PDA

View Full Version : NSW Are insurance claims warranted with car mods?

henrydinh
29-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Hope someone can give me some advice

Just got into a slight car accident today. Front bumper was hit during the collision. Luckily Im not at fault and the other driver is willing to pay out through insurance.

Her insurance company is with NRMA - I have a couple of concerns.
1) my engine light turned on after the impact. ( I was hit on front left side, and its really close to where my INJEN CAI sits, so im guessing my intake is buckled)
2) Apart from CAI ive also got a 2.5 ' catback as well.
3) im a green p plater

Im from NSW, and her insurer is with NRMA. Just worried that my car wont be fixed because of these mods.

Any comment?

Cheers,
Henry

curtis265
29-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Pffff no, they will fix it.. and if they don't, complain your ass off because that's not how insurance works.

They may replace your intake with an OEM one

sensei_
29-03-2013, 08:07 PM
my understanding is if your mods did not contribute to the accident, then the at-fault party have a responsibility to repair it back to pre accident state - which seems like your scenario.

whilst the insurer will typically try and use the cheaper option, you may have to fight to get the intake you had installed if they do not install it for you.

Fredoops
29-03-2013, 08:10 PM
its not going thru your insurance but the other person's so thats ok.

if you are going thru your own insurance is a different problem.

LD_Mart
29-03-2013, 08:11 PM
not sure how it works but i was insured with NRMA and when i had an accident in my old Subaru. i had intake, intercooler, turbo, exhaust, rims ect. Had to get assessed and they didnt say anything. They just fixed it. But none of my aftermarket parts were damaged.

If ur not at fault then u should be sweet as. But if you were at fault then they would probably not fix it because its illegal for p platers to do any performance modifications.

integraR
29-03-2013, 08:23 PM
it doesn't matter if your a green p plater

as it's not your fault

as long it's not your fault you have nothing to worry about

they'll possibly replace your damaged mods with new ones

note :i'm not an assesor but I do insurance claims at suncorp

mocchi
29-03-2013, 08:56 PM
suncorp insurance deals
$100 lifetime excess

pm integraR

dougie_504
29-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Should be fine.

Always a good idea to inform your insurance company of your mods though

sensei_
29-03-2013, 10:15 PM
suncorp insurance deals
$100 lifetime excess

pm integraR

that would be awesome. last time i got rear ended, my insurance couldnt determine fault and i lost $400 for nothing.