PDA

View Full Version : just got a 94 lude, H22a ?

niall
15-04-2013, 09:00 PM
hi guys, im new to preludes but not hondas, ive recently aquired a 94 prelude, auto, jap import and the build plate says H22a motor.

This is the good one right ? this car is fairly original so it looks grandma spec, i havent driven it yet, but im guessing its going to haul ass.

Is this a semi rare model? wolf in sheeps clothing ?

EKVTIR-T
15-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Kind of rare being jdm but not in great demand

They go ok but nothing to write home about

and yes the h22a is the better motor

curtis265
15-04-2013, 09:39 PM
a sheep in wolf's clothing until you change the final drive lol

niall
15-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Haha thanks for the replies lads. So a decent motor but with a auto and rubbish diff gears I'm not gonna be winning any races

It's just for the misses daily anyway. Not supposed to modify this one !!!

vtecprelly
13-05-2013, 12:24 PM
what does the stamp say on the block?
if its h22a(1/2/3/4) its a normal h22a (aus delivered blah blah)
if its just h22a (no numbers after it) it is the JDM motor. so it has bigger cams, higher compression and some other things from memory.

good motors :) i have a jdm h22a and it goes nicely. does what i need it to do :)

curtis265
13-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Where does everyone seem to be getting these jdm h22's from anyway

EKVTIR-T
13-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Where does everyone seem to be getting these jdm h22's from anywayovernight parts from Japan

curtis265
13-05-2013, 12:34 PM
overnight parts from alibaba
thanks

Jasemas
13-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Curtis while you're getting one shipped
Mines getting me one too?
Save on shipping ahuh ahuh

niall
18-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi again guys, so ive got this prelude registered. Love teh car, just what i want for a daily. So smooth to drive.

The only thing im not 100% happy with is the performance, i know its still a 4cyl n/a im not looking for a weapon, and i know the auto makes them feel a bit more soggy, but this is the H22A supposed to be 197hp, Lsd and everything but it feels more like 13-hp, i can feel it coming on the cam at around 5k and pulls cleanly to the redline, no surging etc but its just not exciting.

Im thinking it may have a semi blocked exhaust, it looks all original and 260k on the clock.

Do you guys think i am expecting too much, or are there common problems for lack of power on htese cars?

Jasemas
18-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Well for starters
Have you done a service/tune up recently?
Oil, oil filter, spark leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap, air filter, fuel flter, transmission fluid, battery, throttle body clean, radiator flush

Once you have done them
Then have a look at other options
Why not try doing a compression test to see if your getting power across all cylinders
And if you want to accelerate harder, do it in D3 as that gets you the best acceleration without locking up the torque converter
Good luck

EGVTi
18-05-2013, 10:59 PM
It's not the car, it's the granny shifting box and torque converter.

The only thing im not 100% happy with is the performance, i know its still a 4cyl n/a im not looking for a weapon, and i know the auto makes them feel a bit more soggy, but this is the H22A supposed to be 197hp, Lsd and everything but it feels more like 13-hp, i can feel it coming on the cam at around 5k and pulls cleanly to the redline, no surging etc but its just not exciting.

Im thinking it may have a semi blocked exhaust, it looks all original and 260k on the clock.

Do you guys think i am expecting too much, or are there common problems for lack of power on htese cars?

niall
21-05-2013, 06:01 PM
For some reason it doesnt perform properly in D4, like the VTEC doesnt work? but in D3 or manually holding gears in goes great and really flies when it hits 5k RPM. Thanks all who replied to this thread.

I agree with popular opinion now, great motor, rubbish gearbox

zedries
24-05-2013, 04:37 PM
The problem is your sludgebox mate.

Get rid of it and you will feel the POWA!

I have a similar problem in my JDM lude...