
are they not more or less the same thing o.0?

Completely different. The M3 spoiler is like a strip of rubber about 4cm wide. I dislike that thing because it warps in the heat.

stevo1210
23-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I was just reading on 8th civic forums and it says the hybrid spoiler has 9 bolt holes?! That's even more than the regular spoiler. It's a USDM vehicle, so would that be different?

I was also watching this video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTeUEPoN2M I can see holes being drilled?!

lolmclol
23-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I was just reading on 8th civic forums and it says the hybrid spoiler has 9 bolt holes?! That's even more than the regular spoiler. It's a USDM vehicle, so would that be different?

I was also watching this video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTeUEPoN2M I can see holes being drilled?!

Their's folds down on the backface of the truck and surrounds the rear emblem so its a little different, I'm almost pretty confident the one we have should be just 3M tape, maybe screws because the OEM one they'd want to ensure that it's permanent.

davek
23-03-2013, 05:58 PM
You could ask the spare parts guys at your local dealership. I would suggest that it just tapes on. The OEM window visors do just that, not a single clip used much to my surprise.

iou
24-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi guy, just a noob question. When you want to put the 3M tape on, do we need to clean the surface with a special cleaning product (what would it be) or just water and dry up. Thanks guy.

davek
24-03-2013, 05:18 PM
My OEM visors came with an alcohol wipe. I would imagine a grease and wax remover would do the same job.

lolmclol
24-03-2013, 05:24 PM
My OEM visors came with an alcohol wipe. I would imagine a grease and wax remover would do the same job.

5char

stevo1210
15-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Seems like OEM ducktail does actually require drilling. However, I managed to get my hands on that $150 after market one, in the same colour too! That's a stick on part with 3M tape. :)