PDA

View Full Version : DC2 Type R engine rattles

10KRPM
23-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey all,

And yes i have done a search for this and didnt quite get the answer i needed. Basically ive just bought a type R a few days ago and just noticed today that it the engine rattles a bit when going up a slight incline. I live in brisbane and as anyone who lives there would know...its full of frigging hills

THe temp on the apexi hand controller said it was around 34degrees and the air fuel ratio was about the 14 mark. Revs were around the 3-4 thousand mark.

Car has done about 71thousand k's and im wondering if :
a: Its been tuned too close to the edge?
b: The engine is on its way out?

IF the engine needs a rebuild...how much am i looking at here? and would it be cheaper to just transplant another engine in it? say a jap spec HA22 engine?

Cheers
David

Speeder
23-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Could it be the engine mounts?

If not, I remmember on my brothers skyline, air fuel ratio was around 14 i think, and any higher it would start to knock.....

edw-R
23-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Too lean = danganous

IRI
23-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Are you trying to accelerate at low speed up a hill in 4th or 5th gear?

10KRPM
23-03-2005, 03:46 PM
not really...just taking it easy up 3rd gear...which considering how low the ratios are on the type r shouldnt be a problem? throttle was maybe 25%?

i think i might just get it retuned but then again...winter is just around the corner.

uetecu
23-03-2005, 04:25 PM
You being a new owner to a dc2R, you will hear every single going on in your engine, boot, suspension,roof, and everthing else attached to it.

Suss it out more and experiment more with gearing and rev's. It could be something really simple. Try not to stress out too much ;)

10KRPM
23-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Well i should of remembered this before but i did have the air con on while i was driving when those rattles were happening.

With the air con off....no rattles or anything this arvo when i drove it again. I think thats a sign that this engine is a bit worn. oh well....i bought it for cheap and whats the saying? you get what you paid for. :P

edw-R
23-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Did you see the knocking unit from the hand controller??

10KRPM
24-03-2005, 04:24 AM
yeah i had a look at the knocking reading on the hand controller and it had nothing. Im not too familiar with how it works but when the engine starts knocking its supposed to display a value right?

uetecu
24-03-2005, 09:41 AM
It sounds like the air con mounting brackets perhaps? you do get a lot of shaking/rattling noises with the air conditioning switched on.

edw-R
24-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Try to refill the air-con gas. I think it may solve your idle problem.

HONDATEC
24-03-2005, 12:59 PM
get rid of the apexi hand controler there is no use for it if the engine is standard.

10KRPM
24-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Ok this is what the car has

apexi power fc ecu
toda b spec cam
mugen valve springs
spoon head gasket
spoon cam pulley
earl's oil cooler
cusco oil catch can
exeddy circle plate clutch
mugen thermostate and switch
trust air filter in box but with CAI to front fender
RSR exhaust manifold
custom exhaust

I will get the car retuned as i dont know if the power fc is reading some sounds as knocks but there seems to be some degree of detonation being indicated and therefore to be on the safe side easier to get it retuned again.

As for the rattling sound.....i dont think its to do with the air con or anything loose in the engine bay. As you know the air con when turned on places a further load on the engine, soaking up a few kw's. Ive had a 86 celica sx before that rattled when you put it under throttle going up a hill....and this isnt flat to the floor throttle...just mild enough to get it up the hill without overrevving it. This to me is an indication of a worn engine.

Now is there a way i can freshen the engine up? or easier to just leave it as is and just replace it when it finally goes. I intend taking it to the track soon so maybe its better to get it rebuilt. i'll pm TODA au and see what adrian says.

Perry
24-03-2005, 05:51 PM
IF the engine needs a rebuild...how much am i looking at here? and would it be cheaper to just transplant another engine in it? say a jap spec HA22 engine?

getting a H22 in a integra is ok but the motor is quiet heavy

Jim80y
24-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Upgrade your valve springs, Mugen valve springs = ITR valve springs

itr025
24-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Upgrade your valve springs, Mugen valve springs = ITR valve springs

I've heard about that too, but on King motorsports (Mugen USA dealer), they recommend the use of Mugen Valve springs if you're going to use the Mugen N1 ECU...

I guess get Spoon or Toda items to be safe?! (if you're going to be revving close to 9k that is :D)

Jim80y
24-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Use Toda springs to be safe, not sure about the seat pressure of the spoon springs.

I think the Mugen valve springs are supposed to be used with GSRs/Vtirs

Sp3rMz
25-03-2005, 01:11 AM
I have a vibration/rattle too in my dc2r when i rev 3.5rpms+ towards the cam gear side of the engine bay.

one more chance
25-03-2005, 01:29 AM
is this the car previously known as REV29?
i would ask the previous owner about when the last tune was and what it was tuned for. u didnt pick up the noise when you test drove it?

iced
25-03-2005, 02:47 AM
kinda sounds like your cars engine is pinging.
or maybe even the valve seals are going

try better fuel.
perhaps some octane booster to see if it makes a difference

10KRPM
25-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Mugen valve springs no good eh.....

I didnt pick it up cos when i test drove it i was just full throttle everywhere...it also might be due to a bad batch of fuel? how are honda's with optimax? This only happened after i refuelled with optimax....but then again it didnt happen yesterday.

So many variables but i guess the best bet is to have it retuned and maybe change the valve springs as well. Do i need to change the retainers too?

10KRPM
25-03-2005, 07:33 AM
and spermz...ive listened to that wave file of yours and it sounds like an external thing.....tapping against something. lol i know thats probably very vague but compared to the sound i heard ...its quite different.

And according to the reciepts the owner had....it was tuned for best performance by APC.

edw-R
25-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Try to use toda valve spring instead of mugen one. andthen set the tapping, retune it. As I know, your engine is not the original one. You may check the engine the code. Australia model is B18C7.

10KRPM
25-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Checking the engine code to verfiy that it is a type R engine? The egnine no is B18C...no 7 though. Does the 7 denote a country code? eg australia? From what i can remember the engine went at about 50thousand ks and the guy had it rebuilt in hong kong?

Sorry not too cluey on things honda.....was a S15 nissan man before :P.

edw-R are you on the northside of brisbane ?

Jim80y
25-03-2005, 12:16 PM
B18C7 = AUSDM DC2R engine

No need to change retainers, just get the Toda springs and you will be fine

fly_vti
25-03-2005, 02:10 PM
could be the bearings.