PDA

View Full Version : EG or EH? summary of differences

SQXPRT
31-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi Guys,
Recently purchased a small car for the Daughter.
It's a sedan with EH9 on the VIN, build date 04/92.
It has a D16A8 motor in it.

I have a few questions - as there's a lot of mixed information on the net..

1. For the purpose of spares/add-ons and aftermarket parts, what is a summary of the things which make this different from an EG of the same year? This one because it needs a few trim clips and cosmetic parts to improve the "young persons' cred".

2. Is it feasible to swap to a V-Tec motor, and what would be the advantages/disadvantages of this over retaining the twin-cam non-Vtec.

Thanks for your time.

Boban
31-03-2013, 05:04 PM
As far as body panels go there is no difference between EG8 (came in GL, GLi or VEi trims) and the EH9 (either VTi or Si-what you bought). The only exception would be the roof panel on the VTi which has the sunroof from factory, but you won't be replacing that.
I believe (and i could be wrong) the only reason Honda used both EG8 and EH9 is to differentiate between the engine sizes fitted to the car (1.5l vs1.6l), according to the americans anyways.
You would have to pay attention when you order engine parts for your car as it is a Twin-cam model whereas the rest of the range is single cam (with the exception of EG9, but they're pretty rare), as well as having disc brakes all round (GL, GLi and VEi models had drums at the back)

As for swapping the Vtec motor in, unless you go for a B16A (out of the EG6/9 or EG2 del sol) or a B18C (1.8l out of the DC series integras) it's not worth it to bother with the Single-cam Vtec
Most of the engines form the Honda family will fit into the bay with some modifications (some require more than others), just depends how much time and money you're willing to invest and ultimately what you want from the car in the end. If you're going to turn it into a track monster with stripped interior and roll cage go for the engine conversion (whichever engine you can afford), if you or your daughter will just use it as a daily drive around the city and to/from shops leave the D16A8 in there that came with the car. One of my friends had one with 330 000 kms on it and it still went strong, till he wrote it off that is

Hope this helps, and if you need any other info feel free to PM me

SQXPRT
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
That's great info Boban, thanks.
Certainly will make parts easier to find.

As for the engine swap - I understand, and it will be a daily until she buys her own car.
Then.... Mwahahaha!! the fun begins.