PDA

View Full Version : Del sol owners, help!

McDognalds
13-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey guys. I'm currently strongly considering getting a Del Sol. I was wondering if they were hard to maintain? In terms of sourcing parts? (Coilovers, oem parts etc)

Honestly, I reckon they look pretty average bone stock, but with abit of bolt ons would look good.

What are the cons?
Note: 2 seater would not bother me

BG-33P
13-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Parts are easy to find. Just look for eg civic or dc Integra parts. Only trouble I've had is finding specific del sol parts. There's few at the wrecker's and Honda don't carry some things anymore.

they're just as easy as any other Honda to maintain apart from some extra care on the roof rubbers. The roof is adjustable but once its right it'll be good for ages.

dougie_504
16-04-2013, 01:27 AM
^Agreed. Very easy to source parts and very underrated car IMO. Fun to drive for sure, cheap thrill.

Personally I don't like the front-end look but everything else about the car I reckon is cool. Just be sure to get one with good rubber seals around the targa top as they can be prone to leaking. Make sure the engine is healthy and look for common B-series oil leaks (VTEC solenoid, head gasket, cam seal etc).

dc292177917
23-04-2013, 03:26 AM
the specific parts will be...
body panels
seat rail (commonly questioned)
mechanically it shares 99% of parts with EG6
u can check out my threads for leak fixing
just get a set of coilovers of about F7kg R4kg rate
front and rear sway bar from JDM 98 DC2
it goes like a go kart

dougie_504
23-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Bit soft isn't it? At least 8kg/6kg surely?

Snoop_gee
23-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Okay having owned two del sol's
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/crxmelbourne/crew/album645/delsol/fotoshoot/DSC02860+copy.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/265086-2/DSC02860+copy.jpg

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/265095-2/DSC02871+copy.jpg

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/265092-2/DSC02863+copy.jpg

There isnt really any con's with suspension, brakes and b16 engine.
Because they are readily available and can be used with some other parts from the EG Civic, DC2 integra also.

But the exterior panels and interior those that are very specific to del sol's will be a tough ask. Dont let that scare off thou.

Weird technique before buying is to ask current owner and get the okay before filling a bucket of water and throwing it on the roof with the targa roof on obviously :D. LOL

Actually see if it leaks there are many ways to fixing this ranging from cheap and nasty silicone right thru from getting it done right prim and proper with $$$$ OEM seals from Honda.

I liked it for the fact its was very good on fuel being a stock b16a which is short sharp and punchy for the city communte.

infurNOS
23-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Also check to see if the drivers seat rocks back and forth

BG-33P
23-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Don't be put off by any comments about the roof leaking. The latches have quite alot of adjustment, both on the roof and body side, and its common for the 'A' shaped section of the window to deform and needs to be bent back slightly to help hold the window against the rubbers.

I've owned two sols over an 8 year period and any of the del sol specific maintenance hasn't been an issue at all.

Don't forget that these cars are almost 20 years old now so its going to be common to have to fix a few things up when you first buy one, even if the seller says that its in 'mint' condition.

THE 2BSEEN
23-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I bought a delsol in December.
It has front end damage so towed it home. parked haven't touched it since
Might check for leaks but think I'm good.
Where is best place to shop for panels

dc292177917
23-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I bought a delsol in December.
It has front end damage so towed it home. parked haven't touched it since
Might check for leaks but think I'm good.
Where is best place to shop for panels

if yr rad support is fked then its very hard to find one
if just panels u can get them from japan cheaply
i might be selling my front bar soon if u r keen

dc292177917
23-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Bit soft isn't it? At least 8kg/6kg surely?

8/6 will be good if u dont do the sway bar upgrade
7/4 with 25/23 swaybar will be more comfortable without too much body roll
but anyway, i m running 10/6 with DC2R sway bar lol
it handles like a charm but imo a bit to stiff for city driving
just my 2c

THE 2BSEEN
24-04-2013, 08:38 AM
if yr rad support is fked then its very hard to find one
if just panels u can get them from japan cheaply
i might be selling my front bar soon if u r keen

Yeah mate send me a price an a pic

theory
24-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Everything said above about the seats rocking back and oil leaks have happened to my Del Sol as we speak. I stripped the interior last week to find an oil leak under my dash. Although, the car is awesome; can't wait to get it back on the road!

dougie_504
24-04-2013, 02:03 PM
8/6 will be good if u dont do the sway bar upgrade
7/4 with 25/23 swaybar will be more comfortable without too much body roll
but anyway, i m running 10/6 with DC2R sway bar lol
it handles like a charm but imo a bit to stiff for city driving
just my 2c

Yeah can't say I've been in a coil'd del sol but I'm running 8/6 with 23rsb on my eh9. Feels great on the road IMO.

Just remember though that at this age the car's RTA bushes are likely a but worn. Swapping those over to new ones/performance ones also makes a big difference.

BG-33P
24-04-2013, 02:23 PM
on my first sol i had coils that were 10+ spring rate with energy suspension bushes and it was far too stiff to drive through the city. I had the stiff springs well before the bushes, and i definitely felt a difference when i put the new bushes in.

New bushes > 20yo rubber :thumbsup:

z3lda
24-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Only get the 95+ model Del Sols. The interiors on the ones prior are sh!thouse. Ugly non clothed rubbery trim seats, black and grey plastic trims. etc, etc. Feral

Also the B16 is piss weak for such a heavy car. Upgrade the engine. Get a b18 long block and swap it out, overnight job. keep the b16 box though.

Brakes are crap as well. Upgrade the fronts to 282mm rotors and bb4 prelude calipers. 10min direct bolt on job.