PDA

View Full Version : Non-VTEC to VTEC

HondaGee
22-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Hey guys,

Ive just bought an automatic 92 prelude si with the H23a1 engine and im deciding to do an engine conversion (remaining automatic dont want to go manual due to personal reasons). I would like to ask what are your guys suggestions of what vtec engine i should consider to put it on my prelude (i was thinking the H22A4 for some reason :s) and how much will it cost for the labour. PLEASE NEED HELP HEHE :D

Thank you all :D

EKVTIR-T
22-03-2013, 09:04 PM
just make h23 frankenstein man

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=510617

HondaGee
22-03-2013, 09:15 PM
your saying that but wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy the h22a engine :L, and would it even have the same power output as the h22a?

Daveho1
23-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Hey guys i dont want to go manual due to personal reasons

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee426/daveho1/sus_zps659ff94c.jpg

HondaGee
23-03-2013, 08:24 AM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee426/daveho1/sus_zps659ff94c.jpg

Hahahaha not that I can't drive it don't get me wrong haha just saying :)

dc2r-0636
23-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Save your money, don't bother changing motors, coz u will jump in an drive it and be like
Wow is the all?

HondaGee
23-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Save your money, don't bother changing motors, coz u will jump in an drive it and be like
Wow is the all?

Hmm I think ill go with what you said man sounds logical... Thanks a lot :D

SAKI
23-03-2013, 04:07 PM
vtec conversion for 4th gen prelude = sell your car and buy a vtir 4th gen.

Jasemas
23-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Why not a H22a head on the H23 block
H23 VTEC?

SAKI
24-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Because the OP wants to pay someone labour to do it for him. The H23 vtec swap would be ok if he could do the work himself, but no way is it worth paying someone..

infurNOS
24-03-2013, 11:48 PM
IMO, Waste of time and money if you are going to keep auto trans.

But it is your car and if your heart is set, go for gold! H22a is an amazing motor if matched with a decent transmission.

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow is the all?

na man have to man my stock motor is on its way man, give it max 5 or 6 months and it would be dead :(

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:32 PM
vtec conversion for 4th gen prelude = sell your car and buy a vtir 4th gen.

na man noway not letting go of my car loll its got a brannew paint job and got leather seats nd all and its my first car you know how it is with first cars hahaha

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Why not a H22a head on the H23 block
H23 VTEC?

na man no point i recon because like i said previously my engines on its way and if i do a h23 frankestien i dont want any costs popping out of nowhere get me?

RenzokukenJ
25-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Just get H22 mun, try and find a JDM H22, lower kms and a little more power..

I am doing this down the track, even though in about a year or 2 will be looking for a s2k lmfao

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Because the OP wants to pay someone labour to do it for him. The H23 vtec swap would be ok if he could do the work himself, but no way is it worth paying someone..

exactly right and im newbie into this prelude thing hahaha

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:38 PM
IMO, Waste of time and money if you are going to keep auto trans.

But it is your car and if your heart is set, go for gold! H22a is an amazing motor if matched with a decent transmission.

first car man my heart has sinked into it hahaha, also put it this way 5 people in my family 4 of them with auto license and 3 cars (thats including mine) and im the only one that knows how to drive manual so i have to keep it auto so they use it aswell :L but again unfortunaetly your true man no point but then again ive gtta change my engine b4 i get stuck on the road haha

HondaGee
25-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Just get H22 mun, try and find a JDM H22, lower kms and a little more power..

I am doing this down the track, even though in about a year or 2 will be looking for a s2k lmfao

hmmm why jdm h22 how much power difference would there be :s and whats the price differences in engine? hahaha same here i might be going with the ep3 in about 1 to 2.5 years...have fun while saving man haha

RenzokukenJ
25-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Better engine m8

dat compression ay

tripleuse
25-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Wow is the all?

is that what the ladies say riceboy? ha harrr

dc2r-0636
25-03-2013, 03:51 PM

How am I ricerboy? Ur the ricer with a kswapbrodc2
How much power u pushing now? 140kwatw ? And it would of only costed ya 20k + In mods?
Cute

tripleuse
25-03-2013, 04:19 PM
How much power u pushing now? 140kwatw ? And it would of only costed ya 20k + In mods?
Cute

calm down man, shit you nissan fanboys really blow up. Have you punched your cat and put the grounding kit on your new s15 yet? ha ha riceboy.

EKVTIR-T
25-03-2013, 04:24 PM
calm down man, shit you nissan fanboys really blow up. Have you punched your cat and put the grounding kit on your new s15 yet? ha ha riceboy.

hey man have you installed f7 rear setup and beaks bar?

tripleuse
25-03-2013, 04:27 PM

cute, do you own a s15 aswell?

i have various beak bars, depending on days i change them. My favourite is purple. However sometimes i like gold, it can be confusing on which one to pick but somehow i get through.

EKVTIR-T
25-03-2013, 04:29 PM
cute, do you own a s15 aswell?

i have various beak bars, depending on days i change them. My favourite is purple. However sometimes i like gold, it can be confusing on which one to pick but somehow i get through.
probably use whatever colour matches your vans and raybans aye :p

dc2r-0636
25-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Nah sold the s15 bro. Yeh I did have a decat. Oh and a external wastegate with screamer pipe..
So sorry tree hugger.. U probably think I'm a bad person :(

I hav a FG f6 now. Oh it also has a decat and a 50mm external gate with screamer pipe.

tripleuse
25-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Nah sold the s15 bro. Yeh I did have a decat. Oh and a external wastegate with screamer pipe..

I hav a FG f6 now. Oh it also has a decat and a 50mm external gate with screamer pipe.

Youre such a baller. riceboys and their exhausts.

SAKI
26-03-2013, 05:27 PM
^^ What does all this crap have to do with Prelude motors? Get out.

OP - Given the fact that you are probably going to be paying someone for labour, i wouldn't be worrying about a potentially very costly conversion. I would be trawling gumtree/carsales/ebay for a cheap SI Prelude with a healthier H23A in it. A straight motor swap like this doesn't requires many tools, just a bit of patience and common sense. Join Prelude Australia if you haven't already, between them and here, people will always be able to help you along the way if you get stuck. Otherwise worst case and you get a mechanic to do it, it won't cost as much and they will be more likely to help you out.

RenzokukenJ
26-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Cute

probably use whatever colour matches your vans and raybans aye :p

Youre such a baller. riceboys and their exhausts.

lmfao wattttttttt

was like perth storms, blows up fakin huge amounts of rain and hail, 2 mins lata sunshine

RenzokukenJ
26-03-2013, 06:18 PM
^^ What does all this crap have to do with Prelude motors? Get out.

OP - Given the fact that you are probably going to be paying someone for labour, i wouldn't be worrying about a potentially very costly conversion. I would be trawling gumtree/carsales/ebay for a cheap SI Prelude with a healthier H23A in it. A straight motor swap like this doesn't requires many tools, just a bit of patience and common sense. Join Prelude Australia if you haven't already, between them and here, people will always be able to help you along the way if you get stuck. Otherwise worst case and you get a mechanic to do it, it won't cost as much and they will be more likely to help you out.

wouldnt h22 be straight fit if originally h23 was fitted?

SAKI
26-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Pretty much, but there is a little wiring to sort out for the vtec. 99.99% of mechanics won't know this though, and if he goes to a shop asking for an engine swap to a different engine they will just shake their head or quote and exorbitant amount. H23's are awesome anyway :P

Daveho1
27-03-2013, 04:53 AM
mate dw vtec is sh!t anyway and we all h8 it. just put in LS1 kunts lov it

HondaGee
08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Pretty much, but there is a little wiring to sort out for the vtec. 99.99% of mechanics won't know this though, and if he goes to a shop asking for an engine swap to a different engine they will just shake their head or quote and exorbitant amount. H23's are awesome anyway :P

hey sorry for the late one internet was down, ye i might think of putting a h23 back in but im afraid some costs may pop out like my car and cant trust many of them. BTW just blew my bottom end radiator and a couple of hoses linking to the radiator aswell :( so i need something asap ringing around for quotes and engines like a bloody call center haha