PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler setup?

mugen_ctr
21-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Sup guys after watching h.nats, ive been thinking off getting more serious about track orientated setups, an one of the first things that sprung into my mind was the oil cooling side...

As anyone whos had a boosted honda would know, oil temps start sky rocketing after short period of bashing it lol

anyways, ive looked at few setups on different cars/motors, so far ive gathered most of em tend to run from:

Block > Sandwhich plate > oil filter

than came across this one:

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/oilcooler/circuit.gif

I much prefer this setup as i can retain my oil sandwhich plate which has the oil feed an sensors on it...

Would having extended lines an all impact on the oil pressures?

And would the spin on adaptor be just as fine vs the conventional sandwhich plates feed/return to the oil cooler?

cheers guys

Riced_Civic
21-04-2013, 08:21 AM
the line will affect the pressure depending on how long the lines are, and also the core it self will effect a drop in pressure depending on how well its been built as some drop more then others.

if you are already running a sandwich plate with sensors the adaptor will work fine, just need to make sure its a good quality one so it wont leak.

na-118
21-04-2013, 09:33 AM
increase the oil pressure from the oil pump, i done block, sandwhich to oil cooler

mugen_ctr
21-04-2013, 03:45 PM
ahh k cheers... as far as setup its not too hard, but oil pressure is the main one, ive read some were i shouldnt be loosing that much anywere from 0 - 5 psi is fine, but any more than should b a worry

Oz_Striker
21-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Redline motor oil has been known to keep oil temps noticeably lower over other brands and doesn't tend to burn as much either. Might be worth using that as well. That's what I use in the DC5, never burns any oil anymore and oil temp is always normal. I have an oil cooler too and only have to do one cool down lap at the end of each session :)

jdm_b16a
23-04-2013, 02:04 PM
I ran that setup in my EG racecar and had no problems.

From the block, 'round to the wheel well where the remote oil filter sat (larger V01) then on to the cooler mounted in front of the radiator, then back 'round to the block.

All with braided hose and Speedflow fittings. Cost about $700 back in 2006.

Peter

mugen_ctr
23-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Redline motor oil has been known to keep oil temps noticeably lower over other brands and doesn't tend to burn as much either. Might be worth using that as well. That's what I use in the DC5, never burns any oil anymore and oil temp is always normal. I have an oil cooler too and only have to do one cool down lap at the end of each session :)

not too keen on switching oils lol but thats something ill keep in mind

I ran that setup in my EG racecar and had no problems.

From the block, 'round to the wheel well where the remote oil filter sat (larger V01) then on to the cooler mounted in front of the radiator, then back 'round to the block.

All with braided hose and Speedflow fittings. Cost about $700 back in 2006.

Peter

ahh sweet man thats giving me more confidence to go with this setup

cheers man