PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

Nic
11-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Have 97 cxi with only one key that is worn and a wrecked 97 vtir with all keys including red. To save money i put the barrel and immobiliser module from the vtir in the cxi car turns over but won't start. So i put the old barrel and immobiliser back just to see if there was any other problems and it starts.

I thought the immobiliser unit only disabled the starter.

Are the immobilisers ecu specific or is there something else I need to do????

Can someone help

THE 2BSEEN
12-05-2013, 12:59 AM
You might be able to get the stock barrel adjusted to suit the new key (vtir key). But the chip in the key might not work

Also if the red key has been in the barrel Honda will need to fix the problem. The red key is a service key and should only be used for unlocking (if needed) and never in the ignition unless Honda do it.

Red key is a service key

Nic
13-05-2013, 03:35 PM
The red key is still in its packet so has never been used before. The immobilizer seems to disarm because the starter motor works just does not fire. I have worked out that can use the vtir barrel with the old immobilizer by taping the old key inside the plastic ring that fits around the barrel and keeping it under the dash. It's abut dodgy but it works.

Wow 7 x crx does that mean you have 7 crx's or you have had 7 of them

Spoon-Accord
15-05-2013, 05:55 AM
From googling this problem, seems it relies on the ecu itself.

Unless you find a way to disable the immobiliser itself (bypass) and use the ek4 barrel and keys

THE 2BSEEN
15-05-2013, 09:02 AM
The red key is still in its packet so has never been used before. The immobilizer seems to disarm because the starter motor works just does not fire. I have worked out that can use the vtir barrel with the old immobilizer by taping the old key inside the plastic ring that fits around the barrel and keeping it under the dash. It's abut dodgy but it works.

Wow 7 x crx does that mean you have 7 crx's or you have had 7 of them

I have 7

I agree with spoon-accord.
Good way to fix it but you will loose the immobiliser

ECU-MAN
15-05-2013, 09:31 AM
The Immobiliser module needs to be programmed to the ECU

tow it to a Honda dealer and have it programmed, I can also program this for you if you post me the ECU and Immo control unit and 1 black key.

The reason it cranks is because the immo control unit sees an allowed key and disables the starter cut, however the ECU is in BAN mode because its not programmed to the immo control unit so no injector fire.

if you use the red key to try and start the car the cost of repair doubles

DaRKNT
15-05-2013, 10:47 AM
So hold on... can you guys explain this red key? Why does it cost double to repair?

ECU-MAN
15-05-2013, 12:32 PM
if you attempt to start the car with the red key it will wipe all black keys from immo system, so then you have to program all black keys in again. the situation he is in now only requires a certain type of programming. If he uses the red key and roots it then different programming is required.

Red Key is only used to program new keys into the immo system

DaRKNT
15-05-2013, 01:57 PM
So it's a reset key. Ooh

ECU-MAN
15-05-2013, 03:12 PM
its called the learn key for the dealer

if you try and use it, it becomes the world of pain key

ivseenwars
15-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Red key is devil key. Cost me $400 to fix.. had to get a new immobiliser control unit and have it programmed to the ecu and get two new black keys cut \:

ECU-MAN
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Red key is devil key. Cost me $400 to fix.. had to get a new immobiliser control unit and have it programmed to the ecu and get two new black keys cut \:

sorry to use your post as an example but this is what I was trying to say above.

Nic
16-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the offer to reprogram the immobilizer ECU-MAN but my plan is to drop the b16a in at a later date when I get the time so I will be better off leaving it.