PDA

View Full Version : Honda Euro, Dealer or Another place? Which Mechanic Service?

Clause
19-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

Good morning! Just got a second hand accord euro. However I was inform that I do need to change the water pump and get it check again. Its a 2008 model, so its out of warranty.

Should I bring them to a honda dealer like larke hoskins to change it or should I go and bring them to a non-dealer servicing? I want to get an original parts for that as well.

If it is a non-dealer? Which mechanic service should I go for? Any recommendation? I live around Kensington area.

Any idea how much changing that will cost? Thanks a lot!

ps - Have anyone tried mytekauto? Are they any good? Did a quick search saying they are pretty alright, have anyone tried using their service before?

I appreciate the help. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Stef.

Fredoops
19-05-2013, 12:28 PM
OEM water pump is about $220,

Then it's labour, I'm sure a few people here would recommend a few service places they trust.

Clause
19-05-2013, 05:45 PM
OEM water pump is about $220,

Then it's labour, I'm sure a few people here would recommend a few service places they trust.

First, thank you very much for the reply.

Is it better to use OEM part or ?

This is my first time owning a car. So I'm just starting to learn everything.

Yeah can anyone suggest a few good places to service my accord euro? Thanks a lot guys!

aaronng
19-05-2013, 09:11 PM
It's odd that a 2008 model would need a water pump replacement so soon. What was wrong with it? Was it using a non Honda coolant (non-blue coolant)?

iRoik
19-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi Clause,

I don't know any garages up that way, but the Burwood Garage in Burwood (Inner East) is quite good, has competitive prices and Chris is especially friendly.

There might also be a defect with your power steering hose. I suggest that you get that checked by a Honda dealer - Just tell them you bought it second hand and don't know if it's been done. They'll check and replace it for free if need-be. From experience, Yarra Honda are very efficient and professional. Being a recall, it won't cost you a cent although you should confirm that with them before hand.

I think what you should do is ring around first, ask for a rough estimate (they probably won't give you a direct quote). Most charge by the hour, so you can compare the costs that way. Try some dealers too.

Good luck

EDIT: Check to see if your VIN number is in the recall range first:
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1001465

Clause
20-05-2013, 12:31 AM
It's odd that a 2008 model would need a water pump replacement so soon. What was wrong with it? Was it using a non Honda coolant (non-blue coolant)?

Hi aaronng,

According to the mechanic that checked it, there's a slight leakage from it. It is using Honda coolant I believe. (its blue in color.) So I want to get it checked and see whether there's a need to replace it or not.

Clause
20-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi Clause,

I don't know any garages up that way, but the Burwood Garage in Burwood (Inner East) is quite good, has competitive prices and Chris is especially friendly.

There might also be a defect with your power steering hose. I suggest that you get that checked by a Honda dealer - Just tell them you bought it second hand and don't know if it's been done. They'll check and replace it for free if need-be. From experience, Yarra Honda are very efficient and professional. Being a recall, it won't cost you a cent although you should confirm that with them before hand.

I think what you should do is ring around first, ask for a rough estimate (they probably won't give you a direct quote). Most charge by the hour, so you can compare the costs that way. Try some dealers too.

Good luck

EDIT: Check to see if your VIN number is in the recall range first:
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1001465

Hi iRoik,

Thanks for your reply and information. Do you have an address or a website for me to check it out? Did a quick search, can't find the exact address of the shop.

For the power steering hose, I just checked it and my car VIN number is not inside those list. So I'm guessing it should be safe yeah.

ps - on the side note, have anyone tried mytekauto in kensington? Below is their website. Appreciate all the input. Many thanks!

http://www.mytekauto.com.au/

DreadAngel
20-05-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't know mytekauto...

But Top One (http://toponeauto.com.au/) is highly reputable =)

Clause
20-05-2013, 12:45 AM
I don't know mytekauto...

But Top One (http://toponeauto.com.au/) is highly reputable =)

Hi DreadAngel,

Thanks. Do they supply original honda parts or?

Do you reckon I should go for original part or go for an after market part?

I'm just so new to owning a car. This is my first car. So pardon me for all the questions.

Thanks!

DreadAngel
20-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi Stef,

From memory they can supply OEM Honda parts =)

Personally, there are parts that you can go aftermarket, others you shouldn't trust. Water Pump for example I would not go aftermarket unless the factory one is known to be weak and the aftermarket is actually an improve, Water Pump such a critical part that you just can't take the gamble imo.

Its ok, we all start from somewhere =)

iRoik
20-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi iRoik,

Thanks for your reply and information. Do you have an address or a website for me to check it out? Did a quick search, can't find the exact address of the shop.

For the power steering hose, I just checked it and my car VIN number is not inside those list. So I'm guessing it should be safe yeah.

ps - on the side note, have anyone tried mytekauto in kensington? Below is their website. Appreciate all the input. Many thanks!

http://www.mytekauto.com.au/

No worries. If you're VIN's not in the range then it should be fine. Although I'd double check because the last thing I want would be a fire under my bonnet. When I called up Yarra Honda, they declined saying my model wasn't recalled (my VIN WAS in the range), but I pursued the matter insisting that and they checked with Honda Head Office.

The Burwood Garage doesn't have it's own website - it's a small business but it's properly licensed and certified. https://plus.google.com/116751600930322042098/about?gl=au&hl=en
They know a lot of the local businesses around - eg. repco -, and some even give you a discount for just saying Chris sent you, others can charge to your service bill instead of you paying at the counter.

I totally forgot about this:
Scoopon is selling a voucher for ABS Auto. $29 for a Major Safety Inspection and $39 for a Full Service. Both options include One year of nation-wide Roadside Assist. I bought one myself, but I'm yet to redeem it. Either way, you can't go wrong with a full service for just $40. I've never had any problems with Scoopon or any businesses advertising on Scoopon if you're worried about that. In fact I just had an amazing professional photoshoot done with my girlfriend for only $35. They even honored the voucher even after its expiry date.
http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/40590/12-locations-1-year-road-side-assistance-plus-safety-service-and-full-major-service-upgrade-option

Also, do you live in Kensington Victoria, or NSW?

Clause
20-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi Stef,

From memory they can supply OEM Honda parts =)

Personally, there are parts that you can go aftermarket, others you shouldn't trust. Water Pump for example I would not go aftermarket unless the factory one is known to be weak and the aftermarket is actually an improve, Water Pump such a critical part that you just can't take the gamble imo.

Its ok, we all start from somewhere =)

Hmm okay better call and check with them tomorrow. Its not too far away from where I live fortunately. Yes I totally agree, if its critical I will definitely go with original part.

Do you have a price gauge? Roughly around how much should I be looking for? So I have an estimation. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more so that the service is done properly and I will be happy with it. :)

No worries. If you're VIN's not in the range then it should be fine. Although I'd double check because the last thing I want would be a fire under my bonnet. When I called up Yarra Honda, they declined saying my model wasn't recalled (my VIN WAS in the range), but I pursued the matter insisting that and they checked with Honda Head Office.

The Burwood Garage doesn't have it's own website - it's a small business but it's properly licensed and certified. https://plus.google.com/116751600930322042098/about?gl=au&hl=en
They know a lot of the local businesses around - eg. repco -, and some even give you a discount for just saying Chris sent you, others can charge to your service bill instead of you paying at the counter.

I totally forgot about this:
Scoopon is selling a voucher for ABS Auto. $29 for a Major Safety Inspection and $39 for a Full Service. Both options include One year of nation-wide Roadside Assist. I bought one myself, but I'm yet to redeem it. Either way, you can't go wrong with a full service for just $40. I've never had any problems with Scoopon or any businesses advertising on Scoopon if you're worried about that. In fact I just had an amazing professional photoshoot done with my girlfriend for only $35. They even honored the voucher even after its expiry date.
http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/40590/12-locations-1-year-road-side-assistance-plus-safety-service-and-full-major-service-upgrade-option

Also, do you live in Kensington Victoria, or NSW?

Oh I see. Because mine VIN start with the CU2, not the CL9. Okay thanks for that address link.

Oh another thanks for the promotion link. But its only applicable in Melbourne I believe? I'm in Sydney. I just realised that the burwood garage is also in VIC. My bad.

I live in Kensington NSW area.

iRoik
20-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Oh another thanks for the promotion link. But its only applicable in Melbourne I believe? I'm in Sydney. I just realised that the burwood garage is also in VIC. My bad.
I live in Kensington NSW area.

Oh that explains it :P There's also a Kensington in Melbourne. I wouldn't know any garages in Sydney then, sorry. Good luck finding what you're after.

DreadAngel
20-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Hmm okay better call and check with them tomorrow. Its not too far away from where I live fortunately. Yes I totally agree, if its critical I will definitely go with original part.

Do you have a price gauge? Roughly around how much should I be looking for? So I have an estimation. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more so that the service is done properly and I will be happy with it. :)

Hi Stef,

Prices vary, basic service with parts supplied by mechanic ~$120 - $200+ depending on grade of parts used...

Water Pump itself is $200+ I think? Top One is a little more expensive than average but workmanship is unrivalled by most =)

Clause
20-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Oh that explains it :P There's also a Kensington in Melbourne. I wouldn't know any garages in Sydney then, sorry. Good luck finding what you're after.

Hi iRoik,

Thanks for the help and info. I appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi Stef,

Prices vary, basic service with parts supplied by mechanic ~$120 - $200+ depending on grade of parts used...

Water Pump itself is $200+ I think? Top One is a little more expensive than average but workmanship is unrivalled by most =)

Hi DreadAngel,

Okay sounds good. Will ring them up later on and enquire about that. I appreciate it the help. Thanks a lot!

If anyone else have any input for any other places that I could ring up and ask, do let me know as well. Cheers.

Jasemas
20-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Where did you by the car from? Dealer or Private
Dealer - should have a warranty
Private - own your own

Good luck

Clause
20-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Where did you by the car from? Dealer or Private
Dealer - should have a warranty
Private - own your own

Good luck

Bought it privately. Manage to get a really good price for it. That's why I'm looking to service for the water pump.

HondaFab
24-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Hi Clause. We have a 2007 Euro and have always had it serviced through Tynan Honda (Kirawee), not sure how far that is from where you are but we've always found their service to be reasonable. This was our first NEW car and we were too scared to have it serviced anywhere other than a dealership (even though we probably paid more for the "privelidge"). Hope that helps.