PDA

View Full Version : 90db exhaust noise limit

Marc_EE9
28-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Do you guys think this would pass an RWC for noise level?
Forgive my ignorance. I'm new to Australia and am still trying to get my head around the rules and regulations.

The rear silencer looks quite small...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/90-93-JDM-Integra-DA6-DA-RS-LS-GS-Cat-Back-Catback-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-System-/140942398579?roken=oBH0jN#ht_3706wt_1112

grifty
28-03-2013, 11:13 PM
As long as it has a muffler and resonator should be fine. Its also only 2.25 inch, this should easily be within legal limits.

EKVTIR-T
28-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Personally I dont believe it would pass

Marc_EE9
29-03-2013, 01:13 AM
what are your thoughts on exhausts and passing RWC's?

do you get custom ones made? i expect they are $600+ though...?

i really need a new backbox but dont want to spend $300 on one that's just stock

bart2
29-03-2013, 03:06 AM
definitely won't pass rwc unless u get a resonator welded on, everything is hollow except the rear muffler, i've bought something similar, went extremely loud after a week.
Plus these always tend to develop leaks for some reason

Marc_EE9
29-03-2013, 09:26 AM
so what advice would you offer? (my back box has a leak and rust, so failed the RWC).

gen2 CRX
29-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Those ebay exhausts are absolute shit. Get a new one made.

Marc_EE9
29-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I know, but i just need one to pass the rwc so I dont want to spend more than a few hundred.

how much are custom made cat backs?

mugen_ctr
29-03-2013, 03:23 PM
simple facts.... to pass rwc with exhaust, so long as its not rustings, leaking or excessive loud, usually they will look pass it, because so long as the car is in a state of "Road worthy State" it shouldnt effect the outcome of it regardless of Aftermarket or oem exhaust, noise level is dealt with EPA not the guys doin road worthy.

As far as noise levels for vic, Police dont look too kindly to loud shiny mufflers, u will eventually get pinned for noise test but nothing like wacking on oem to pass setup

AND FYI, that ebay cat back will never pass EPA noise test, legal is 90db or so, most cars average 85 - 89 db stock!!! usually test the car at 2/3 of the rpm, so for ek1 it will b around 5000 rpm

want a quite system? go custom 2.25 mandrel bent with a oem style center canister muffler, 2 resonators and a nice oval muffler, or if ur game enough, go 2.5 all the way

custom cat backs prices vary places to places, mandrel bent system like i said, 600 - 1000, call up an ask dats ur best bet

IMO ur better off just getting a oem system an saving up for a good high flow cat back if ur jus wanna pass rwc

SAKI
29-03-2013, 08:24 PM
^^ This. Roadworthy does not mean legal. I had a turbo prelude with a 3" straight pipe with cannon passed for a blue slip (unregistered inspection) in NSW. It was extremely loud, but the guy just said as long as it is sealed from header to the back of the car, it's roadworthy.

Marc_EE9
29-03-2013, 08:31 PM
good point guys, thanks for the info.

cal
14-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Do you have to have a resonator for rwc. I'm thinking of putting a straight pipe from the resonator back. Should I keep the resonator and just have no muffler. Anyone ran this setup on a integra?

DreadAngel
14-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Both the resonator and muffler are there for sound reduction...

But for RWC, check their documents, should specify what they consider is necessary =)

mooshie
14-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Cal, roadworthy only means the exhaust needs to be in good condition with no leaks or rust etc and exiting to the rear of the passenger door openings.

Roadworthy is not a dB check on the car although if the car is excessively loud then they are likely to not let you through. So to answer your first question specifically- no.

You can run the risk of what 'excessive' means to the inspector! If you can advise what state you are in as well it would help, as most states are very different when it comes to what actually happens at an inspection. What I refer to above is just a generalisation of most rwc processes referencing the ADRs.