PDA

View Full Version : NSW Transfering an interstate car into my name

tiksie
14-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a vehicle from SA (I'm from NSW) and I was wondering if I could just transfer the car into my name in SA ? Or must I do it in NSW since my license/address is in NSW ?

The car has 3 months rego and I don't want to go through cancelling rego/blue slipping and renewing rego for a year as I'd rather use up the 3 months it has on it and do all of that then.

Tried searching on RTA and SA transport travel and motoring but couldn't find any info.

Thanks!

gach2
14-04-2013, 03:47 PM
According to RTA you have 3 months to transfer the rego, so you could drive for 3 months with SA plates and then blueslip and rego in NSW.

You cant transfer the car in SA unless you have a garage address in SA. I dont think you need to be an actual resident of SA to create a SA transport account ( I know VIC and QLD do that way and its common for businesses to do this)

tiksie
14-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah I had assumed since the location of the vehicle won't be in SA since I'll be using my NSW drivers license.

So I can just make a SA transport account using my NSW address and transfer rego into my name that way ?

gach2
21-04-2013, 02:15 PM
i dont think you can transfer the rego, but you can create an account which allows SA to refund the remaining rego when u cancel it

gach2
21-04-2013, 02:17 PM
the only way you could transfer the rego into your name is if you have a garaging address in SA