PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox crunches/grinds when i get into reverse

deuces
21-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, just got bought a honda accord euro recently and recently discovered a problem with the gearbox when i get into reverse. When i get into reverse, it has the crunching/grinding the gearbox sound until i pull it completely in, but once you do that a few times, it slowly goes away and gets into reverse normally without any of those sounds. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?!

DreadAngel
22-04-2013, 12:09 AM
So when you try to put it into reverse it doesn't go in and grinds?

Standard clutch?

Complete stop?

Fully depressed clutch pedal?

It could be a few things:

* Fluid issue so either too old or wrong spec perhaps? I'm guessing this happens when cold by your description that it goes away after a few times.

* If its struggling to get it and you have to put it into neutral then back into reverse, it could be either a sign your gearbox is getting worn [Syncros/Gears]

* Perhaps the clutch isn't being fully disengaged which could point to the master clutch cylinder worn OR clutch incompatible being too much for the master clutch cylinder to fully operate it [Unlikely scenario but could happen if very tough aftermarket clutch]

deuces
22-04-2013, 12:25 AM
It does go in after I keep forcing it in while its grinding.

Yea it should be a standard clutch, if you mean like fully stepped down on clutch when putting into reverse then yes and also yes complete stop, I was parking in the garage testing it.

Yeah I was thinking that it was cold or something, cause I was testing it out earlier and I sat in my garage putting it into reverse, neutral, reverse and kept doing, and like the first 3 grinds heaps but still can get into reverse after forcing through it, then slowly gets quieter and eventually it's good as normal.

DreadAngel
22-04-2013, 01:32 AM
I say change the fluid first then, something like Redline Shockproof just in chance it's the gearbox that is worn and go from there =)

deuces
22-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Alright maybe I'll try that, I tested again this morning and instead of driving straight away, I started up the car and left it there for about 5-10 minutes then no grind/crunching sound.

chez00
22-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Use Honda MTF not shockproof. The thing with shockproof is it requires very regular changes (6-12 months) and you need to stick with it once you use it. Sounds like you may have the wrong fluid in there, so just change back to standard. Also check the clutch fluid level.

deuces
22-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Clutch fluids are still high. I'm not too sure what I'm using, if its Honda mtf or if its something else as it was serviced and got rwc at some mechanics not at a Honda.

mocchi
23-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Clutch fluids are still high. I'm not too sure what I'm using, if its Honda mtf or if its something else as it was serviced and got rwc at some mechanics not at a Honda.

i hope youre not putting honda mtf for your clutch fluid

deuces
23-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I hope the mechanics used the right fluids... :/

Daveho1
24-04-2013, 06:16 AM
i would say 95% its the wrong fluid but sitting in the garage grinding gears wont have done alot of good eather
and you should always warm up your car..

dougie_504
25-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Just feel it in gently, don't force it if it's crunching.

Change fluid.

Otherwise reverse gear damaged, like most Hondas.

Daveho1
26-04-2013, 06:13 AM
^^^^ this

but if reverse is damaged how will i roll back then smash first to do a small skid to impress girlys,fast and furious style?

VIP-EK
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Check your linkages. Had the same problem with my ek, even worse, it wouldn't go into reverse at all. Ended up just being my linkage.

Limbo
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
ALways use OEM fluids in hondas.
I've stuffed up a box previously from using Redline fluids.
Its an unusual thing but more expensive fluids tend to stuff the honda boxes as much as the cheap ones.

OEMs are great and you'll have less problems.
I even tracked my car using OEM fluids no issues.
Just need to bleed brake fluid after tracking.

stndrd
09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Have you tried selecting second gear before selecting reverse? This usually slows down the gear speeds enough for you to select reverse without damage.

If you still have no love, check the condition of your gbox oil & if required replace with OEM or Penrite Trans Gear 75W80

Worst case would be the pressure or clutch plates are not working properly and will require replacing