PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise in 1st and reverse

bowser_cl9
31-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi, I purchased my 2006 CL9 Manual last November and have had a strange random noise when taking off in 1st of reversing. Generally the noise happens when the car is under load taking off or reversing up a hill. The only thing I suspect is that it could be the serpentine belt but it is very hard to diagnose due to it being random. The tensioner arrow is dead in the center of the two squares. The noise generally last for no longer than 2-3 seconds and happens whether the car is hot or cold.

Car details
2006 Manual
103000km

Has anybody got any ideas?
CL9 Noise (MP3) (http://www.wagsalot.com.au/cl9_noise.mp3)

Cheers

aaronng
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Probably the clutch release bearing (also known as throwout bearing). The screeching sound will be louder when taking off up a hill.

bowser_cl9
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
If the throwout bearing was bad would it still make the noise in reverse?

kelvinator124
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Or the other answer is that honda uses planetary gears rather than coventional gears so to give small engines a better torque ratio, and that sound might be planetary gear changing, this also happens to automatics, you can actually here the clunk sound changing from drive to reverse.

bowser_cl9
02-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys, I'll take it to the Mechanic shortly for investigation. Does anybody know any decent honda mechanics in the Sutherland shire area Sydney?