PDA

View Full Version : New 2013 Accord - same old 5A plus less power *yawn*

Honda_Boi
19-04-2013, 09:26 AM
If the new Thailand specs are anything to go by, the new 2013 Accord (due for release next month), will have the same old 5-speed automatic instead of the new CVT that the US gets. To make matters worse, the new "Earth Dreams" 2.4L engine puts out less power (128 kW) than the current 2.4L engine (136 kW). Again, the US model puts out more power than this (138-142 kW depending on spec).

The colour choice drops from the current 6 down to just 5, and includes Crystal Black, Modern Steel, Champagne Frost, White Orchid, and Alabaster Silver.

Fredoops
19-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Lol ****en fail....

Rudy
19-04-2013, 11:04 AM
that would suck if the case ...still get the 6AT on the v6 though :) That would be the pick

Jasemas
19-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Who buys the NA Accord
JDM Euro is where it's at

Fredoops
19-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Who buys the NA Accord

There might not be a JDM euro

Rudy
20-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Who buys the NA Accord

v6 yes, i4 no!

Jasemas
20-04-2013, 08:19 AM
There might not be a JDM euro

Will this mean Euro's will go up in resale value lol

SPQR
20-04-2013, 01:27 PM
that would suck if the case ...still get the 6AT on the v6 though :) That would be the pick

No V6 on the Honda Thailand website. Can't see them making a V6 just for Australia given how few they sell in OZ anyway. I was considering a new model V6 Accord but if not available, then other brands now come into play with me.

I4's with less power than USA versions... Even greater fail but they rely on the average mug not knowing any better. Again, I can't see Honda Thailand making uprated power versions just for Australia.

JDM/European Accord has been confirmed by Honda. They're working on it. But for such a large and long car, rear leg room in the current CU2 is very very very poor. Even my six-year-old tells me that my next car must have more room!

Anyone hoping for a diesel salvation for the Euro might be disappointed. The 2.2 litre Honda diesel has uncompetitive power and torque of 110kw and 350Nm respectively. Compare that with Peugeot at 150kW and 450Nm. What's wrong Honda?

Honda OZ on it's way down-down-down to oblivion...

Rudy
20-04-2013, 02:51 PM
hmm interesting...what a let down :( Not that I really like the way the 9th gen looks anyhow or would consider one, but still.

Fredoops
20-04-2013, 05:26 PM
They've 'confirmed' the European accord but they didnt specify just how different it would be from the USDM accord

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/honda-releases-european-and-russian-accord-sketches-49026.html
^^^^ this is a interesting article.

Jasemas
20-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd rather an I4 over a V6 any day really
Not to mention the shabby transmissions plaguing Honda

The rear looks like a BMW

ChaosMaster
20-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Honda pretty much died 10 years ago. I mean name one car that's been released in the past 10 years that is truly revolutionary or anything of the sort. I think they've spent most of their remaining cash on the latest CRV and are praying it picks up because there's really nothing in their range currently that is anything special.

Jasemas
20-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Honda pretty much died 10 years ago. I mean name one car that's been released in the past 10 years that is truly revolutionary or anything of the sort. I think they've spent most of their remaining cash on the latest CRV and are praying it picks up because there's really nothing in their range currently that is anything special.

x1000
What happened to the small nimble cars
With the power to weight ratio to boot?
They've catered for the U.S which has trickled down to the Oz buyers
Too big and heavy, V6's and just plain boring design

Rudy
21-04-2013, 10:51 AM
v6 automatic transmission problem aren't an issue since the 7th and above gens. If im gonna get a car as big as the accord or cu2 (pretty much the same size now), I want at least a turbo 4 or v6!

Fredoops
21-04-2013, 12:25 PM
v6 automatic transmission problem aren't an issue since the 7th and above gens. If im gonna get a car as big as the accord or cu2 (pretty much the same size now), I want at least a turbo 4 or v6!

Iirc honda halved the service interval of the fluid change to every 40 or 60k instead of 100

SPQR
22-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Maybe Honda Thailand will make the 140kW 2.4L I4 for Australia given that they make it for CR-V sold in Australia despite them only selling the 125kW 2.4 I4 in Thailand. And maybe they will make the V6 for Australia even though they no longer sell the V6 in Thailand.

The new Accord (Inspire) still not on sale in Japan and the JDM Accord (Euro) is no longer on sale in Japan and hasn't been for a few months now.

stylz81
22-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Ive been recently looking into upgrading my Civic to an Accord and found this Article which may be of interest - http://www.caradvice.com.au/honda/accord/

Fredoops
22-04-2013, 06:34 PM
A Dealer in melb recently sold a demo Seppo accord auto for $24 grand.

Beats buying a civic at that price IMO.

Rudy
24-04-2013, 06:19 PM
https://newaccord.honda.com.au/default.aspx

v6 confirmed!

Fredoops
24-04-2013, 07:40 PM
https://newaccord.honda.com.au/default.aspx

v6 confirmed!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3a141322e135050b38d76c23291c60f8/tumblr_ml8sx7i0hz1r4lywro1_400.jpg

Jasemas
24-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Probably the same V6 since '98

Rudy
24-04-2013, 08:04 PM
5.7 second 0-60mph from the V6 6AT tested in the US (its been out there since late last year).

walktexranga
25-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Who buys an accord US/euro expecting a fast car? its a loungeroom on wheels, probly focusing on fuel economy etc hence power loss for the 4..

As for cars sucking these days its all thanks to safety and demand for leg room, bring back 1000kg hot hatches :)

SPQR
25-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Hooray for leg room! 0-60mph in 5.7sec is pretty quick.

walktexranga
25-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Hooray for leg room! 0-60mph in 5.7sec is pretty quick.

U rkn that's what oz will get? Is that the accord (non euro)? They r ugly. Give the euro that engine and it can take on the Passat.

SPQR
28-04-2013, 09:32 PM
U.....Give the euro that engine and it can take on the Passat.

That engine, or its direct relative, lives in the Acura TSX (CU2 Euro) in the USA. Passat's in a different price range to the Accord and Accord Euro.

walktexranga
29-04-2013, 09:15 AM
That engine, or its direct relative, lives in the Acura TSX (CU2 Euro) in the USA. Passat's in a different price range to the Accord and Accord Euro.

Who cares about price, If a euro did 0-100 in 5.7 it'd be in Passat territory and we can stop comparing to Audi a4.

Ah well won't happen.

Jasemas
29-04-2013, 12:01 PM
They're two different cars
Two different audiences
where one fails in one category the other makes up in the same category
I'd rather a jap car over a European car any day

SPQR
08-05-2013, 05:21 AM
I just got an email with the new pricing: The made-in-Thailand basic model 4-cylinder is $33,990 which is about $2,000 more than the Accord V6 Touring made in America. The V6 Touring is the most expensive version sold in America. The only V6 model to be sold in Australia starts at over $55,000 which is $11,000 more than the superseded model and $23,000 more than what it costs in the America (172% more expensive). Honda Australia must be very poor at negotiating international supply deals or they are just plain disdainful of Aussies.

ChaosMaster
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/new-car-reviews/first-drive-review-honda-accord-20130507-2j57k.html

Not the best of reviews but some indication.

In a time when all the other car manufacturer's are looking to reduce weight, Honda goes the opposite direct. Sigh. 1.7t with a less powerful I4 and the same flawed 5AT, dear god, I wonder how long Honda will last. To be honest, I'm hoping Honda doesn't release a new Euro. No seriously, I don't want to see the Euro name plate tarnished. From what I've seen from Honda, the next gen Euro will prob be heavier (1.6t at least) and will carry over the same drive train, one that has been in the Euro since 2003... if that's not a recipe for failure then god knows what is.

denot
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Caradvice fist drive review:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/229802/honda-accord-review-2013/

Not a great result, but the ADAS sounds promissing

Fredoops
08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
In a time when all the other car manufacturer's are looking to reduce weight, Honda goes the opposite direct. Sigh. 1.7t with a less powerful I4 and the same flawed 5AT, dear god, .

Dear Honda

FK.YOU.

Regards,
Fredoops

EDIT
the V6 gets a 6 speed (aka the Honda Legend Tranny)

Jasemas
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013_Accord_VTI_L_ADAS_55-625x416.jpg
look at that boys
No headers

ChaosMaster
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Dear Honda

FK.YOU.

Regards,
Fredoops

EDIT
the V6 gets a 6 speed (aka the Honda Legend Tranny)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Freedoops again. But serious, email Honda this. The V6 is definetly a good unit, but I'll say the 6 speed tranny is still behind everyone else. I mean I've tried bad (think 3.0 VE SIDI with 6 AT, god that thing was dumb, was going up a slight hill at 100km/h, 6th didn't have enough power, so it went to 5th but then it thought rpm was too high so would go back into 6th and keep doing that for the next 20km), I won't call the Honda one worse, but it's far from the best. Both the FG and Aurion's 6 speeders crap over it.

Fredoops
08-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Youd better of with a commodore.

/thread

SPQR
08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Sent Honda Australia an email last night: Base model four cylinder is more expensive than top model V6 in USA. No reply of course. Missed that the new 4 cylinder has less power than outgoing model and 20kW (!!!) less than in USA. Maybe we need to mount a sustained attack on the cardigan wearing morons.

Rudy
09-05-2013, 12:34 AM
No point comparing to US..everything is cheaper there..they only pay about 60k for their AMGs. But it's a valid point to compare it to outgoing aus model prices. current gen v6-L was a lot more than 44k when it came out though. It was like 49 ish or slightly above on road. So it's not really an 11k difference. Most likely, when sales slump, new gen prices will be dropped significantly like they did with current model.

No issues with late model trannies at all. Maybe you're thinking back to the 6th gen, but I can tell you havn't driven a Honda v6. The old mans 7th gen 3.0 has oodles of bottom end grunt. Much more responsive than even the current model 328i I drove and E320s etc. I don't think Honda needed to go above 3.0. That car had the right balance.

mrgu
09-05-2013, 12:49 AM
51000 drive away for V6-L with 6 speed

What's the point of buying this car?

51000 drive away = Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado diesel with sunroof or leather seats

Rudy
09-05-2013, 01:16 AM
hmm... I just couldn't pay that much for american quality.

Fredoops
09-05-2013, 01:56 AM
hmm... I just couldn't pay that much for american quality.

I wouldn't pay 50 grand for a Thai made Honda accord either.

You'd be better off with a Aurion Pesara.

The new Commodore Calais is only 40 grand..... And the V8 SS-V (the lux version) is only $45 K

A Caprice is $59,990......

Rudy
09-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Neither would I...wasnt trying to defend the accord, my bad.

Jasemas
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I'd pay $50k for a new Euro and a few more mods
it seems ever since the 90's Honda's pricing of the accord hasn't changed much
Maybe it's cheaper than the 90's - due to inflation and what not
but paying over $40k for a 'new' car on the same old chassis as the previous gen doesn't do it for me
As a few people said before you can get a camry, i mean Aurion or commonwhore with all the features for that price
Honda has really lost its way

denot
09-05-2013, 03:05 PM

You'd be better off with a Aurion Pesara.

I wouldnt pay that much for a rebadge Camry either... :p

Sadly we still doesnt know the future of Accord Euro. Yes HA said they will still sell both here, but they didnt mentioned anything about will there be a new model for Euro or not. Even Honda Japan has removed Accord Euro (like Civic) from their website...

Note: just realised I've paid that amount for my CX9 GT and the previous C class... I wouldnt pay that much for both either... lol :thumbdwn:

ChaosMaster
09-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I wouldnt pay that much for a rebadge Camry either... :p

Sadly we still doesnt know the future of Accord Euro. Yes HA said they will still sell both here, but they didnt mentioned anything about will there be a new model for Euro or not. Even Honda Japan has removed Accord Euro (like Civic) from their website...

Note: just realised I've paid that amount for my CX9 GT and the previous C class... I wouldnt pay that much for both either... lol :thumbdwn:

While I understand where you're coming from, I can't agree with you when you say an Aurion is a rebadged Camry. While's true, it's like saying the Euro is a rebadged Accord, which in itself is true, but both are very different cars.

denot
09-05-2013, 04:15 PM
While I understand where you're coming from, I can't agree with you when you say an Aurion is a rebadged Camry. While's true, it's like saying the Euro is a rebadged Accord, which in itself is true, but both are very different cars.

Hahaha it just that I have a friend whose dad asked him to buy a camry before he can move with my friend in Australia. but by the time he got here, he look at the camry my friend bought and say "WTF is this shit??? I asked you to buy a camry, what the heck is this?" LOL

And I agree with calling the Euro as "Accord" and our thai accord as "inspire"... calling the cu2 accord euro is just doesnt make sense... "an Accord that made in Japan but with Euro badge"

Or maybe we can call the Thai built Accord as "Thaicord"?

Fredoops
09-05-2013, 04:43 PM
And I agree with calling the Euro as "Accord" and our thai accord as "insight"... calling the cu2 accord euro is just doesnt make sense... "an Accord that made in Japan but with Euro badge"

Or maybe we can call the Thai built Accord as "Thaicord"?

Insight?

You mean Inspire right?

denot
09-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Insight?

You mean Inspire right?

gaaah you beat me too it... :( I've edited my post after yours :p

Rudy
09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
whats wrong with thai build quality anyway? That is only where it's assembled. I havn't heard any real life complaints or issues. Not like detroit churning out crap for the last 40 years, which is a REAL stigma to overcome. The Cord is just too expensive. Whether it was assembled in Japan or not, wouldn't change that.

Fredoops
10-05-2013, 12:29 AM
because even honda themselves know it's not good as japan

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/220E759651618FF5CA2577850024B9C7

it IS better than the US factory (slightly) however US cars got more goodies.

Oh btw.

Boot capacity is listed as 457 litres for the new Accord.
Thats less than a Nissan Pulsar.

ChaosMaster
10-05-2013, 10:09 AM
whats wrong with thai build quality anyway? That is only where it's assembled. I havn't heard any real life complaints or issues. Not like detroit churning out crap for the last 40 years, which is a REAL stigma to overcome. The Cord is just too expensive. Whether it was assembled in Japan or not, wouldn't change that.

Nothing specifically wrong with Thai built cars. It's just the fit and finish isn't to the same standards as with cars built in Japan. The problem is though, that the reason one would get a Thai built car over a Japanese built car is because of price (free-trade agreement and lower operating cost), however, looking at the new Accord, it's pricing is sky high and yet it's underpinnings is decade old. When you can get Japanese built cars of similar specs for similar or less (talking about the Euro here), then why would you bother with Thai built?

Fredoops
10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
The v6's consumption is likely to be worse than the Holden commodore.... 9.2 vs 8.7 combined.

Rudy
10-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Euro - 8.7 combined from an NA 4 cyl! , with 95 RON! That's about same combined fuel cost as the new v6 accord, without the performance. They need to make substantial improvements for the next euro imo. And give it more leg room. You can only fit 2 standard sized adults comfortably. For a big heavy car, that's not acceptable!

That article is interesting...

"According to spokesman Mark Higgins, there have been no complaints or negative comments from owners of Thai-built Hondas"

That's the important measure. Actual buyers/owners of the cars seem to be happy :) No mention of any quality issues of the actual finished product that reaches our shores.

SPQR
10-05-2013, 07:08 PM
..And give it more leg room. You can only fit 2 standard sized adults comfortably. For a big heavy car, that's not acceptable!

Agree. As I've said before, even my young child complains about the lack of legroom in the Euro.

I got a reply from Honda on the new Accord pricing. Apparently it's Australian Government taxes, regulations and tariffs that "influence" the price of their cars.

What rot! 0% Australian tariff rate for Thai built cars and the labour costs are even less than the USA. The last I checked, the USA has taxes and onerous regulations too.

More like pick a number and see if the mugs will buy it.

denot
13-05-2013, 03:34 PM
More like pick a number and see if the mugs will buy it.

Exactly SPQR... If curently all mid to large car sold well around $30k price tag, why would you want to sell it at $25k and get less profit?

The only time I can see our car price will go down if EVERY ONE protest and stop buying new car. Which, I cant see it happens anytime soon :p

ChaosMaster
14-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Exactly SPQR... If curently all mid to large car sold well around $30k price tag, why would you want to sell it at $25k and get less profit?

The only time I can see our car price will go down if EVERY ONE protest and stop buying new car. Which, I cant see it happens anytime soon :p

+1. Honda isn't the only one doing this though. With the previous gen Mazda 6, the price dropped $3k across the range after about 3 months of being on the market. The CU2 may have had something to do with it though.... however if they could have done that to begin with, they should have. One of the reason's I didn't get a Mazda 6 was because of the pricing, and you know what, I'm happier with the CL9 anyways.

Fredoops
14-05-2013, 12:22 PM
One of the reason's I didn't get a Mazda 6 was because of the pricing, and you know what, I'm happier with the CL9 anyways.

Back in 2003 we didnt get the Mazda because 125kw vs 140kw.

ChaosMaster
15-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Back in 2003 we didnt get the Mazda because 125kw vs 140kw.

Yeah, but when I got my CL9 it was in 2008, and the new Mazda 6 had just come out, where as the CU2 was only about to, so the CL9 was end of line. Was questioning the end of line part, as I didn't really like the CU2's look. Which was why I was looking at the 6.

UNLS1
25-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Have a drive of the new accord 4 cly. Cant tell it has less power, can tell has more torque down low so it feels quicker than the old model.

Fredoops
25-05-2013, 05:16 PM
It's still the cut cost developing country version Hondas trying to flog here... At a premium no less.

While the Japanese will get the USDM version as their Inspire as usual

Poor form.

The more torque is from the "lightened pumping" losses stem from the "earth dreams" design

A combo of low viscosity oil and whats the equivalent of lightened pulleys

Rudy
25-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Have a drive of the new accord 4 cly. Cant tell it has less power, can tell has more torque down low so it feels quicker than the old model.

nice, thanks for the feedback..torque is what counts in these big cars!

denot
27-05-2013, 02:08 PM
...While the Japanese will get the USDM version as their Inspire as usual...

Actually... Japanese will NOT get any Accord nor Inspire for now... Well at least this was quoted on Inspire wiki page:

"September 2012, at the end of the fifth generations production, the Inspire was no longer offered in Japan after 23 years."

Also, there's no Inspire, Accord or Civic in http://www.honda.co.jp/auto/

Fredoops
27-05-2013, 03:22 PM
been digging around Honda media release sites

Not even a spit of the next accord euro.

the lack of motor show appearances tells me it's quite possible they've just started designed the next euro... or they canned the idea altogether and is trying to come up with a gap filler.

EDIT

maybe we'd get the Honda CRIDER as our next euro? lol it's mid size and stem form the concept C last year.
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Honda-Crider_2014_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/honda-eyes-china-lucrative-mid-size.html

...LOL......

denot
27-05-2013, 03:29 PM
been digging around Honda media release sites

Not even a spit of the next accord euro.

the lack of motor show appearances tells me it's quite possible they've just started designed the next euro... or they canned the idea altogether and is trying to come up with a gap filler.

Yeah, the weird thing is... a few times Honda Australia been asked for Accord Euro or the "2 Accord in Australia" and they always hinted that it will continue like this for a while... but never said anything about "new euro model".

Maybe they want to release the US version as "new Accord Euro" model and the Thai as accord...

UNLS1
28-05-2013, 02:39 PM
nice, thanks for the feedback..torque is what counts in these big cars!

it helps alot.

what did u think when you drove it?

Rudy
28-05-2013, 08:26 PM
it helps alot.

what did u think when you drove it?

I havn't driven it yet, but hope to soon. Ive driven the 7th and 8th gen a lot, so really looking forward to the comparison. Are there accessories such as body kit available yet? (cant seem to find that section on website yet). thanx

UNLS1
29-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I havn't driven it yet, but hope to soon. Ive driven the 7th and 8th gen a lot, so really looking forward to the comparison. Are there accessories such as body kit available yet? (cant seem to find that section on website yet). thanx

Body kit looks good, i put on on our showroom this morn its a Vti-L with the full modulo kit.

SPQR
04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
I saw two of the new Accord today. It's noticeably smaller in appearance, externally underwhelming but internal fit, finish and look is good.

SPQR
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I was invited to test drive the new Accord today and so I took an I4 base model for a drive. The ride is firm but reasonably compliant. It's mostly quiet but that depends on the coarseness of the road surface. The steering is highly assisted at low speed but very direct. The cabin is roomy but the front seats lack lateral support and so cornering speeds are affected. I wasn't paying much attention on whether it was set to 'Eco' mode as I was responding too much to the dealership minder but the engine response and power was rather flaccid. I liked the brakes and the view out is excellent. The big mirrors are great and make it a lot easier to spot the police. I'm not sure about the benefits of the reversing camera but I suppose with familiarity it could be useful. A base model would suit my needs as it has all the features that a contemporary car needs. I wasn't too impressed with the seat fabric, the carpet and the fabric on the door card, just where I rest my arm and eventually wear a hole into the soft fabric.

I don't like the googly tail lights and the way the bum is visually narrower than the front. It has the hyena stance of the superseded model thought desirable in the USA and nowhere else.

However, overall :thumbsup:

The dealership minder said that if the Accord sells well, then Honda Australia might not bother importing the new Euro next year.:(

Rudy
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
surprised i saw one so early... v6 with full modulo kit ... looked very good in person! this is all I could manage to take...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5340/8984645539_0f7b2eee69_b.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5324/8984645057_a2cd9bfd68_o.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/8984644901_6bbd3ccf5a_o.jpg

Fredoops
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
^^^ you mean like this?

http://accord.honda.com.au/resources.ashx/GalleryItems/1606/ImageFile/A331DDE12E610F616E44DCC63AB70177/ACCORD_2013_MODULO_FRONT_3-4_CMYK.jpg

back:
http://accord.honda.com.au/resources.ashx/GalleryItems/1605/ImageFile/4B02803ADD8C153ED7E2CFCC7FAA7908/ACCORD_2013_MODULO_REAR_3-4_CMYK.jpg

BTW i saw one in person today

It's about CU2 in size.

not good news for the euro...

Rudy
09-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Yeah it probably is that..ive seen that pic before as well, but it looks mundane there, whereas in person it looked a lot better, which I did not expect. Not sure why. That stance was lower than what appears in that pic as well.

antony
16-06-2013, 02:29 PM
The next Euro will be the same car as the 2014 Acura TLX.

The current TSX/Euro and bigger TL models are going to merge into one model,so it should once again be a very upmarket and desirable new model...

Fredoops
16-06-2013, 02:42 PM
^^^ that would mean it would identical in size to the new "big" accord.

ChaosMaster
18-06-2013, 01:15 PM
It would also mean it'll be a lot more expensive.... if it's going to be Acura specs.

Fredoops
18-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Sometimes I wonder, who the hell is in charge of product positioning @ honda.

SPQR
20-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Wheels magazine has, in the current July edition, said unkind things about the new Accord and has made generalisations about its target audience. It has noted the drop in power output of the I4 and that it's weak but has not mentioned how much power it's missing compared to the USA version and even the CRV's version of the engine. It's also inferred that Honda is technologically backward by going the 'large' engine (fail), less power (bigger fail), more economy (faint win) route instead of the smaller engine (win), turbocharger (win), more power (win), more economy (win) route. It's also suggested that the new Calais V is better value for money with similar equipment and much lower price than the Accord V6L.

Honda knows who it wants to sell the Accord to and has probably targeted that market well but to put it out there amongst dealers that they need to push the Accord and make it successful so that they don't have to import the new Accord Euro is unbelievably short sighted as the Euro targets a younger audience who would later become repeat business. Scare them away with a lack of Euro and you lose them (me) Mr Honda OZ :thumbdwn:.

Fredoops
21-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Wheels magazine has, in the current July edition, said unkind things about the new Accord and has made generalisations about its target audience. It has noted the drop in power output of the I4 and that it's weak but has not mentioned how much power it's missing compared to the USA version and even the CRV's version of the engine. It's also inferred that Honda is technologically backward by going the 'large' engine (fail), less power (bigger fail), more economy (faint win) route instead of the smaller engine (win), turbocharger (win), more power (win), more economy (win) route. It's also suggested that the new Calais V is better value for money with similar equipment and much lower price than the Accord V6L.

Wheels don't have to make any generalizations about the target audience.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW ACCORD TV AD??
it's like looking at you local pokies lol.

It's all true however, I've sat in the new commodore and the new accord, minimal difference in interior quality, except one is cheaper (not the honda), has more room (not the honda), and a decent drive (again, not the honda).

All Honda has goin for it is perceived reliability, except I don't trust the Earthdreams engine yet. Or that 6 speed tranny for that matter.

Honda knows who it wants to sell the Accord to and has probably targeted that market well but to put it out there amongst dealers that they need to push the Accord and make it successful so that they don't have to import the new Accord Euro is unbelievably short sighted as the Euro targets a younger audience who would later become repeat business. Scare them away with a lack of Euro and you lose them (me) Mr Honda OZ :thumbdwn:.
Thai made cars have a MUCH higher profit margin.

antony
21-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Wheels also said that the current Accord Euro is a better car than the all new regular Accord.

ChaosMaster
21-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Wheels also said that the current Accord Euro is a better car than the all new regular Accord.

Lolz, well they ain't wrong.

denot
27-06-2013, 04:56 PM
As much as I dont like the specs and look of the new Accord, have you guys wonder if Wheels give such a bad review to encourage people to buy Holden (new commodore) so they dont end up like ford?

SPQR
27-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I've seen the new Commodore. The interior is American glitzy and, on close inspection, not that well put together. The swede material inclusion in the material palette of the Calais is a huge mistake as it will take on all sorts of unsightly stains with time. Far from a European feel, the new Commodore just continues the march towards Americanisation as the car has to appeal to Americans as well. No, it's not European, it's very American. Even GM corporate switchgear has been adopted.

Having said that, I sat in the driver's seat of a Calais V and felt supremely comfortable.

I doubt that the new Accord is a threat to the Commodore. It's a big car too and they are just not popular with the buying public.

ChaosMaster
28-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I've seen the new Commodore. The interior is American glitzy and, on close inspection, not that well put together. The swede material inclusion in the material palette of the Calais is a huge mistake as it will take on all sorts of unsightly stains with time. Far from a European feel, the new Commodore just continues the march towards Americanisation as the car has to appeal to Americans as well. No, it's not European, it's very American. Even GM corporate switchgear has been adopted.

Having said that, I sat in the driver's seat of a Calais V and felt supremely comfortable.

I doubt that the new Accord is a threat to the Commodore. It's a big car too and they are just not popular with the buying public.

I agree that the Commodore's interior is nothing like the Europeans, and the fit and finish isn't even close. However, I find that it's no worse than any Japanese car out there. I mean I've got a Corolla, Euro and Camry. All Japanese, and all solid cars. However, the interior, there are panels that fit, and the gaps are small, but it doesn't seem like they've fitted it.... straight? The Commodore, well, considering it's a lot newer than any of my cars, it's nicer in terms of the interior, and the layout is also quite logical. The touch screen interface looks shit though, like something that belongs pre windows 95. Just doesn't belong. I've also been in a 328i and C200, and I've got to say the interior of them isn't really that special, very bland. Maybe it's because they're the lower end offerings. If I had to say a preference, I would say Honda makes the best interior design, but that's about it. The VF is better in all other regards.

Fredoops
28-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Commodore's interior is on par with Opel.

And IMO better than an entry level 3 series or the C class 2 generation ago (man that was a stinker, plastic bits loose and all)

30-06-2013, 03:35 AM
So can I clarify.
This new Accord has the Earth Dream label on the engine, yet doesn't have Direct Injection?

SPQR
30-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Correct, the I4 is not DI. The V6 doesn't have direct injection either; not even in the USA where the I4 does have DI.

Interestingly, in the USA, the I4 develops up to 140kW with DI but the I4 in the CRV is not Di and also develops up to 140kW (the latter in Australia as well).

Fredoops
30-06-2013, 10:21 AM
^^^

The torque difference between the DI and non-DI Earthdreams is more reveling

30-06-2013, 06:56 PM
This is sooo fail and such a big disappointment.

Being the Honda fan boy I am, I thought this new Accord would be something I could be proud of.

This really shows how backwards Honda Australia are. They must think we're fools with sticking that Earth Dream badge on the engine cover. WOW

ChaosMaster
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I can only pray that they're bringing the NSX here to Aus. Then, there would at least be 1 Honda worth owning. I also think, a while back, they were considering bringing Acura to Australia as well, and I'm just thinking, wtf are they smoking. Honda is struggling bad as it is now. What are they, 8th on the sales charts? I think Merc overtook them. Do they think bringing a substandard Acura to Australia would do anything? Especially since it's essentially an expensive Honda, which in itself is already too expensive? Shame Honda, just shame. I think Mazda is working with Alfa now on the new MX-5/Alfa like Subaru and Toyota did with the 86. An Alfa with Mazda reliability? Now that's a car I'm interested in. And that's a car that will send Honda to it's grave as the CR-Z is the only car in their range that is something.

boleh
16-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I think Honda has grown too complacent with their achievements and reputation gained last decade.
Went to a dealership to check out the new accord. welding on the door was crude... Shocking. Like it was done manually by an apprentice instead of high precision robot.
The 5A box... Lol... I pointed this out to the salesman to see what defence he has. He went on and on about the paddle shifter and how this was better than 6/7 speed auto without one. Lol.. Anyway it's his job to talk rubbish.

Fredoops
17-07-2013, 02:00 AM
welding on the door was crude... Shocking. Like it was done manually by an apprentice instead of high precision robot.

It probably is done by hand, it's cheaper to hire people in Thailand to do the welding than setup and maintain a robot.

We all know the automation level of Honda Thailand is not as high as Japan.

boleh
20-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Agree.. There is a general rot happening in Honda across the board. Started the the civic type r, normal civic, and now accord. How are they to go against Mazda. Toyota still have their low price (relatively) proposition.