PDA

View Full Version : CV joints Acccord 2010

brokenback
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Damn...it appears both my front CV joints have started clicking when turning left/right accelerating, .suspiciously after tyres were changed the week before.

Thought I heard this 2 weeks ago...definitely happening now. Car warms up noise appears to go. Although this appears to be getting less and less.

Anyone know decent place in Melbourne for CV drive shafts. Since its a std 8th gen widebody I cannot even find CV axles for it!

Damn thing...jeez just past 3 years old @ 95K damn CV joints fail both at same time. Anyone help? Anyone have theirs fail in this time and replaced? I suspect they may be the same as the Euro as the brakes are the same?:confused:

stndrd
04-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Give me a buzz to organise a time to inspect the car and we can get it sorted out for you

brokenback
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks PM sent

bbk
30-07-2013, 01:02 PM
2008 Accord, 82Ks. Clicking started when turning in cold, couple of weeks after changing tyres!

I had it looked at, at Pedders today and they're telling me they can't find anything wrong with the car!

So was yours indeed the CV Joints?

brokenback
30-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Yep mine were CV's both sides. They were re-built and re-fitted (not by me), auto mechanics and CV place. Quite difficult to find replacement Honda CVs except maybe Chinese or USA sourced, so they rebuild them here. Honda changes their CV axle design a lot so the replacement industry has a difficult time keeping up.

I spoke with the mechanic, mentioning the tyres were just replaced and I thought the place had caused the CV damage. He said raising and lowering allows the suspension struts to fully extend and can change the CV cup seating which exacerbates them failing. He said they were probably on the way out but this hastened it all and he has heard of this before. Honda Accords and CV's...a known issue!

I suspect the tyre fitters are pretty uncaring & harsh on changing tyres (they also damaged one of my tyres). I suspect they just crash (let down) the jacks by slam opening the bleed valves, instead of letting it settle slowly (I saw them do this). I suspect this dumps the vehicle down on struts which are now at an angle to the pave which jam loads onto the CV cups and bearings in places it shouldn't.

Anyway FWIW, no recall on the tyre monkeys. Still that is all has gone wrong in 97,000klms so really I have no complaint.

bbk
30-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info, I suppose mine would be both sides too since it clicks both when turning left and right. I guess I have to wait for it to get worse so these guys can hear it too!

Only problem so far? Not a big one but maybe they have fixed the rear pads for your model, I had to replace them at 30Ks and 60Ks until they finally got it right with the 4th revision of the pads (I get them from states, too expensive here). A successful class action for the rear pads over there and Honda Australia reckon it is perfectly normal to replace pads so often.

bbk
30-07-2013, 02:37 PM
One more thing! Can I ask how much did it cost you?

brokenback
31-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Repair from mechanics...close to $1K (around $900'ish). Remember the mark-up along the food chain from the repair places to the installer. I suppose that's ok since you get back your OEM parts anyway I had enough of the clicking and it's now back to "as good as new" plus they were the only mechanics I trust.

Accord pads..yeah what a to do...just dump the OEM, too much grief, yeah Honda told me they fixed the rear pads as well...what a croc.... put in Bendix CT pads, last much longer. We had pads changed at 16K, 28K (warranty) then at 45K then I put in my own Bendix CT pads...much more progressive modulation on breaking (use anti-squeal on the pds and shims). I Replaced the front discs (slight shimmy under breaking) at 94,00klms. Easy job same as Accord Euro discs, just need a hammer to bed the large Philips screws holding the discs on and a spanner to crack the joint between these and the hub. Not difficult....just hammer home the driver into the screw head and crack the joint with a spanner on end of the screw driver. One of those "metal all the way thru" large Phillips screwdrivers is the go.

It's pretty shameful if replacement discs, DBA 2510, costs ( $75 + $8.95 order fee Supercheap auto) are par with getting your OEM discs machined! But that is the way it is.

Apart from brakes and Cv's it's be very good , though the shocks are really bad...meh...trade it in soon!

Rudy
01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Brokenback..just wondering if you can share which mechanic you went to ?

Thanks!

brokenback
02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Were out in the boonies...Lilydale. We went to Rodney's Mechanical Repairs Ringwood. (http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/rodneys-mechanical-repair-centre/ringwood)

I mainly trust them as I generally do most myself but jobs like this are beyond me and they have done good repairs for me before and have the ability to turnaround them quickly. They did ours in 1 day...dropped off in early am hrs finished by ~5.0pm ...oh and my Brothers son works there. I spoke with Rodney at length on the CVs and yes he knows all a bout them and has seen quite a few.