PDA

View Full Version : New CRX Sunroof Panel Paint or Wrap???

corsa59
10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I have a brand new sunroof outer panel for my 2nd gen CRX. It is painted in black primer. Here is my question....

Do I get it painted in the original body colour, or do I get it wrapped in either flat black or carbon fibre wrap?

Painted will make it completely original, but will be more expensive (I am guessing).

Wrapping will be cheaper, and easier to organise.

What is the opinion? Should I paint or wrap? Will wrapping be less effective at preventing rust (remembering that the rust on these panels always occurs from the inside)? Will it look lame in flat black? Will it look better in body colour? Better resale value if painted?

Your opinions will be greatly valued.....

grifty
10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Get it sprayed properly to prevent rust, you spent the $$$ getting a brand new one, spend the extra $$$ from preventing it happening again.

Did you manage to get it from Honda USA?

EKVTIR-T
10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Professional painted for sure if the rest of the car is well kept and tidy

if the cars rough then just wrap it

EGc1v1c
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
wrapping is getting used more and more with car enthusiast - as stated above if the car is kept mint, then def paint it. if you are going for the carbon look with the lips all round and flush and interior all cb, then wrap it. nothing on my crx is wrapped, im not sold on the idea yet. for sunroof panel to be painted shouldn't cost more than $100-$150. unless u wan't them to take your sunroof off and put the freshly painted sunroof panel on...labour costs will be more.
out of curiosity how much did you get the sunroof panel for?

grifty
11-04-2013, 09:57 PM
wrapping is getting used more and more with car enthusiast - as stated above if the car is kept mint, then def paint it. if you are going for the carbon look with the lips all round and flush and interior all cb, then wrap it. nothing on my crx is wrapped, im not sold on the idea yet. for sunroof panel to be painted shouldn't cost more than $100-$150. unless u wan't them to take your sunroof off and put the freshly painted sunroof panel on...labour costs will be more.
out of curiosity how much did you get the sunroof panel for?

Still in stock, postage should be around the $100 mark

http://www.hondapartsdirect.com/parts-catalog/honda/crx/1989/2dr-si/kl5mt/interior-bumper/sliding-roof-1

I believe probably around $300 from Honda USA

corsa59
12-04-2013, 01:58 AM
I will take your advice and paint it in the original colour.

The USA site says they have them in stock, but when I ordered one, the reply came back that they were out of stock and discontinued. I must admit I didn't order from that site, I ordered from a Texas Honda dealer, but they are on the same network, and they still say they have stock...

As far as I know, I bought the last one in Aus from Honda through a brisbane dealer.

You don't want to know how much it was, it was horrendous.....

Ok, it cost me just under $650..... plus painting to come....

Seriously, I don't think paint or wrap will make any difference to rust, they rust from the inside. I am going to fill the inside with a rust inhibitor paint of some sort, any advice???

THE 2BSEEN
13-04-2013, 01:15 PM
There was a bloke on crx aus selling the for $600
Oem honda

pat88c
13-04-2013, 06:13 PM
paint it I say to see it if does come back again in your new steel sunroof

cheap option you could have gone was to get fiberglass with carbon fibre top coat sunroof panel from the Neverlands i
it cost cheaper than buy oem sunroof including shiping
I spare which I got which keeping for rainy day

dougie_504
16-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Paint it so it doesn't look crap and won't rust out. Terrible prone to rust those things...

corsa59
17-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Whilst I agree with you about the painting, the rust problem is NOT related to the outer surface. Every single sunroof panel I have seen rusted out has rusted out from the inside, NOT the outside. The moisture gets into the innards of the panel, and the rust grows on the untreated (or improperly treated) steel inside the seams and joins. You only know when you have rust when it is too late. My sunroof panel has 10 or so tiny bubbles on the paint surface, but I know the rust inside the panel is severe to get that far.

Having said that, all steel sunroof areas are very prone to rust, my 1997 Prelude VtiR had rust in the sunroof area after 4 years. It did have a moon (glass) panel, but the area around the frame started to rust very quickly. I owned it from new, it was kept under cover, I was not impressed. The CRX panel has done pretty well considering it is 22 years old!

A proper coating of rust prevention on the inside and outside, and a skin of any nature on the outside, whether it be paint or vinyl would well equally well.

It is down the paintshop now being painted factory colour.

THE 2BSEEN
23-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Carbon Fibre sun roof is the way to go

you will never get rust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-HONDA-CRX-CARBON-FIBER-SUNROOF-SUN-ROOF-PANEL-CS1-/230770686791?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bb013b47&vxp=mtr