PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't start on a hill

Neo7
15-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi,

My 2002 CRV starts up first time every time….. But today I parked on a steep hill with the front pointing downhill for an hour. After that she wouldn’t start. Was winding aver Ok but not firing and it took about 10 or 15 key turns to get her started…. but ran fine after that.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.
Neo

impossi13le
15-05-2013, 09:48 PM
was the car low on petrol? possible that the fuel pump isnt picking up whatever's left in the tank to start it up/

but if your car had petrol, disregard this comment LOL

Daveho1
16-05-2013, 06:12 AM
to be honest i agree^^^

Neo7
16-05-2013, 07:16 AM
No it was almost full.

nzdh
16-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Possible a faulty fuel pump?

Next time it does it, loosen the pressure nut on top of the fuel filter and turn the key (but don't crank). Then have a look at your fuel filter again to see if there is any petrol squirted out by the fuel filter. If there is non then you have a fuel pressure issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpP4wxBvpA

Neo7
16-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Thanks nzdh for a great response.

One thing puzzles me though.... If it was a fuel supply issue I would have expected it to try and fire up the first couple of times I turned the key (using the fuel left in the pipe and chamber) but there was nothing ... as if there was no ignition.

Any other thoughts on the ignition side of things?

Many thanks.
Neo

Daveho1
17-05-2013, 06:15 AM
start at the plugs and work your way back basicly (ignitior and coil) are most common to go on ignition systems.
but since it started im thinking relay bud

nzdh
17-05-2013, 06:28 AM
start at the plugs and work your way back basicly (ignitior and coil) are most common to go on ignition systems.

That's a good point.

Make sure you have an extra spark plug with you and next time when it doesn't want to start quickly disconnect the coil on cylinder #1 and put the extra spark plug in it. Then hold the coil and spark plug close to an earth while someone ells attempts to start the car. If there is a spark then there is you don't have an ignition issue. I wouldn't think its necessary to test all 4 coils since the car is completely dead and not running on 3 or so cylinders.

but since it started im thinking relay bud

Aren't relay issues usually caused due to heat? From the description it seems that when they car's having the issue its been standing for a while i.e the engine is cold. Although once it eventually fires up and drives its fine i.e the engine gets warm and there is no issue.

Neo7
25-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if this is related but since I originally posted this thread my 2002 CRV has been starting up first time every time….. But these past few days I left her parked on a hill with the front pointing down a slight slope. This morning she started after a few turns (just about) but then wouldn't idle at all. So I drove her like that for 15mins (engine seemed smooth as always) and rev'd her up high a couple of times. Now she's idling again.

Any ideas what's going on anyone?

Many thanks.
Neo

Jiblet
25-02-2014, 09:09 AM
stop parking on a hill with the front pointing down?

Oil in the sump will be anywhere but below the pickup.

Neo7
25-02-2014, 10:11 AM
stop parking on a hill with the front pointing down?
Oil in the sump will be anywhere but below the pickup.

Yes but I'm only taking about a slight slope...5 degrees maybe. .... Surely the oil pickup would be fine with that?

Neo7
26-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Any more ideas anyone?

u mad?
26-02-2014, 10:52 PM
low fuel? happened to me before.

u mad?
26-02-2014, 10:53 PM
No it was almost full.
lol never mind then.

Limbo
28-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Last time I had a similar issue it was a fuel filter block. Car would drive fine on level ground.
The fuel filter is in the fuel tank though.