PDA

View Full Version : Gates low temp thermostat??

djt
12-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Hey, in need of a low temp thermostat and came past these. Has anybody ever used these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-B16-B18-ENGINE-GATES-RACING-LOW-TEMP-THERMOSTAT-/260711197434?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item3cb3992afa

Being a famous brand im sure they do the job better than OEM just wanna know if anyone used em.

Thanks

Daveho1
12-04-2013, 05:39 AM
nope. the general consensus is with hondas you dont want to use anything other then oem thermostats, even on a track car the most a low temp thermostat will do is get you an extra lap maby 2 but that means the cars not at its correct operating temp. if you are having cooling issues you are better off acctualy addresing them rather then cheaping out. i.e bigger radiator, better fans,50/50 coolant mix etc.
on a side note the when the majority of aftermarket thermostats fail the lock closed causeing a big problem as you can imagin ( i have seen this several times) where as the honda oem thermostats i would say 85% of the time lock open. the thermostat is there to control your engines operating temp, why do you think you need it to run cooler?

Limbo
12-04-2013, 09:39 AM
i used it. Worked fine on the track, but when you look at the size you will find the hole for water in the gates is smaller than the OEM one.

You can buy earlier opening OEM ones. The quality is better than the gates racing ones.
You only need the lower opening one when your running alot of heat like on boosted setups.
Even then i didn't notice any difference.

N/A no real need even at track.
Get a oil cooler or alloy radiator if your having problems with heat, they work alot better