PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Fuel and temp gauges playing Houdini

Irish R
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Just happened after a start up the the other day the gauges were blank but came on after 10 minutes driving.
They were just barely visible at an angle but full clarity after the drive and have been fine since.
A one of glitch or a headache waiting to happen?

grifty
07-04-2013, 07:52 AM
try this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?49757-DIY-Got-a-honda-with-cluster-light-iffy-LOOK-IN-HERE-!

vtecprelly
08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
the fuel and temp gauge are known to go bad in these. there is a fix for it but it involves soldering and stuff. mine actually did it just before i brought it back on the road. but i had a spare to swap it out with

Irish R
08-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the tip,great if it is the dimmer and worth a go for the ease of the job.
It was gone blank yesterday again,seems to be after a 2+ day lying up as its fine when used constant.
The joys of getting old :)

ECU-MAN
10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
check the dimmer box for dry solder joints, then the gauge box

Gen 4 Dash repair link below for the cluster, just do it to the Fuel and Temp gauge instead if the dimmer box is OK

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?60850-DIY-92-96-Prelude-speedo-fix&highlight=prelude

Irish R
12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Much obliged ECU-MAN,just the gauges causing trouble,the rest is fine.
Any resolve for the clock going like a stopwatch on hot days?
Thinking it's just a soft seal on the Set dial that is sticking,not bothering me too much at the moment but in the summers peak its like a timing device :).

ECU-MAN
12-04-2013, 08:53 AM
yeah you will want to look for stuck buttons

Russ.
12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
My BB1 Prelude does the same, the fuel/temp will only slightly light up or sometimes not even turn on indefinitely.
I'm going to try the dimmer fix, hopefully that works.

Irish R
04-07-2013, 01:07 AM
So it has been a while and i finally got to take the dash apart and reflowed every solder joint on the pcb board and when it was reassembled it was still a little dim and i presume it will be blank tomorrow as it was only illuminated from been driven an hour before the work.
So i am hoping it is down to the dimmer switch but am not sure with the wires on the back,i have had a look at the link above and it doesn't resemble my wiring which is
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2175/7oo6.jpg
Thanks.

ECU-MAN
04-07-2013, 11:03 AM
reflow the solder on the PCB of the dimmer switch as well

Irish R
28-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Bit slow on the responding sorry,i did that too ECU-MAN,still the same problem..
Not as bad now as the coldness has eased slightly,stays on nearly all the time again,abit faint at the start but quick enough to come full contrast,and one sign the humidity is returning is my clock going stopwatch style,funny :).

gumbs
02-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I just bought a cheap 4th gen, do the temp senders in these ever die and get stuck? My digital temperature gauge is basically always at 1/2 way. When I bought it it was short about a L of coolant and the gauge still stayed where it should be.....

ECU-MAN
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
is it at half way when the engine is cold ?

gumbs
02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I've only had it a day and haven't tried it this morning, but after sitting for 3 hours it still started at half way. Does it have a massive dead spot in the middle? I would have preferred an analogue needle.