PDA

View Full Version : pod air filter on a 1991 civic GL? (carby)

kiss
23-03-2005, 03:36 PM
hey just wanna know if its possible to chuck on a pod air filter on my 1991 civic GL?

stupid car.. bought it for 3180$, 231,500kms .. in shit condition.. oh well.. im broke as!

VTC-8OY
23-03-2005, 03:41 PM
welcome n congrats on ur first post! lol.. OFCOURSE it is possible to chuck it on.. easy!

kiss
23-03-2005, 03:44 PM
hahaha sorry i know nothign about cars.. hence why my parents stupidly bought that car with my money -_-;'
doesnt matter, the damage has been done..

my first problem was the radiator, but me and my dad changed it, we got the radiator off a 2door hatch civic, basically bought the whole front bar of a civic sedan..

and my dad put engine oil in the transmission fluid thingy.. does that stuff up the car??

bennjamin
23-03-2005, 04:22 PM
a pod filter cannot be fitted to a carbied civic - there is an internal ring filter inside a box , right above the carb/s themselve/s.

you can purchase an aftermarket replacement K+N filter element tho.

FUR30S
23-03-2005, 04:28 PM
If you take the stock air filter out of the box you can mount a pod at the inlet of the induction pipe easy.

DLO01
23-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Admitted I don't know much about this car, If I am picturing it right a pod directly fitted to the carby would interfear with the bonnet. Not to mention suck lots of hot air.

bennjamin
23-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Admitted I don't know much about this car, If I am picturing it right a pod directly fitted to the carby would interfear with the bonnet. Not to mention suck lots of hot air.

Correcto. Whether placed facing the firewall , or ontop of the engine it will not fit.
Also , Carbs rely on the airflow that a normal ring type filter provides...dont quote me , but it helps with atomization etc.

Whatver the real reason , a normal POD filter should not be used with a carbed vehicle. Stick with a replacement element !

Eclipsor
23-03-2005, 05:43 PM
instead of a pod. get a k&n replacement ring filter. Then you can play around with stuff like flipping the airbox lid. There are other options but they start to get a little more complicated. I have seen some people using ram type ones with good results. This involves removing the whole airbox and solonoids though. He made a custom plate to fit it aswell. Also, dual carb who has posted on here before used performance motorbike filters. Once again without the airbox. Let me know if you want more details.

lighty01
24-03-2005, 10:17 AM
u can put a pod on a carb civic.. but u need to get a pipe to attach to the heat box.. remove the extra piping off the box and unscrew it off the engine bay... attach the pipe to the heat box and put the pod on the end.. and PRESTO.. dun and dun.. u may want to remove the small plate inside the heat box so u get betta airflow.. also... if u want colder air.. just run a hose (like a vacuum hose or somthing) from the bumper to the pod.. i got a k&n pod on mine.. works like a charm.. hope this helps... umm ohh yeah.. take out the old filter in the box!!! .. i gues u could also flip the lid but i havnt tried dat yet.. i will though...

mojo the flashy monkey
24-03-2005, 11:10 PM
um it is do able but not worth the money ur better off saving for a engin conversion. what i used 2 do if just clean the box filter all the time made some diffrence and take the main pipe off gives u better throtel response :) mhe i just poot a d16 in my gl geting it back very soon from gpc :D so exited

garett
25-03-2005, 04:06 PM
the k and n filters are good too so just order one from auto shop and it will feel better
if you want a pod for the looks just put one under the bonnet for a laugh and keep the carbie filter connected

lighty01
25-03-2005, 04:13 PM
the k and n filters are good too so just order one from auto shop and it will feel better
if you want a pod for the looks just put one under the bonnet for a laugh and keep the carbie filter connected

umm.. if u keep the normal filter and put on a pod as well.. ur gonna restrict the air flow... BAD IDEA... :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

garett
26-03-2005, 10:27 PM
umm.. if u keep the normal filter and put on a pod as well.. ur gonna restrict the air flow... BAD IDEA... :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

I realised that, that is why I mentioned for looks not performance. Thanks for your concern

Uncouth
12-04-2005, 04:10 PM
hey just wanna know if its possible to chuck on a pod air filter on my 1991 civic GL?

You can get a pod filter piping done. some mechanics make custom piping for about 100 bucks. and for the filter, u can get either K&N or any aftermarket brands. and if you want it cheap, you can just get those 30 bucks filter.

where about are you?? I know of a shop in WA who does that. and so far, it seems this shop has done alot of piping for carby engines cos it was highly recommended by friends of mine.