PDA

View Full Version : Auto Kick Back - Gears

Honda
14-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Is it normal for an auto ek to kick back (jerk?) when the car changes gears? Is there anything I should look at?

Service logs shows transmission fluid has been changed about 12,000km ago. Didn't notice it much till now-

Seems be more noticeable on the lower rpm..

curtis265
14-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Auto ek's always seem to be choppy like that. I've experienced a few. Not sure if normal.

Baby Face
14-05-2013, 04:39 PM
its probably normal, since gears ratios are predefined your probably just becoming paranoid of it more and more.

check the kick down cable near the throttle body, it should be tight but with slack it should not tug on the TB.

is the jerkyness as it goes up or down gears?

EDIT:
if it is jerkier than before it might be that the engine is moving around more than it used too, check the mounts.

grifty
14-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Is it normal for an auto ek to kick back (jerk?) when the car changes gears? Is there anything I should look at?

Service logs shows transmission fluid has been changed about 12,000km ago. Didn't notice it much till now-

Seems be more noticeable on the lower rpm..

EK's seem to be like this. I've driven 3 all under 100k kms and they all did the same thing.

But it wouldnt hurt to check out the engine mounts as well.

ECU-MAN
14-05-2013, 09:53 PM
They are not ment to kick during upshift

Honda don't use kick down cables, they are called throttle cables and regulate clutch pressures in trans

a poorly adjusted cable will cause the kick you experience as will worn clutch packs. The correct method to adjust the cable is it should move the leaver on the trans as you move the throttle. not slack or free movement of the throttle before the leaver moves.

charliebrown
14-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Had some shagged engine mounts in a previous car. Upshifts were violent as fuk, engine was just jerking around up in that bay

Baby Face
14-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Honda don't use kick down cables, they are called throttle cables and regulate clutch pressures in trans

a poorly adjusted cable will cause the kick you experience as will worn clutch packs. The correct method to adjust the cable is it should move the leaver on the trans as you move the throttle. not slack or free movement of the throttle before the leaver moves.

learn somethings new!
thank ECU man

curtis265
14-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Thanks ECU man!

Jasemas
15-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I should check the tension on mine

EKVTIR-T
15-05-2013, 01:37 AM

a poorly adjusted cable will cause the kick you experience as will worn clutch packs. The correct method to adjust the cable is it should move the leaver on the trans as you move the throttle. not slack or free movement of the throttle before the leaver moves.nice tips

Baby Face
15-05-2013, 02:12 AM
i still get points for mentioning the cable aye though?

Honda
15-05-2013, 09:39 AM

The kick happens during upshift

I've checked the throttle cable and it needs abit of adjustment (will do it when I'm free)

It seems abit dirty though! any recommended cleaners I can use for this section?
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2932/imag1037z.jpg

Honda
15-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Had some shagged engine mounts in a previous car. Upshifts were violent as fuk, engine was just jerking around up in that bay

Not sure how to diagnose engine mounts, however, my engine seems stable on idle and when revved.

Any things I should look at or pay attention to?

Edit: I notice movement when I switch from P to R or P to D4. Not sure if I'm paranoid but can someone check if this is normal (auto ek)?

1. Sit in the car
2. Handbrake up
3. Switch to R from P and wait 5secs, is there movement?
4. Switch to D4 from P and wait 5secs, is there movement?

I guess I never noticed before as I just switch and take off

amant02
15-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Start the car leave it P or N and open your engine pay pull gently on the throotle cable. if you see engine move more then it should you got a mount issue. Or visually inspect the mounts for cracks/leaks/not looking what it should look like. The passenger side lower support one is usually the one that gives away 1st in my experince. You will have to get under the car to check one.