PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Teg Temp rissing and then drops???

LO_N_SXC
23-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi guys
I need some help in sourcing this problem, what happens is that I have just recently changed my Radiator like a few weeks ago, I also did a flush and toped it up with genuine Honda coolant and ever since then my engine temp shoots up when I come to a stop at the lights or in Trafic, then once I get moving the Temp Drops?????? or some times it don't go down at all????? could it be my Thermostat or wrong coolant????? maybe my thermo switch is playing up? :confused: Mang I'm confused?????

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Cheers

Alex

tinkerbell
23-03-2005, 12:07 PM
you didnt replace the thermostat?!?!?

how long did you bleed the system for???

JRC
23-03-2005, 01:41 PM
i think this depends on the driving that you do

for example if youre cruising at a constant speed.....low throttle a lot of cold air will be going into your system and thus the temp drops....

but if youre in the city and stop starting alot then the temp will rise cos theres not that much air going in....

if that is whats actually hapening with your car......

LO_N_SXC
23-03-2005, 02:02 PM
you didnt replace the thermostat?!?!?

how long did you bleed the system for???
I didn't change the thermostat and I don't how long it hasnt been changed for as for the bleeding I cheked the workshop manual and followed that!

LO_N_SXC
23-03-2005, 02:04 PM
i think this depends on the driving that you do

for example if youre cruising at a constant speed.....low throttle a lot of cold air will be going into your system and thus the temp drops....

but if youre in the city and stop starting alot then the temp will rise cos theres not that much air going in....

if that is whats actually hapening with your car......
well the thing is that it didn't use to do it before! but like Tinker says it could be the thermo?

edw-R
23-03-2005, 02:16 PM
When you are at traffic light, no cold air go through radiator. So, your water temp. raise.
When you are running your car at 60km/Hr with low rpm, more cold air will go through your radiator. So your water temp. decrease.
You can fit low temp water thermostate. It maybe improve your water temp. problem.

tinkerbell
23-03-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah - always replace the thermostat when flush/change the radiator :)

to do it now - it will only take about 1/2 hour + you can re-use the coolant as it is new.

a thermostat from autobarn or repco is about $25 ;)

make sure you bleed for about 15 minutes minimum, sometimes i jack the car up under the front cross-member to speed the process of getting all the air out of the system ;)

LO_N_SXC
23-03-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah - always replace the thermostat when flush/change the radiator :)

to do it now - it will only take about 1/2 hour + you can re-use the coolant as it is new.

a thermostat from autobarn or repco is about $25 ;)

make sure you bleed for about 15 minutes minimum, sometimes i jack the car up under the front cross-member to speed the process of getting all the air out of the system ;)
Oh cool sounds interesting!
thakns Dave!
I shall see if AutoBarn is still open by the time I get home later tonight!

BTW: where would I be able to get a low temp Thermostat? it don't sound like something I can get from a Repco or a Autobarn?

tinkerbell
23-03-2005, 03:58 PM
you do not need a low temp thermostat at all.

ECU-MAN
23-03-2005, 08:29 PM
mate I think you forgot to connet the two plugs ( bullet type ) to the thermo fan temp switch.

I recon your thermo fans arnt cutting in

majic777
23-03-2005, 11:42 PM
do the fans cut in when the temp goes up? do the fans work when you turn a/c on?

LO_N_SXC
24-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah both Fans work I made sure they did right after I fitted the Radiator in! I whent down to Technik Tuning in Melb and they said it's the Thermostat, they just told me to get a new one and it should be fine! I will get round to doing it this weekend.......

I just Hope bloody Autobarn has one in so I can get it done!

Cheers guys!

Alex

flipmods
24-03-2005, 09:49 AM
If your fan cuts in at the right time then it could be the problem I had...

Check your coolant level, cause mine was low and I didn't know so the temp switch wasn't in the coolant when I was still, so it was measuring the temperature of the steam in the system which is hotter than the coolant. But when you accelerate the pump runs harder and fills the section where the temp switch is and then measures the temp of the coolant rather than the steam and the gauge goes down.
Well thats just what happened to me, hope you figure it out.