PDA

View Full Version : Reliability - DC2 VTIR vs DC4 GSI?

mogley
08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi guys,

New poster here - done a search and seems to be no responses to this particular question.

I'm in the market for a new run-around car, I used to own an RX-8 and downsized to an old Civic EG Breeze I bought off a mate for peanuts.

The Civic is now on it's last legs and I've realised i want something with a bit more poke than a lawnmower and also basic features ie. air-con, power windows etc. Not after huge performance or anything to mod - just an A to B that is fun when I want it to be.

Looking to spend around $5-7k and the DC4 and DC2 seem to fit the bill. Have looked around at Civics but not a huge fan of hatches.

The only thing about the DC2 that i am concerned with is it will be hard to find one that hasn't been thrashed and whilst I'm OK with general wear and tear/maintenance that goes with a 20yr old sports car, I don't want to be fixing the car every weekend and the reason i sold the RX-8 is it was a huge money pit.

So in your opinion is the reliability of the DC2 far worse than the DC4?

I don't mind spending a little bit more than above budget to get myself a well-looked after DC2 but they're hard to come by.

:cool:

mogley
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Do you mean DC5? DC4's can be had <$5k (depending on kms etc).

integraR
08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
is a dc4 = four door?

curtis265
08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
They'd be equal in terms of reliailiby.. Just taht a dc2 is more likely to be abused. Both are equally likely to be neglected.

more food for thought
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?5136-Difference-between-DC2-and-DC4

Indie
09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
They'd be equal in terms of reliailiby.. Just taht a dc2 is more likely to be abused. Both are equally likely to be mistreated.

more food for thought
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?5136-Difference-between-DC2-and-DC4You actually differentiate between 'mistreatment' and 'abuse'?

curtis265
09-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah I do, however since you have picked up my careless mistake as our resident grammar troll, I will amend my post to read differently.

EKVTIR-T
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Dc5 better.....coz of year made

EKVTIR-T
09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
and reliability is no different regardless of dc2/4

RenzokukenJ
09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
what about a prelude? should be around the same amount of money, less likely to be thrashed as it seems the dc2 are more well known in the P plater community..

EKVTIR-T
09-04-2013, 06:45 PM
prelude harder to find parts and more expense

also has stigma as hairdressers/girls car

newpaddy3
09-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

New poster here - done a search and seems to be no responses to this particular question.

I'm in the market for a new run-around car, I used to own an RX-8 and downsized to an old Civic EG Breeze I bought off a mate for peanuts.

The Civic is now on it's last legs and I've realised i want something with a bit more poke than a lawnmower and also basic features ie. air-con, power windows etc. Not after huge performance or anything to mod - just an A to B that is fun when I want it to be.

Looking to spend around $5-7k and the DC4 and DC2 seem to fit the bill. Have looked around at Civics but not a huge fan of hatches.

The only thing about the DC2 that i am concerned with is it will be hard to find one that hasn't been thrashed and whilst I'm OK with general wear and tear/maintenance that goes with a 20yr old sports car, I don't want to be fixing the car every weekend and the reason i sold the RX-8 is it was a huge money pit.

So in your opinion is the reliability of the DC2 far worse than the DC4?

I don't mind spending a little bit more than above budget to get myself a well-looked after DC2 but they're hard to come by.

:cool:

I've had a DC4 for a few years now and haven't had it serviced or maintained other than topping up the oil (shhh don't tell anyone lol).

It's a tank.

newpaddy3
09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
prelude harder to find parts and more expense

also has stigma as hairdressers/girls car

Any Honda has this stigma depending who you ask.

1v1 fight me irl.

93Integra
09-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Go for something with service logs/books and with a decent service history (not in the last month to make it look good when they sell it).

Both should be reliable if treated well and maintained properly.

mogley
10-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks all.
Guess it comes down to whether the extra power is worth it all? I came from an rx8 which wasn't the quickest cat off the line but it made up for it by winding up to 10 million rpms and sounding like sex.
Is the dc2 a similar experience? I'm not after blistering speed just a bit of fun in a tidy compact sporty package that won't ruin my bank account.

Wondering if even the GSI is fun or maybe too underpowered?

93Integra
10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
The GSi should be roughly comparable to my DA9 with a few extra kilowatts. It's not amazingly quick but it surprises a few people. Just like your RX8 you'll find the low down torque is rubbish but it picks up nicely up higher.

curtis265
10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
I would call a dc4 underpowered. No vtec.

Good for turbo though.

dougie_504
10-04-2013, 12:32 PM
They'd be equal in terms of reliailiby.. Just taht a dc2 is more likely to be abused. Both are equally likely to be neglected.

more food for thought
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?5136-Difference-between-DC2-and-DC4

I agree with this. DC2 more likely to be abused by VTEC fanboy wankers. Both possibly mistreated.

Regardless, I'd still buy the DC2 if it was up to me, because I'm a bit of a VTEC fanboy wanker TBH...

curtis265
10-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I agree with this. DC2 more likely to be abused by VTEC fanboy wankers. Both possibly mistreated.

Regardless, I'd still buy the DC2 if it was up to me, because I'm a bit of a VTEC fanboy wanker TBH...

I agree. IMO a VTEC engine is what's iconic about owning a "sporty" Honda.

infurNOS
11-04-2013, 03:26 AM
No more spam or i will infract.

Evok
12-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Engines are all reliable from the start, just depends on how you drive it.
DC2 = Vti-r are a bit more powerful then a DC4 b18b2...Yet b18b2 you could find a healthier motor cause of the less km's it would of done.

You got to remember their old cars = worn rings etc, particular gear boxes.
Your better off buying a cheap clean vti-r with a worn engine and get it rebuilt lol....you'll pay roughly the same for a clean/low km vti-r (dc2)