PDA

View Full Version : ** Please help to identify this noise **

subie
25-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi guys,

First, thank you for looking at my thread and try to help identify the problem.

I have this noise for over 6 months and tried everything to eliminate the problem,

Car: EK1, D16Y4, manual, 180,000kms

Noise/Sound: very hard to explain the sound of this but I'll try my best. It sounds like metal loosing, vibrating, rattling under the car toward the front, when car under load, like the rpm not matching the speed or get up the hill on the 5th gear. it only happened when car getting warm, first 5mins after initial start, never happened

I though it was the exhaust rattling. so, I replaced the mid muffler, then replaced the mid pipe as the exhaust guy reckoned it double walls pipe and could be rusted inside, then removed every heat shields including the header one. the noise/sound still there!!!

So, nothing to do with the exhaust now, I wasted my money :( then, I though it only happened under load. well, I jacked the car up, put it under the stands, asked my mate to start the car and started driving (wheels up in the air) with one foot on the brake and the other foot on the gas, just to give a bit of the load on the car, while I was under the car tried to find the noise.

well, what I can see under the car was, nothing seems to loose, but I heard the noise came from inside the gearbox!!

what the hell is loose inside the gearbox??? I couldn't fault anything while I'm driving only the noise that pissing me off

Thanks for reading guys and sorry if my english is poor

Any inputs would be much appreciated

Cheers

dougie_504
25-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Cat shagged?

Exhaust hangers? (not necessarily the exhaust piping itself).

If it's coming from the GBox it's often the input shaft bearing. You can hear it with the clutch pedal out sitting stationary in neutral. When you push the clutch pedal in it goes away. Rattles when you take off and disappears when you get some RPM.

dorikin
25-04-2013, 09:37 PM
possibly damper springs in the clutch plate

subie
25-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Cat shagged?

Exhaust hangers? (not necessarily the exhaust piping itself).

If it's coming from the GBox it's often the input shaft bearing. You can hear it with the clutch pedal out sitting stationary in neutral. When you push the clutch pedal in it goes away. Rattles when you take off and disappears when you get some RPM.

Thanks for your input,

forgot to mention, just got brand new cat put in, exhaust hangers are fine (checked)

I'm 99% sure that's coming from gearbox, I don't think it the input shaft bearing tho, cause when the car in neutral or stationary, no noise at all

when take off, no noise either

cheers

subie
25-04-2013, 09:46 PM
possibly damper springs in the clutch plate

How can I eliminate that problem or to be sure about the damper springs? can't really afford to pull the gearbox out just to look at it tho

cheers

Daveho1
26-04-2013, 06:03 AM
well thats sort of the next step bud.
if your 100% its the box then remove the box and get it sorted.

invoked
26-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I think i've got the same problem. Prior to warming up the car does it make the sound in neutral? (maybe for the first 5min). Then after the cars warmed up, it doesnt happen it neutral but happens when you don't give the car enough gas from taking off or cruising slowly in a high gear?

subie
26-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Prior to warming up the car does it make the sound in neutral? (maybe for the first 5min). Then after the cars warmed up, it doesn't happen it neutral but happens when you don't give the car enough gas from taking off or cruising slowly in a high gear?

for the first 5mins in neutral, no noise at all. and as you said, after the car warmed up, it's begin and drives me crazy.

when don't give the car enough gas from taking off or cruising slowly in a high gear, this is EXACTLY !!

happen to know what caused the sound?

chez00
26-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Have you checked your ignition timing? sounds like pre-detonation.
If you're absolutely sure its the gearbox, it's either bearings or an outside chance is a misaligned fork. Does the noise change with your foot on the clutch?

subie
03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
any other input guys?

blu
05-05-2013, 05:29 PM
If you're absolutely sure its the gearbox, it's either bearings or an outside chance is a misaligned fork. Does the noise change with your foot on the clutch?
this make sense,, check if the sound changes if your foot on the clutch i got the same prob. too but i checked it my release bearing needs to bee replace.. checks yours and give us some feed back if it change the sound..

subie
14-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Bump, It wasn't gearbox, went to mechanic and he looked / checked the gearbox, put me car up on the hoist, drove it up in the air, could not hear a thing, he reckoned i need to take it some place where they have dyno, so i can drive on it and they can walk around the car try to find the noise

any more inputs?

bart2
15-06-2013, 01:18 AM
i had the exact same problem when i use to use 91 octane fuel on me ek, and noticed the sound went away when i used 95 or 98, but if i used 91 again it came back.
I know it sounds a bit far fetched but it works for me, this is the reason i use 95 octane in my ek : / .
let ur tank drain and fill with 95 and see if sound goes away.

I can nearly guarantee it will

subie
15-06-2013, 07:13 PM
i had the exact same problem when i use to use 91 octane fuel on me ek, and noticed the sound went away when i used 95 or 98, but if i used 91 again it came back.
I know it sounds a bit far fetched but it works for me, this is the reason i use 95 octane in my ek : / .
let ur tank drain and fill with 95 and see if sound goes away.

I can nearly guarantee it will

Thanks for your input but I alway using 95 octane, never used 91 since I bought the car (almost 2 years)

aaronrein
15-06-2013, 07:17 PM
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/208468-throw-out-bearing-input-shaft-bearing.html

Hopefully not this!