PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Installed coilovers/shocks. ABS dashboard light stays on when driving

winsto_zuki
03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, I got my coilovers installed yesterday and the car feels great! However the ABS dashboard light comes on when I start the car, and disappears which is normal. After a few seconds of driving it comes back on again.

I have had a look around and it seems maybe a wheel sensor or something near the shocks was pulled or touched? If anybody knows or can give me a hand that would be awesome!

Super-DA9
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
There are little abs magnet sensors behind the brake discs, mounted to the hub assembly. Have a look at those and see if the wires are intact. Also clean all the metal shavings off them. Because they are magnets the shavings build up over time.

infurNOS
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
There are little abs magnet sensors behind the brake discs, mounted to the hub assembly. Have a look at those and see if the wires are intact. Also clean all the metal shavings off them. Because they are magnets the shavings build up over time.

Yea i agree. Chances are the ABS sensors were knocked during the coilover install.

curtis265
03-04-2013, 01:21 PM

+1 to this suggestion

winsto_zuki
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys ill have a go when I have time and see what happens!! Does that mean abs is off for the time being?

winsto_zuki
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Is there a picture of this magnet thing? Never seemed to notice this.. Located on the back of the disc??

winsto_zuki
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
No luck...I took all 4 off and cleaned them all today. However on the passenger front left side the sensor has rubber bit missing..
here is what it looks like

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m138/winsto_zuki/IMG_0803.jpg

here is what the other 3 look like
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m138/winsto_zuki/IMG_0801.jpg

i know about a way you can short the service check connector, not exactly sure where it is because the ones I look up are describing the Left hand drive integras.
any help is appreciated thanks!

winsto_zuki
04-04-2013, 07:26 PM
The one that seems broken should have been like that before installing coilovers because we didn't touch them beforehand.. I may ask my mechanic if I can't find the problem

Super-DA9
05-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Hang on, this is a '94 model right? Check the fluid level in the abs unit. If its low or has nothing in it, there's probably a leak. If it works there should be a buzz after starting the vehicle cold.

winsto_zuki
28-11-2013, 09:30 AM
The problem still hasn't been solved. Used the machine to test that all 4 abs sensors are working, and the problem seems to be the abs unit. My mechanic said the the fluid would 'bubble'? so not a leak I think but it could be a problem with the unit. He said he will use new fluids next service and see if that fixes the problem.

NA-tastic
28-11-2013, 11:12 AM
what "machine" did you use to test the abs sensors?

my hunch is, that you mentioned problem started occuring after you installed coils,so maybe you might've damaged one or more of the sensors when you were installing them.

maybe bumped,stretched, pinched, etc one of the cables, and theres non visible damage.

I usually use a multimeter to check the sensors...

winsto_zuki
28-11-2013, 04:59 PM
well it was a 'machine' that my mechanic charged $100 to use :S
he said all 4 were fine.. and concluded that the unit was the problem..

bennjamin
28-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the REAR abs sensor line/s may have been stretched ? These are attached to the rear control arms and need care taken or they can stretch or rip resulting in low or high voltage at the corner in question.