PDA

View Full Version : what are the benefits of having 4.7 fd on a k24

hanzzi
06-04-2013, 12:58 PM
As the title states above just wanting to know the benefits of having it on a mildly moded Accord euro. What other parts are needed to install this in a k24 box. Would it be worth it for me to add an lsd at the same time?

curtis265
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Would be worth it IMO.

Only trade off is top speed (because we all do that..) and that you'd be cruising at a higher RPM on highways... (if that's what you're asking)

Also, as it's a relatively labour intensive job, i'd consider doing other thiings while the gearbox is off - perhaps flywheel/clutch if yours is aging?

Vvvtec
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
4.7fd will massively help accelration when paired with the K24. The gearing in the euro box is already pretty long, and combined with the stock 4.3fd it really makes it quiet sluggish.

Alternatively, if you had the cash, you could always try find a gearbox from the EuroR, it should have the correct mounting points for the euro? I dunno. That way you will score the best of everything, massively shorter ratios/4.7fd/oem lsd. That will make a HUGE improvement in performance.

EKVTIR-T
06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
more push me for in car @ same rpm

DreadAngel
06-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Down side is more shifting if you're not that great at shifting then it'll be a disadvantage to consider...

hanzzi
06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Also what LSD will suit the tranny thats not to expensive?

DreadAngel
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
You tracking or daily?

If you want less headache and less maintenance stick with the OEM Helical/Torsen [Forgot which one Honda's use]...

hanzzi
06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
You tracking or daily?

If you want less headache and less maintenance stick with the OEM Helical/Torsen [Forgot which one Honda's use]...

Its a daily with spirited driving. I've read some good things about wavetrac. Are they any good?

hanzzi
06-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Deleted double post.

DreadAngel
06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Wavetrac are an improved form of the Helical LSD you find in the Factory box =)

No experience with them no so can't comment..

chez00
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
either way with the LSD stick to a helical type for street, clutch type get too noisy. I've never had a wavetrac.

What you need for the mod:
4.7 FD
rear countershaft bearing (ball)
rear countershaft snap ring
shim*

and if you're doing LSD:
LSD
2x diff bearings
2x diff seals

This list IMO is the minimum. Some people might reuse the bearings but seriously why would you risk that, particularly when they've been pressed/pulled off. I'd also do the front countershaft bearing (needle) as a precaution. seals are also easy to replace while you're in there...

*Then it'd need to be shimmed, the one between 6th gear and the top bearing on the countershaft. You don't know what size you need until it's reassembled. Send me a PM if you need more help. Where are you?

Vvvtec
06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
either way with the LSD stick to a helical type for street, clutch type get too noisy. I've never had a wavetrac.

What you need for the mod:
4.7 FD
rear countershaft bearing (ball)
rear countershaft snap ring
shim*

and if you're doing LSD:
LSD
2x diff bearings
2x diff seals

This list IMO is the minimum. Some people might reuse the bearings but seriously why would you risk that, particularly when they've been pressed/pulled off. I'd also do the front countershaft bearing (needle) as a precaution. seals are also easy to replace while you're in there...

*Then it'd need to be shimmed, the one between 6th gear and the top bearing on the countershaft. You don't know what size you need until it's reassembled. Send me a PM if you need more help. Where are you?

Great post mate, need more guys like you!

chez00
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Cheers vvvtec! I forgot, to do this mod you need to change the front countershaft needle bearing I was talking about as the 4.7 shaft end is smaller diameter so you need the ep3 bearing. It fits the casing though so all good.

curtis265
07-04-2013, 11:35 AM
repped for that post