PDA

View Full Version : Replace CV or entire axle + removing hub nut

carayan
29-04-2013, 02:05 PM
My problem at the moment is that the cv nut holding the hub in isn't coming off and I can't get the cv or axle out. How can I get any of it off? not even my impact gun can get it off. there's nothing left on it, i.e. rotor caliper etc, and it's sitting on stands so yeah...:thumbdwn:

My b18 cv's are looking really worn and tired as well and I was wondering if it's better to just replace the old axles completely, or to just replace the cv's? (even though I can't get it out at the moment...)

SHOGUNOVDDRK
29-04-2013, 03:20 PM
mmmm this is shit.

Tried a bit of WD40 and have an extension on what you're using to get the nut off?
Unless it's threaded on there I don't see why it ain't coming off at some point.

With regards to the B18's stuff, I'd look into some new driveshafts to be safe (not knowing their condition)

carayan
29-04-2013, 03:58 PM
mmmm this is shit.

Tried a bit of WD40 and have an extension on what you're using to get the nut off?
Unless it's threaded on there I don't see why it ain't coming off at some point.

With regards to the B18's stuff, I'd look into some new driveshafts to be safe (not knowing their condition)

wd40, soaked the bastard in rust pentatrator, extensions on breaker bars not coming off, i need to come off obviously..

can i somehow break the driveshaft off? if its worth it to replace the entire driveshaft, is there way to get the drive shaft off the axle so i can get the hub pressed off?

mocchi
29-04-2013, 04:01 PM
get a breaker bar and get yucky with da boys

carayan
29-04-2013, 04:06 PM
get a breaker bar and get yucky with da boys

tried but the hub ends up spinning with it..

mocchi
29-04-2013, 04:17 PM
tried but the hub ends up spinning with it..

drop car down, use tire chocks

carayan
29-04-2013, 04:24 PM
drop car down, use tire chocks

no rear trailing arm left lol

mocchi
29-04-2013, 04:52 PM
stick big screwdriver inside rotor vanes, cover with cloth, prop it againts caliper then try again.

carayan
29-04-2013, 05:03 PM
stick big screwdriver inside rotor vanes, cover with cloth, prop it againts caliper then try again.

there's nothing left on it, i.e. rotor caliper etc, and it's sitting on stands so yeah...:thumbdwn:

i disassembled everything..i'd have to reassemble everything hmmm see if i still have rotor and caliper to reassemble it..

chez00
29-04-2013, 05:33 PM
i disassembled everything..i'd have to reassemble everything hmmm see if i still have rotor and caliper to reassemble it..

Have you put some pneumatic oil in your rattle gun recently? Surprising how much difference it makes. No extensions, 6 point socket, full air receiver, max pressure. This is your best bet I would have thought?

bennjamin
29-04-2013, 08:32 PM
OP

did you pull out the stake of the hub nut ? If this is still staked into the driveshaft , it aint going anywhere !

Grab a decent flathead and pop it out

grifty
30-04-2013, 07:49 AM
If you still can't get the Fkker of just use a chisel to split it in half

carayan
30-04-2013, 11:32 AM
OP

did you pull out the stake of the hub nut ? If this is still staked into the driveshaft , it aint going anywhere !

Grab a decent flathead and pop it out

What stake? I haven't seen anything like a stake :s

If you still can't get the Fkker of just use a chisel to split it in half

Yeah looks like it, ill be just have to bash it out.

bennjamin
30-04-2013, 02:05 PM
What stake? I haven't seen anything like a stake :s

Yeah looks like it, ill be just have to bash it out.

The nut on the driveshaft has a small lip which is "staked" into the groove of the driveshaft end , keeping it held on.
This has to be "undone" to allow the nut to be loosened. Make sense ?

Limbo
30-04-2013, 03:07 PM
lol
Try putting lots of WD40 and also heating it up with a blowtorch helps.

carayan
30-04-2013, 04:25 PM
lol
Try putting lots of WD40 and also heating it up with a blowtorch helps.

rookie problems..dont have a blowtorch. dont really know anyone that does lol

i tried the stake thing bennjamin, i sheared off the entire thin ring of the hub nut surrounding the driveshaft ... the entire thing got bent and then snapped off, doesnt seem right to me does it..?

Riceboy
30-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Take the whole hub off with the CV shaft and take it to a local mechanic who can use his big ass rattle gun to get it off.

Limbo
06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
you can get a blowtorch at bunnings for about $30

carayan
06-05-2013, 05:33 PM
what about..an angle grinder?

Daveho1
06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
haha that would do it. cairful not to damage the hub. the other option is to split the nut with a chisle

carayan
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
haha that would do it. cairful not to damage the hub. the other option is to split the nut with a chisle

wait, how? hammer a chisel into it?

Daveho1
07-05-2013, 04:42 AM
yeah basicly, ive only seen it done a few times but yeah basicly they started a guide line on opposing sides of the cv nut with a hacksaw blade and then just chucking the chisle in and hitting counter clockwise so it either splits or comes loose.

Doch-vtec
13-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Rattle gun will be the best move hit it first with a hammer so the rust could come off den wd40 den rattle gun.

If it doesn't work put the calliper back the tire put it down put the hand brake up step on d brake then use a breaker bar

With a extention pipe to make it longer.

Stevil
13-05-2013, 08:55 AM
How bigs the nut ? I remember my mechanic used a 6ft crowbar, with a 4ft pipe then onto a breaker bar to get my nut undone, 2 blokes leaning on about 8ft of metal got it loose.

Not sure if Blue Point stuck Nut remover is big enough to grip the Nut ?? if it is, the rattle gun it on the nut and then borrow a crow bar and pipe. Chisel/grinder would be the last resort