PDA

View Full Version : which ngk iridium plug for d15b4 (dual carb)

salman_m5
22-03-2013, 12:27 PM
hi guys,
thought someone can help me what ngk iridium should I go for my civic eg dual carb...don't have any problem with current plugs..they r due replacement next 4000km..thought to upgrading to ngk iridiums..so far what I know BCPR5EIX-11 is the recommended plug for the dual carb..
any suggestions plz..

chez00
22-03-2013, 01:39 PM
There is absolutely no need to "upgrade" to iridium. Stick to the standard ones for $4 each and save the money for other things - no extra power, no extra spark for your application. Longer lasting, sure. But it takes what, 10 minutes to change them out?

salman_m5
22-03-2013, 02:08 PM
u'd the first person I know sayin no increase in anything... :P seriously?

chez00
22-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah seriously. If you have turbocharged or have markedly increased cylinder pressures on your vehicle, iridium plugs come into their own. If not, save your money and put it towards a set of extractors or something if you want a smoother more powerful engine. Have a look on denso's own website under "what kind of performance will I get from these plugs" found here:
http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
Honestly not trying to knock you down, but it's a misconception that iridium plugs will improve performance out of the box.

Daveho1
24-03-2013, 04:39 AM
agreed honestly i rolled my eyes when i saw this tread but theres nothing wrong with stock plugs, infact very few of us need to change our ignition systems at all. save your money, or pay 80 dollers in plugs what ever its your money i guess

SAKI
24-03-2013, 11:48 AM
A good analogy to help understand why expensive plugs make no difference in a stock engine: "What lights a bucket of fuel on fire better, a zippo or a flamethrower?"
Of course it doesn't matter which one lights it, they both get the job done.
Even in my turbo prelude i use cheap NGK plugs, just two steps colder than stock. They work perfectly...

trism
25-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah seriously. If you have turbocharged or have markedly increased cylinder pressures on your vehicle, iridium plugs come into their own.

I disagree even with this.

In a turbo or supercharged car id only run regular copper plugs, its easy to gum them up when you run rich in a forced induction car, and last thing you wanna be doing is replacing 80 bucks worth of plugs every month.

The only time an iridium plug is needed is when its very difficult to access the plugs, because the lifetime is about 80k kms, compared to 20k for a normal plug.

example, Mitsu Magna V6
http://swotti.starmedia.com/tmp/swotti/cacheBWL0C3VIAXNOASBTYWDUYQ==/imgMitsubishi%20Magna4.jpg

To change the front plugs is a 20 min job, hence they recomend normal plugs,

to change the rears is a few hours, because to need to remove the intake manifold, hence also needing to replace gaskets. In the factory manual they recomend iridium/platinums for this, because you only change them once every 3 plug changes.

So to conclude.

dont bother.