PDA

View Full Version : b18c2 head build help

nate92
10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
hey guys im thinking of upgrading my head with new cams valvetrain retainers etc.

at the moment ive got i/h/e and waiting for my itr gearbox to get installed. Also have a hondata s200 but i was thinking should i upgrade my head first before i tune it? or should i tune it and see my peak power and than install my cams etc etc and re tune it?

Also what cams and upgrades do you guys recommend? Do you think this is a good combo? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Edelbrock-4730-Street-Strip-Camshafts-GSR-B18c-B18c1-B16-B16a-B16a2-B16a3-ITR-/270993559532?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f18798fec

im leaning towards this pack. Should i do the bottem end or can i just leave the c2 bottem end stock?

thank you for all your help! any advice would be appreciated !

dougie_504
15-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes upgrade your head first - don't spend the money twice mate. Waste of $500-800.

If you want just reset your ECU and pay like $50-100 for a power run on the dyno to see what it's making, but don't tune it until the cams are in.

Cams I recommend the Skunk2 Pro 1. The Skunk2 stuff for B-series is good quality/value, although there is debate about their K-series gear. The Pro 1 cam will give you a nice power kick but still retain good daily driveability (IE you don't need to rev your car to 7,000-10,000 all the time to get the power). You will likely need to upgrade your valve springs and retainers, and adjustable cam gears will complement the camshafts a lot.

Other complementary mods include fuel pressure regulator + gauge, fuel pump etc.

Daveho1
16-05-2013, 06:03 AM
agreed dont do it twice.
its worth considering your situation, if you need the car everyday etc etc it limits you to what cams you will use if your doing the work yourself as some cant just drop in with no additional work. buddyclub make some nice cams
supertech make good valve train gear however retainers and valve guides i recon stay oem

Super-DA9
16-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Agreed with buddyclub cams for everyday driver.

Just keep in mind if using OEM retainers with aftermarket valvesprings the only ones you can safely use are the early model DC5-S (RSX-S) K-series CrMOV retainers. ;)

Another tip if you aren't changing the bearings in the block to ACL race bearings or something of the like, I would not go for cams bigger than stage 2.

tripleuse
16-05-2013, 04:52 PM
hey guys im thinking of upgrading my head with new cams valvetrain retainers etc.

at the moment ive got i/h/e and waiting for my itr gearbox to get installed. Also have a hondata s200 but i was thinking should i upgrade my head first before i tune it? or should i tune it and see my peak power and than install my cams etc etc and re tune it?

Also what cams and upgrades do you guys recommend? Do you think this is a good combo? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Edelbrock-4730-Street-Strip-Camshafts-GSR-B18c-B18c1-B16-B16a-B16a2-B16a3-ITR-/270993559532?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f18798fec

im leaning towards this pack. Should i do the bottem end or can i just leave the c2 bottem end stock?

thank you for all your help! any advice would be appreciated !

really wouldnt bother with cams on a c2, i have seen you tossing up between n/a and turbo, definitely go turbo. For the money you spend on cams and head work,a turbo setup could be achieveable making much better power and better for everyday driving.Do everything at once, i made the stupid mistake of doing it in stages.

Super-DA9
16-05-2013, 09:37 PM
really wouldnt bother with cams on a c2

Just curious, why not? it made a huge difference on my C2.

i have seen you tossing up between n/a and turbo, definitely go turbo. For the money you spend on cams and head work,a turbo setup could be achieveable making much better power and better for everyday driving.

I would think a reliable turbo setup would cost more than headwork and cams, don't good turbo kits alone normally cost more than $2k? I mean you've got the turbo, intercooler, piping, pressure release valve etc. :/

Do everything at once, i made the stupid mistake of doing it in stages.

Couldn't agree more, it's been the same with me. Re-tuning is also expensive..

tripleuse
17-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Just curious, why not? it made a huge difference on my C2.
I would think a reliable turbo setup would cost more than headwork and cams, don't good turbo kits alone normally cost more than $2k? I mean you've got the turbo, intercooler, piping, pressure release valve etc. :/
Couldn't agree more, it's been the same with me. Re-tuning is also expensive..

He will be always be chasing figures, cams on a b18c2 is hardly an improvement,I mean why spend money on the strengths of the engine, why not spend money on its weakness, displacement. Im not doubting that boost will cost more then 2k, but i have seen some very cheap, good second hand setups. I know i would much rather spend extra 2-5k getting a turbo with good power then spending nearly the same on a built c2 that will have disappointing figures.
Going back to OP's question;

Should i do the bottem end or can i just leave the c2 bottem end stock?

i would spend the money at least on displacement.Building a b18c2 will be fun don't get me wrong, but you will be disappointed in the power.

nate92
17-05-2013, 05:44 PM
thank you all for your imputs as it helped me very much! ive got alot to think about!

Super-DA9
17-05-2013, 06:06 PM
He will be always be chasing figures, cams on a b18c2 is hardly an improvement,I mean why spend money on the strengths of the engine, why not spend money on its weakness, displacement. Im not doubting that boost will cost more then 2k, but i have seen some very cheap, good second hand setups. I know i would much rather spend extra 2-5k getting a turbo with good power then spending nearly the same on a built c2 that will have disappointing figures.
Going back to OP's question;

i would spend the money at least on displacement.Building a B18C2 will be fun don't get me wrong, but you will be disappointed in the power.

Guess it depends on what the individual considers to be high/low figures. I would also be concerned about the reliability of running a turbo on the stock internals, usually forged pistons are used with turbo setups because they handle more heat.

That said you are right, the B18C2 does have the potential to pull large figures with a turbo setup, and cams/headwork absolutely cannot compete with that sort of bang for buck.

Daveho1
17-05-2013, 09:46 PM
to be perfectly honest i think that an N/A setup is a good way to go but it depends what you want if your looking for.
ask yourself honestly at the moment would the car reach its limit befor you do?