PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light, Random

.Dave
13-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, looking for a bit of help in regards to CEL coming on randomly, but making no difference to the car driving/running/whatever

Its a B16a2 EG running on standard computer, standard engine (bar b18cr intake)

While im driving, usually in the exact same spot from home/same street when im driving to uni, the CEL comes on, but makes no difference to the car driving/sound, and turning the car off and then back on removes the light for about the same distance again, but when the cars warm, itll go a little further without coming on, and sometimes not at all.

Any suggestions, opinions or things i should do/look out for would be much appreciated

Loagz
13-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Sounds just how my civic went with a busted o2 sensor, same turn around the block from a cold start an it would come on. Best to jump the 2 pin cable for the ecu code but that is my guess.

.Dave
13-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Sounds just how my civic went with a busted o2 sensor, same turn around the block from a cold start an it would come on. Best to jump the 2 pin cable for the ecu code but that is my guess.

thanks man, yeah ill give the code a check, just need to figure out how to do it haha, ill re-read the DIY when i get a chance to work on the car

ECU-MAN
14-05-2013, 08:52 AM
sounds like either KS or PO2

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?67113-DIY-PGMFI-Diagnostics-Codes

THE 2BSEEN
14-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Check for codes

you might need to check for the codes when the light comes on.

there might be loose wires, when you hit a bump the light comes on

brad
14-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Had the exact same issue with mine, replaced O2 sensor/reset ecu and it went away for a week. Then came on again, and would do so exactly like you said, I could predict it exactly. Did the timing belt and water pump and it doesn't come on unless I sit in the same spot (i.e. traffic in hot weather for 15-20mins)

Baby Face
14-05-2013, 06:42 PM
checking on the codes is a no brainer, codes could be stored in some memory so you might not have to wait for the light, but if you test it and nothing comes up then do the test again when it is on.

but it does sound like an o2 sensor thats finally warmed up and realised its not working.

Daveho1
15-05-2013, 06:09 AM
how long has this engine been in the car?
i ask because on the eg when b swaped you need to convert from the 1 wire o2 sensor to the 4 wire setup, it may be worth checking the wiring as both of the heater circut wires are black and have been known to cause a stall/CEL if reversed.

.Dave
15-05-2013, 08:17 AM
its been in there for as long as ive had it and as long as the previous owner had it, not sure past then, does that literally mean 2 wires going to the O2 sensor vs 4 wires?
nub here

ECU-MAN
15-05-2013, 09:26 AM
check your ECU for codes

It will tell you what the problem is. Its not hard to do. The link I provided tells you how to do it.

If it was the PO2H (heater) the MIL wold come on before you even select the gear to drive off, not after 10min of driving

.Dave
28-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Update, So i finally found a paper clip, and its come up as code 43, FSS, so ill start with the O2 sensor, seems pretty common, then vaccuum hoses too, coz i have a bit of an idle problem, so it might lay there, fuel filter is fairly new so id pretty much rule that out, and always run on 98... :S

.Dave
28-05-2013, 04:18 PM
and furthermore where can i buy a decent one

Hellomotog
31-05-2013, 05:47 PM
still got vtec? when light is on? wont be anything serious then

.Dave
16-07-2013, 12:37 AM
alright so update for anyne with similar problems

replaced the oxygen sensor, still rev hunts, but less often and less noticeable/intense, but no more engine light
Will double check all of the vacuum hoses for leaks, but at least theres more peace of mind with no more CEL

Baby Face
16-07-2013, 05:06 PM
i actually have this problem to...
i had bad hunting idle and an o2 sensor code pop up at same time.
replaced mine and still got boggy light accell now n then really hit n miss.
JDM b16a

check the Idle control screw, with engine idling at operating temp wind it all the way down, the iacv should keep the engine running.
worked for my odd idle.